✟7,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Good Day!

Unfortunately, my wife and I had to make a very bad discovery. We have found out that our oldest child (13 years old) was watching filthy inappropriate contentographic videos on the internet. Naturally, we talked to him about this issue and explained the dangers of inappropriate contentography. He promised to not watch it again, but now realising how sudden such a problem can occur (we are a deeply religious family), I am asking you fellow brothers and sisters for help. We would like to ban all possibilities of inappropriate contentography from our house, without completely preventing our children of using their smartphones. If someone has a solution, please please help us!

May the Lord protect us.

• Prayers
Reactions: dqhall

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day!

Unfortunately, my wife and I had to make a very bad discovery. We have found out that our oldest child (13 years old) was watching filthy inappropriate contentographic videos on the internet. Naturally, we talked to him about this issue and explained the dangers of inappropriate contentography. He promised to not watch it again, but now realising how sudden such a problem can occur (we are a deeply religious family), I am asking you fellow brothers and sisters for help. We would like to ban all possibilities of inappropriate contentography from our house, without completely preventing our children of using their smartphones. If someone has a solution, please please help us!

May the Lord protect us.
I am at work currently, but if you take some time to read through the top few links, they do have many tips on how to secure your home.

OneTab shared tabs

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn’t worry too much . I told my two sons that treating women like sex dolls would make the women hate them and that most inappropriate content is a selfish male fantasy that doesn’t reflect how women think. I also advised them that if they weren’t in love to leave the vagina alone as women aren’t sex dolls .... even if she wanted it. I didn’t ban them from watching it but any bills that needed payment because of their stupid behavior that came to the house were their responsibility and I didn’t let them weasel out of it. I think I had to do that once.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟243,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The simplest first step that I know of is OpenDNS Family Shield. It is free and will block all blacklisted inappropriate contentographic material that attempts to go through your household router. After that is in place you can start looking for a more fine-grained solution, ideally one that would provide you with alerts when access is attempted.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"We would like to ban all possibilities of inappropriate contentography from our house, without completely preventing our children of using their smartphones."
Unfortunately 100% prevention while allowing access to the internet isn't possible.
You can reduce the odds of them accessing it by the above methods, but there is no full proof method.
Best method is talking to them, then removal of phone use except in common areas.
But once they leave the house, not much you can do except raise them right.
Any one of their friends can download videos for them and transfer them to the phone, bypassing any restrictions you've got.
Or they can just google stuff like "how to bypass parental filters" or if you're using xyz service, how to bypass xyz serive.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"We would like to ban all possibilities of inappropriate contentography from our house, without completely preventing our children of using their smartphones."
Unfortunately 100% prevention while allowing access to the internet isn't possible.
You can reduce the odds of them accessing it by the above methods, but there is no full proof method.
Best method is talking to them, then removal of phone use except in common areas.
But once they leave the house, not much you can do except raise them right.
Any one of their friends can download videos for them and transfer them to the phone, bypassing any restrictions you've got.
Or they can just google stuff like "how to bypass parental filters" or if you're using xyz service, how to bypass xyz serive.
I use kaspersky parental protection on all my kids phones. It gives the parent alerts in an email or text whatever you want. It blocks all inappropriate contentography. But what you want to do is put google safe search on, google how to do that, as well as put youtube restrict mode on. Those are basic blockers. On youtube, you will have to log into a parents google account or a separate created account just for this, and have it pass word protected. Do that on computers and on phones, the computers you can lock. The phones you will have to check regularly if they have those settings still on, because they can go into settings and turn all that off without a password. The other thing you can do is create a google account for your kids. Google does protect children, but the way they do it is block access to youtube all together. If you don't put restrict mode on, they can see suicide stuff, strip teases, kissing video's and a host of inappropriate stuff I used to stem off of, when I was quitting inappropriate content. It's just a softer version of inappropriate content. The other thing you will want to do is if you have a streaming service like netflix you will want to put the user they log in on their device as a child, not as an adult. It will block nudity. If they log in as an adult netflix has movies that have nudity, as well as suicide stuff, and other innapropriate things. Chrome also has a word blocking app that you can install. So if they are on a computer and for instance are searching up bikini contest. Well you can block that word bikini, and it will block any website that has bikini in the search title, that includes youtube, google etc. I think it's called blocksite (website blocker) for chrome, and it is password protected so someone cannot uninstall it or even mess with extensions at all. Then you will need to unactivate internet explorer in windows, and uninstall all other browsers that don't have those protections. I also use something called bluecoat k9 protection, it's free. Its a software you can install on windowns, and it allows you to block all inappropriate content on a computer, as well as other types of websites, This webpage has a screen shot on how to set up the settings on it, so that it does not block every single website. StockTrader4God: Staying pure online (a devotion) (post 2 of 3)

Reactions: jonasnoah
Upvote 0

jonasnoah

May 29, 2020
Idaho
✟7,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much for all replies.
I use kaspersky parental protection on all my kids phones. It gives the parent alerts in an email or text whatever you want. It blocks all inappropriate contentography. But what you want to do is put google safe search on, google how to do that, as well as put youtube restrict mode on. Those are basic blockers. On youtube, you will have to log into a parents google account or a separate created account just for this, and have it pass word protected. Do that on computers and on phones, the computers you can lock. The phones you will have to check regularly if they have those settings still on, because they can go into settings and turn all that off without a password. The other thing you can do is create a google account for your kids. Google does protect children, but the way they do it is block access to youtube all together. If you don't put restrict mode on, they can see suicide stuff, strip teases, kissing video's and a host of inappropriate stuff I used to stem off of, when I was quitting inappropriate content. It's just a softer version of inappropriate content. The other thing you will want to do is if you have a streaming service like netflix you will want to put the user they log in on their device as a child, not as an adult. It will block nudity. If they log in as an adult netflix has movies that have nudity, as well as suicide stuff, and other innapropriate things. Chrome also has a word blocking app that you can install. So if they are on a computer and for instance are searching up bikini contest. Well you can block that word bikini, and it will block any website that has bikini in the search title, that includes youtube, google etc. I think it's called blocksite (website blocker) for chrome, and it is password protected so someone cannot uninstall it or even mess with extensions at all. Then you will need to unactivate internet explorer in windows, and uninstall all other browsers that don't have those protections. I also use something called bluecoat k9 protection, it's free. Its a software you can install on windowns, and it allows you to block all inappropriate content on a computer, as well as other types of websites, This webpage has a screen shot on how to set up the settings on it, so that it does not block every single website. StockTrader4God: Staying pure online (a devotion) (post 2 of 3)
Thank you so much for your help!

Upvote 0

jonasnoah

May 29, 2020
Idaho
✟7,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
First of all, thanks very much for all replies - much appreciated :D
Apparently, completely blocking inappropriate content and similar filth without turning off the internet is truly almost impossible. We found this guide on the internet and we will try it now. It teaches the proper way of dealing with kids in such a situation:
OYPV2

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First of all, thanks very much for all replies - much appreciated :D
Apparently, completely blocking inappropriate content and similar filth without turning off the internet is truly almost impossible. We found this guide on the internet and we will try it now. It teaches the proper way of dealing with kids in such a situation:
OYPV2

all the stuff I use is free, so there is that. Of course their are paid versions that probably perform better. Let me know if you find any good paid services.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day!

May the Lord protect us.

Use openDNS instead of your providers DNS. There are instructions on their web page. This will block the ability to resolve inappropriate contentographic sites. However, this will only work on your WIFI and if you kids turn off WIFI in your house on their phones they can still surf to inappropriate contentographic sites. There are some workarounds to make it harder but you will need some app to modify the name server or DNS on an Android phone, not sure about an iPhone. You can search for this online. Set name server on an android phone. Some good tutorials will pop up. Unfortunately in most cases if the kids are savy enough they can change what you set and on a PC they can, if they know how, bypass the DNS set by your access router or device which is sent as part of the DHCP process when you connect. This can be done on the PC if one knows how. You can probably find an app that allows you to turn some of that off within the App but I am not certain a person cannot bypass that if technical enough. Best of luck.

You can private message me if you want me to give you more details.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The simplest first step that I know of is OpenDNS Family Shield. It is free and will block all blacklisted inappropriate contentographic material that attempts to go through your household router. After that is in place you can start looking for a more fine-grained solution, ideally one that would provide you with alerts when access is attempted.

It works great if the kids don't know how to bypass and if they are on WIFI. If they are on the carriers network I think there are apps you can put on the phone. But this is a really good first step and unless the kids figure out how to bypass it works great. Easy to get, not an app, just a setting or two on your router in the DHCP settings.

• Agree
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0