Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’ve noticed how this rhythm of the seasons and the habits built upon them can deeply inform my spiritual life.

Memories of northern Ohio summers at home are vivid in my mind. Throughout these warm months, my mom carefully tended a beautiful garden at our home, and I loved being her little sidekick, taking mental notes as I watched each intentional step. As August turned to September, she gave a little extra attention to her garden beds, being sure to rescue anything that might be kept through the winter. She would harvest what she could and simply savor the rest until the first frost.

I watched my mom employ many practices: cutting flowers for vases while they still bloomed (and always relishing the joy they’d bring all week), saving seeds, drying herbs, picking vegetables to chop and freeze or can. Even though the sun was still high, she was preparing for the months ahead.

As I’ve grown up and learned to practice some of these rituals on my own, I’ve noticed how this rhythm of the seasons and the habits built upon them can deeply inform my spiritual life.

This year, as the days begin to shorten, I’ve started thinking about what to save, what to savor, and what I’ve learned through the process — in both my garden and in my heart.

A Daily Examen

Continued below.