• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Bloated....

Hannah Katke

Jul 29, 2015
✟7,724.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
So I'm 17 and have had very irregular periods from the get go. However I have never experienced bad bloating before hand until this time. I haven't had a period since last October and I'm starting to bloat really bad. Because of the fact I'm irregular my periods have always been really heavy and I get super sick. I've passed out from blood loss several times. What should I do??? I have a picture attached of just how bloated I am. I'm a small girl A cups and size 6 is getting to big for pants so this is really weird for me.... Any tips?? I'm getting really nervous about it starting.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 100

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I sometimes feel like my period should be renamed as my exclamation mark, and from you've written it sounds like it would be more accurate for yours, too. I'm sorry it's been miserable. My doctor told me that it's common for teens to have irregular periods, and that in our twenties they should become more regular. I use an app to track my cycle and it does help to give more of a timeframe for when to anticipate it. The bloating is unfortunately not something that we're as likely to grow out of with time. Many females experience it during PMS and their period. There are ways you can help to alleviate it, such as cutting back on your intake of salty and processed foods, drinking more water and less carbonated drinks, and temporarily avoiding foods that are more difficult to digest (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beans). You don't need to cut back on your total food consumption for the day, but try to not have large meals that might make you feel worse. Smaller meals and snacks might help. I try to cut back on my carbs a little and get in more protein, like having smoothies made with plain Greek yogurt (Fage has about 22 grams for a cup). You might not want to exercise, but it could make you feel better. You don't have to do anything strenuous or elaborate. Yoga, walking, or a short simple routine like one you can find on YouTube are fine. I rarely ever take baths, but during PMS a long hot soak really does help alleviate cramps and reduce stress. Heating pads can help, too. If it's really severe then I'll take a Midol or Advil.

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/bloated-and-sick-around-period

I also have fainted while on my period, and I've become very dizzy at times as well. It's always jarring, but my doctor said it's not that unusual or alarming for teens and younger women because of the hormonal fluctuations we experience. It is most often caused by what is called vagal overstimulation. It's sort of like when your computer overheats from too much going on and shuts down or freezes. Stress and dehydration can contribute to the chance of it happening. If you're concerned, you could make an appointment with your doctor or just bring it up the next time you're there. I don't really think it's a cause for concern, though. It might just give you more peace of mind to have your doctor tell you that than me, though, ha.

I hope you feel better soon.

Upvote 0

Hannah Katke

Jul 29, 2015
✟7,724.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I sometimes feel like my period should be renamed as my exclamation mark, and from you've written it sounds like it would be more accurate for yours, too. I'm sorry it's been miserable. My doctor told me that it's common for teens to have irregular periods, and that in our twenties they should become more regular. I use an app to track my cycle and it does help to give more of a timeframe for when to anticipate it. The bloating is unfortunately not something that we're as likely to grow out of with time. Many females experience it during PMS and their period. There are ways you can help to alleviate it, such as cutting back on your intake of salty and processed foods, drinking more water and less carbonated drinks, and temporarily avoiding foods that are more difficult to digest (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beans). You don't need to cut back on your total food consumption for the day, but try to not have large meals that might make you feel worse. Smaller meals and snacks might help. I try to cut back on my carbs a little and get in more protein, like having smoothies made with plain Greek yogurt (Fage has about 22 grams for a cup). You might not want to exercise, but it could make you feel better. You don't have to do anything strenuous or elaborate. Yoga, walking, or a short simple routine like one you can find on YouTube are fine. I rarely ever take baths, but during PMS a long hot soak really does help alleviate cramps and reduce stress. Heating pads can help, too. If it's really severe then I'll take a Midol or Advil.

http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/bloated-and-sick-around-period

I also have fainted while on my period, and I've become very dizzy at times as well. It's always jarring, but my doctor said it's not that unusual or alarming for teens and younger women because of the hormonal fluctuations we experience. It is most often caused by what is called vagal overstimulation. It's sort of like when your computer overheats from too much going on and shuts down or freezes. Stress and dehydration can contribute to the chance of it happening. If you're concerned, you could make an appointment with your doctor or just bring it up the next time you're there. I don't really think it's a cause for concern, though. It might just give you more peace of mind to have your doctor tell you that than me, though, ha.

I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you. I'll give it a shot

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Timahani

Jan 6, 2012
United States-Arizona
✟43,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I had this happen to me a lot. I am not trying to be personal and no need to respond to this. Sometimes when girls are virgins are the vaginal opening is small, blood is not released very well and there is a lot of retention of fluid. Also hormones make you retain a lot of water. When I got really sick and bloated, my muslim friend from Morocco bought me some mint tea and girl. I thought it would not work. but it really made that air come out.

You can go to FRYS or WALMART and buy Moroccan Mint tea....I also mix it with green tea. but you can also drink it straight. And it definitely helps you with that bloating for sure!

Upvote 0