Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Lord Jesus condemned the scribes and Pharisees about how they followed aspects of the Sinaitic Law.

Sinaitic Law in Numbers 15:37-41 (NASB)
37 The Lord also spoke to Moses, saying, 38 “Speak to the sons of Israel, and tell them that they shall make for themselves tassels on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and that they shall put on the tassel of each corner a cord of blue. 39 It shall be a tassel for you to look at and remember all the commandments of the Lord, so as to do them and not follow after your own heart and your own eyes, after which you played the harlot, 40 so that you may remember to do all My commandments and be holy to your God. 41 I am the Lord your God who brought you out from the land of Egypt to be your God; I am the Lord your God.”

Sinaitic Law in Numbers 15:38 (NASB)
38 “Speak to the sons of Israel, and tell them that they shall make for themselves tassels on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and that they shall put on the tassel of each corner a cord of blue.

Matthew 23:5 (NASB)
5 But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries1 and lengthen the tassels2 of their garments.

Footnotes:

#1 Phylacteries are small cases containing scripture texts worn on the left arm and forehead for religious purposes.

#2 Tassels here in Matthew 23:5 and fringe in the following New Testament verses are the Greek kraspedon which in the New Testament means a fringe, tuft, or tassel.

However, according to the following scriptures the Lord Jesus dressed in the Jewish tradition with blue tassels (Greek kraspedon) on the corners or on his outer garment or either he wore the shawl with tassels.

Matthew 9:20 (NASB)
20 And a woman who had been suffering from a hemorrhage for twelve years, came up behind Him and touched the fringe (Greek kraspedon) of His cloak;

Matthew 14:36 56 (NASB)
36 and they implored Him that they might just touch the fringe (Greek kraspedon) of His cloak; and as many as touched it were cured.

Mark 6:56 (NASB)
56 Wherever He entered villages, or cities, or countryside, they were laying the sick in the market places, and imploring Him that they might just touch the fringe (Greek kraspedon) of His cloak; and as many as touched it were being cured.

Luke 8:42-44 (NASB)
43 And a woman who had a hemorrhage for twelve years, and could not be healed by anyone, 44 came up behind Him and touched the fringe (Greek kraspedon) of His cloak, and immediately her hemorrhage stopped.

Siince the blue tassels (Greek kraspedon) were attached to the garments of the Lord Jesus, do you think the Lord Jesus also wore the phylactery as commanded in the Sinaitic Law?

Sinaitic Law in Deuteronomy 11:18 (NASB)
“You shall therefore impress these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontals on your forehead.

Such might make one rethink the artistic representations of the Lord Jesus during his teaching and healing ministry and how antisemitism influences Christian beliefs.

Reactions: Ken Rank

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While "Sinaitic" just seems like religious verbiage... the fact is this, Yeshua haMashiach (Jesus the messiah) was a Jew, a rabbi to some extent... who kept the law (ate clean, observed the Sabbath and feasts... and worth tzitziot... what you have as "fringes") and did not have the hang up against the law or Jewish traditions that modern Christians do. Now YES... he rebuked certain things but he did not rebuke all Pharisees or all Jewish practices. In fact, I can show where he took part in thing that are found outside of the bible, and in at least one example, only in the Talmud. Yet... the idea of a "Jewish Jesus" (and that having any effect on context) is just outside the grasp of understanding for many Christians today.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Blue tassels; aka tallit. :)

View attachment 205922
Not tallit... the fringes hanging at the bottom of the tallit. The braided strings hanging at the 4 corners would have had (and do have) a blue thread in them. The tallit probably wasn't around in messiah's day... at least as it appears now.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Siince the blue tassels (Greek kraspedon) were attached to the garments of the Lord Jesus, do you think the Lord Jesus also wore the phylactery as commanded in the Sinaitic Law?
No I don't. God told them to make fringes, where to put them, and the color of cord to include, blue.
God never told them how to make boxes, to put Torah scriptures in them.

Here is a scripture that says the same thing about the hand and between the eyes. Did God mean for them to tie unleavened bread to their hand and heads?
YLT
Exo 13:6 `Seven days thou dost eat unleavened things, and in the seventh day is a feast to Yehovah;
Exo 13:7 unleavened things are eaten the seven days, and any thing fermented is not seen with thee; yea, leaven is not seen with thee in all thy border.
Exo 13:8 `And thou hast declared to thy son in that day, saying, ` It is because of what Yehovah did to me, in my going out from Egypt,
Exo 13:9 and it hath been to thee for a sign on thy hand, and for a memorial between thine eyes, so that the law of Yehovah is in thy mouth, for by a strong hand hath Yehovah brought thee out from Egypt;
Exo 13:10 and thou hast kept this statute at its appointed season from days to days.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In fact, I can show where he took part in thing that are found outside of the bible, and in at least one example, only in the Talmud.
Please share that example. Thanks

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please share that example. Thanks
On the last great day of the feast (the 8th day of Sukkot although this day does stand alone)... Yeshua said, "He that believes on Me, as the scripture has said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." While to some this statement might seem out of the blue (what does "water" have to do with the last great day?) it wasn't. The water libation (or "water pouring") ceremony took place on that day, is only found in the Talmud, and he had to be around that (and we see no rebuke of it) in order for the context of his words to have his intended meaning. That is one example, there are others.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mark 6:56 (NASB)
56 Wherever He entered villages, or cities, or countryside, they were laying the sick in the market places, and imploring Him that they might just touch the fringe (Greek kraspedon) of His cloak; and as many as touched it were being cured.
Prophecy fulfilled? I believe so. Jews first, then the Gentiles.

Zec 8:23 Thus said Yehovah of Hosts: In those days take hold do ten men of all languages of the nations, Yea, they have taken hold on the skirt of a man, a Jew, saying: We go with you, for we heard God is with you!

That word translated as 'skirt' in Hebrew is 'extremity, border, corner, etc.'

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On the last great day of the feast (the 8th day of Sukkot although this day does stand alone)... Yeshua said, "He that believes on Me, as the scripture has said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." While to some this statement might seem out of the blue (what does "water" have to do with the last great day?) it wasn't. The water libation (or "water pouring") ceremony took place on that day, is only found in the Talmud, and he had to be around that (and we see no rebuke of it) in order for the context of his words to have his intended meaning. That is one example, there are others.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We see him rebuke Pharisees and assume he means "all Pharisees" and "all they believed and taught." But that isn't true... He stood against and rebuked only that which stood in opposition to God's will and character. The water pouring ceremony was part of a prayer for rain for the next harvest season. That doesn't conflict with anything.... not does Hanukkah which honors work that God did for His people and thus we see Yeshua at the Temple at this time, no rebuking it... it honored God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Prophecy fulfilled? I believe so. Jews first, then the Gentiles.

Zec 8:23 Thus said Yehovah of Hosts: In those days take hold do ten men of all languages of the nations, Yea, they have taken hold on the skirt of a man, a Jew, saying: We go with you, for we heard God is with you!

That word translated as 'skirt' in Hebrew is 'extremity, border, corner, etc.'
That word is the corner where the tzitziot would have been attached. There is a painting of a first century church that was found in the remains of a 3rd century building that depicted men and women wearing the tzitziot (fringes) from the corners of their outfits (something akin to a robe). These things are a reminder to follow God's commandments... kind of the biblical version of the WWJD bracelet. :)

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That word is the corner where the tzitziot would have been attached. There is a painting of a first century church that was found in the remains of a 3rd century building that depicted men and women wearing the tzitziot (fringes) from the corners of their outfits (something akin to a robe). These things are a reminder to follow God's commandments... kind of the biblical version of the WWJD bracelet. :)
Yes, I know what the tzitzit is for and where they were. I have been studying for a few years now. :) I appreciate new insights wherever I can get them.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I know what the tzitzit is for and where they were. I have been studying for a few years now. :) I appreciate new insights wherever I can get them.
Sorry... I knew you knew... was kind of sharing that for others but it sounded as if I was trying to teach you something you already knew. :)

Upvote 0

the old scribe

old scribe
Site Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Excellent analogy. Can you provide references and details on the painting for the rest of us? Such illustrations provide relevance and support for teaching.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

the old scribe

old scribe
Site Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While "Sinaitic" just seems like religious verbiage... the fact is this, Yeshua haMashiach (Jesus the messiah) was a Jew, a rabbi to some extent... who kept the law (ate clean, observed the Sabbath and feasts... and worth tzitziot... what you have as "fringes") and did not have the hang up against the law or Jewish traditions that modern Christians do. Now YES... he rebuked certain things but he did not rebuke all Pharisees or all Jewish practices. In fact, I can show where he took part in thing that are found outside of the bible, and in at least one example, only in the Talmud. Yet... the idea of a "Jewish Jesus" (and that having any effect on context) is just outside the grasp of understanding for many Christians today.

Sinaitic Law is not intended to be meaningless verbiage but an accurate description for the reference. The term is used by many scholars to specifically identify references to Exodus at Mount Sinai, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy. Mosaic Law might seem preferable but scholars seem to use Sinaitic Law since the Law is not the law of Moses but the Law of YHWH given at Sinai. Sinaitic Law identifies the time and location when YHWH revealed the Law.

Many terms used by scholars which might seem strange or academic to us common Bible students but have excellent reasoning to support their use - just as in the synoptic gospels and many more terms. Such terms provide exactness while including the necessary categories.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Not tallit... the fringes hanging at the bottom of the tallit. The braided strings hanging at the 4 corners would have had (and do have) a blue thread in them. The tallit probably wasn't around in messiah's day... at least as it appears now.

Thank you for the clarification, although it seems to me the Jewish people are world champions at continuing traditions. Unless someone can prove something very like the tallit wasn't around in 1st Century Judea, I would assume it was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
We see him rebuke Pharisees and assume he means "all Pharisees" and "all they believed and taught." But that isn't true... He stood against and rebuked only that which stood in opposition to God's will and character. The water pouring ceremony was part of a prayer for rain for the next harvest season. That doesn't conflict with anything.... not does Hanukkah which honors work that God did for His people and thus we see Yeshua at the Temple at this time, no rebuking it... it honored God.

No, he rebuked from the inside, just as I am far more likely to criticise Anglicanism than any other faith tradition. It is what is familiar.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sinaitic Law is not intended to be meaningless verbiage but an accurate description for the reference. The term is used by many scholars to specifically identify references to Exodus at Mount Sinai, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy. Mosaic Law might seem preferable but scholars seem to use Sinaitic Law since the Law is not the law of Moses but the Law of YHWH given at Sinai. Sinaitic Law identifies the time and location when YHWH revealed the Law.

Many terms used by scholars which might seem strange or academic to us common Bible students but have excellent reasoning to support their use - just as in the synoptic gospels and many more terms. Such terms provide exactness while including the necessary categories.
I know what it is used for, brother, I just tend to shy away from using such terms. Pauline? Makes a guy sound smart but I would rather see substance and the ability for one to communicate God's word then to hear stuffy scholars hide their bias behind phrases the masses don't even understand. I also don't think some of these words/phrases are as accurate as some "scholars" believe. For example, the law that was given at Sinai was not new, it had been understood (at least the do's and don'ts) for a long time. I have an article I have written where I compiled 10-15 examples of the law being understood pre-Sinai. What happened at Sinai is that the law was "written" where it hadn't been before. And, Israel was about to become a nation and the Torah (a more accurate and biblical word IMO) was to become Israel's "rule of law" and thus there were additions to Torah at Sinai. Among them were the judgments and ability to prosecute, because, again, Torah would be used as the law of the land... once they entered.

I have found that most Christian scholars who use "Sinaitic" mean the "Old Covenant Law" as a whole, and yet the commandments themselves... that which God viewed as holy and righteous behavior (and that which was unholy) was understood before Sinai.

There are many atheists who believe Hammurabi's Code, which came into existence "about" 200 years before Sinai, was the first written law and Moses copied it. It was, perhaps, the first written and there are MANY similarities between his laws and Torah. This is a point that has CAUSED atheism because the unlearned look at this and have no answer. But once we understand that Torah (again, the do's and don'ts) were understood before Sinai... then we have no issue seeing that Hammurabi is actually the one who was inspired by that which was already understood... in other words, he copied God's law (in parts), not the other way around.

The relief on the church wall I will link in a bit... have to find it, stuck away in an email somewhere. :)

Blessings.
Ken

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the clarification, although it seems to me the Jewish people are world champions at continuing traditions. Unless someone can prove something very like the tallit wasn't around in 1st Century Judea, I would assume it was.
Tradition simply means "that was has been passed down." In Western Christianity, the word has taken a negative connotation but truly a tradition can be good or bad... and neutral. Here is an example of neutral....

You have assumed the tallit (as we see them today) were around in the first century. You don't have proof, you have read this or have been taught this... it has been passed down to you, but it isn't true. This isn't a bad thing to believe, it isn't harmful, it really makes no difference.... but it isn't true.

You have asked me to prove there wasn't one. How can I prove that something didn't exist at the time somebody else is saying they did. You can prove they did, if they did, because you would have evidence but there isn't any... that is why I am saying they came later. Look, you are looking at a people who basically wore robes. And ATTACHED to the robes were a cloak of sorts that they would pull up over their head when praying. The tzitziot (braided fringes see Numbers 15:37-41 ) is what the Jews reference as proof of the historical tallit but those verses are talking about the braided tassels and that they were to have blue. They ASSUME the "4 corners" are the tallit but the "4 corners" are idiomatic just as the earth is said to have 4 corners. The relief from that first century church reveals robes with a belt that has tassels hanging from them and at what we would call corners (above where our modern pockets are on jeans) hung a blue thread in addition to the rest already hanging.

Upvote 0