in a house in a city in a state in a country on an
✟16,278.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone!:wave: I was a bit bored, so i decided to start a thread of my own. There's a movie quote game and a name the author game, but i've never seen a book quote game, so here goes. just guess the book that the quote comes from, and if you get it right, then you get to post a quote. i'll start out w/ a fairly easy one(especially if you read the What are YOU currently reading thread, and know what book i'm currently reading :p)

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steadfast7

Holding strong to the Truth
Nov 30, 2004
Yes!
✟11,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wuthering Heights--Emily Bronte

"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean's skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang."

Upvote 0

Dee235

Jun 20, 2004
East London
✟12,716.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Moby Dick - Herman Melville

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Upvote 0

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
“This is nothing,” cried she; “I was only going to say that heaven did not seem to be my home; and I broke my heart with weeping to come back to earth; and the angels were so angry that they flung me out, into the middle of the heath on the top of Wuthering Heights; where I woke sobbing for joy. That will do to explain my secret, as well as the other. I’ve no more business to marry Edgar Linton than I have to be in heaven; and if the wicked man in there had not brought Heathcliff so low I shouldn’t have thought of it. It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff, now; so he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he’s handsome, Nelly, but because he’s more myself than I. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton’s is as different as a moonbeam from lightening, or frost from fire.”

- Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Abiel

Missionary
Jul 24, 2004
East Anglia
✟38,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
King Lear

In my hole in the basement there are exactly 1,369 lights. I've wired the entire ceiling, every inch of it. And not with flourescent bulbs, but with the older, more-expensive-to-operate kind, the filament type. An act of sabotage, you know. I've already begun to wire the wall. A junk man I know, a man of vision, has supplied me with wire and sockets. Nothing, storm or flood, must get in the way of our need for light and ever more brighter light. The truth is the light and light is the truth.

Upvote 0

elf_lady_9

the book loving Elven Calvinist
Mar 13, 2006
in a house in a city in a state in a country on an
✟16,278.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Period said:
"But. but.. My Lord! He promised us a handsome reward! " Separtist leader in the book
"What? You don't think I'm handsome? " Darth_Vader before killing the leader.

u have to guess the previous quote before you can post your own. besides, is that even from an actual book? :confused: :p

Abiel said:
In my hole in the basement there are exactly 1,369 lights. I've wired the entire ceiling, every inch of it. And not with flourescent bulbs, but with the older, more-expensive-to-operate kind, the filament type. An act of sabotage, you know. I've already begun to wire the wall. A junk man I know, a man of vision, has supplied me with wire and sockets. Nothing, storm or flood, must get in the way of our need for light and ever more brighter light. The truth is the light and light is the truth.

Invisible Man

"She never told her love, but let concealment, like a worm in the bud, feed upon her damask cheek. She pined in thought; and with a green and yellow melancholy, She sat like Patience on a monument. Was not this love indeed? We men may say more, swear more, but our shows are more than will; for still we prove much in our vows, but little in our love."

Upvote 0