Book of Mormon and the Virgin Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother Simon

And His name shall be called Wonderful...
Aug 2, 2004
Texas
✟9,744.00
Faith
Catholic
Don't be deceived.

"If you’re asked by Mormon missionaries to point out examples of such errors, here are two you can use.

We read that Jesus "shall be born of Mary at Jerusalem, which is in the land of our forefathers" (Alma 7:10). But Jesus was born in Bethlehem, not Jerusalem (Matt. 2:1).

If you mention this to a Mormon missionary, he might say Jerusalem and Bethlehem are only a few miles apart and that Alma could have been referring to the general area around Jerusalem. But Bethany is even closer to Jerusalem than is Bethlehem, yet the Gospels make frequent reference to Bethany as a separate town."

http://www.catholic.com/library/problems_with_the_book_of_mormon.asp

Many many errors in the BoM.

-Peace-

Although this is true, it, in my opinion, is still a pretty weak argument against the Book of Mormon. From spending a little time in General Apologetics, inconsistencies and contradictions can be found to be abundant in the Bible as well if peered at from the outside.

With love,
Simon

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was reading the Book of Mormon the last week and came across this verse. Notice how it says Mary was "a precious and chosen vessel."

If you deal with a lot of Mormons who question the importance we place on Mary, you can point to their own scripture that shows how important Mary is to God.

:wave:

This OP is most :cool: encourging . . .

Thanks for sharing it . . .

The Blessed Virgin:D , is all I live for . . .

:angel:

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I got into a big argument with an LDS missionary once about Mary and how we "worship" her.

Me too. In fact the missionaries and I were having a nice friendly conversation at my table outside when the conversation turned to Mary. The "lead" missionary stood up, tried to posture over me, and practically yelled at me about it. His partner was aghast. Of course, they were asked to leave. I really don't think that they have any love for Mary or her position as Mother of God. Oh, that's right, to them Jesus is just a god an exhalted man, so Mary can't be "Mother of God". And yes, they do believe that "Heavenly Father" had physical relations with Mary so that Mary conceived Jesus. I've read the writings of LDS prophets that say so. And as for statements in the Book of Mormon that contradict Mormon beliefs, there are many, yet it seems that no LDS loses any sleep over it. Any questions must be buried immediately so they can each "bear their testimonies" every month.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Although this is true, it, in my opinion, is still a pretty weak argument against the Book of Mormon. From spending a little time in General Apologetics, inconsistencies and contradictions can be found to be abundant in the Bible as well if peered at from the outside.

With love,
Simon

Oh, I do not speak from the outside out, but from the inside out.

The difference between the Bible and the Book of Mormon, except where the Bible (KJ) was copied, are not the same.Their god is not the God you believe in. Altho truth be known, I can take the BoM and prove by their own scripture, which they keep changing that they are wrong in many things by their own "God given" scripture. Do not jump into Mormonism willy nilly. They are fine and usually good people as most people are. But do not be deceived with their beliefs. They speak the vital Christian words but mean something far different than Christianity. For instance there are many God's and the God we worship is just one of them. They strife to become a god themself. Woman can only be the prime wife in heaven of their god, who was their husband on earth. Altho polygamy is now nix here, after death it is not. As for Mary, that, in my opinion is the least of the trouble with the Mormon religion. I could go on and on. Get yourself a good book or go talk to a priest who can help you both with some book and otherwise also.

Go deeper than skin deep, my friend.

-Peace-

Reactions: AMDG
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I was reading the Book of Mormon the last week and came across this verse. Notice how it says Mary was "a precious and chosen vessel."

If you deal with a lot of Mormons who question the importance we place on Mary, you can point to their own scripture that shows how important Mary is to God.
I'm confused. Are you suggesting we use false scripture to instruct?

Upvote 0

Brother Simon

Aug 2, 2004
Texas
✟9,744.00
Faith
Catholic
Oh, I do not speak from the outside out, but from the inside out.

The difference between the Bible and the Book of Mormon, except where the Bible (KJ) was copied, are not the same.Their god is not the God you believe in. Altho truth be known, I can take the BoM and prove by their own scripture, which they keep changing that they are wrong in many things by their own "God given" scripture. Do not jump into Mormonism willy nilly. They are fine and usually good people as most people are. But do not be deceived with their beliefs. They speak the vital Christian words but mean something far different than Christianity. For instance there are many God's and the God we worship is just one of them. They strife to become a god themself. Woman can only be the prime wife in heaven of their god, who was their husband on earth. Altho polygamy is now nix here, after death it is not. As for Mary, that, in my opinion is the least of the trouble with the Mormon religion. I could go on and on. Get yourself a good book or go talk to a priest who can help you both with some book and otherwise also.

Go deeper than skin deep, my friend.

-Peace-

As someone who was baptised, confirmed, and ordained with the priesthood in the LDS Church, I still stand by what I said.

I have been far deeper than skin.

With love,
Simon

Upvote 0

Brother Simon

Aug 2, 2004
Texas
✟9,744.00
Faith
Catholic
Me too. In fact the missionaries and I were having a nice friendly conversation at my table outside when the conversation turned to Mary. The "lead" missionary stood up, tried to posture over me, and practically yelled at me about it. His partner was aghast. Of course, they were asked to leave.

That's terrible! When I used to go with the missionaries, the number one rule was to never make anyone feel uncomfortable. If the people didn't like what they were hearing, we were supposed to stop and talk about something else. It's a matter of respect, and obviously that missionary had very little.

I really don't think that they have any love for Mary or her position as Mother of God. Oh, that's right, to them Jesus is just a god an exhalted man, so Mary can't be "Mother of God".

They believe in a Heavenly Mother, so to them, viewing Mary as Mother of God is an insult to her. Also, they believe not just Christ, but Heavenly Father is an exalted man.

And yes, they do believe that "Heavenly Father" had physical relations with Mary so that Mary conceived Jesus. I've read the writings of LDS prophets that say so.

Yes, the LDS prophets have spoken on this, but the criteria for making it official doctrine has not been met. As of now it is theological speculation within the LDS Church.

And as for statements in the Book of Mormon that contradict Mormon beliefs, there are many, yet it seems that no LDS loses any sleep over it. Any questions must be buried immediately so they can each "bear their testimonies" every month.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Whenever I bore my testimony, there was no burial. The conflicts in the BoM can be dealt with the same way as the conflicts in the Bible can be.

With love,
Simon

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
As someone who was baptised, confirmed, and ordained with the priesthood in the LDS Church, I still stand by what I said.

I have been far deeper than skin.

With love,
Simon

Forgive me for assuming your past church relationships. Altho not receiving the priesthood, I was born and raised Mormon and spent a good number of years there. My love of knowledge sent me, for many hours, days etc. to the library at BYU. A great resource, and in the end an eye opener and help to my many questions.

I also stand by what I have typed and could go on and on with much more. However, I feel if anyone has an interest in the Mormon Church, this board ain't agoing to cut it for lack of space and time. Also my suggestion of taking a detour by a good Priest is not a bad idea.

God's blessings to you, Brother Simon

-Peace-

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brother Simon

Aug 2, 2004
Texas
✟9,744.00
Faith
Catholic
Forgive me for assuming your past church relationships. Altho not receiving the priesthood, I was born and raised Mormon and spent a good number of years there. My love of knowledge sent me, for many hours, days etc. to the library at BYU. A great resource, and in the end an eye opener and help to my many questions.

I also stand by what I have typed and could go on and on with much more. However, I feel if anyone has an interest in the Mormon Church, this board ain't agoing to cut it for lack of space and time. Also my suggest of taking a detour by a good Priest is not a bad idea.

God's blessings to you, Brother Simon

-Peace-

I 100% agree! Forgive me if I came across as less than charitable. Much love to you Tigg!

God's peace,
Simon

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
the number one rule was to never make anyone feel uncomfortable.

That's probably why his partner was so aghast.

BTW, I've entertained more sets (and even triplets!) of missionaries than you can imagine. Most are very respectful (if not unbelievably lacking in correct information about our Church.) And testimonies are born whenever the LDS come across conflicting information, but also every month at Fast and Testimony Sundays.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My heart goes out to those who have lost a family member to the Mormon church. I would rather have mine, if they must leave the Catholic church, to at least remain in the House of Christianity, which are those Protestant churches.

My shock at finding out and double-triple checking, that the God I always had from my youth up, who I relied on, was lying, the bottom line and one property that God must have,did not - and this by the Mormons own scripture and explanation etc. Tore my world apart. A lot of shock and heart ache. I will pray for those who have family members that have gone over to the Mormon church. Altho the Mormon church is great socially I pray that God will help them to find the right path - back to Him.

Everyone have a beautiful Sunday! God bless us all.

-Peace-

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.