Visit site
✟1,357,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read a lengthy meme on social media yesterday that describes the false message of the gospel which is widely being spread throughout the church here in America. Now, it has an element of truth to it, for deception often blends truth and lies together in order to deceive people. So it isn’t all wrong, but it isn’t all right, either.

Now this is written from the vantage point of a singular person and this person (I am going to choose female) first listed all the things she had done wrong in her life. And then she thanked God that she wasn’t too lost or broken to be saved by his grace, “which covers a multitude of sins.” And then she continued, “It's not because I am a good person, it's because I know that I am not, that I trust fully that He is a good God.”

So, where is the mention of humbling herself before God in genuine repentance and of choosing to now turn from her sins to now walk in obedience to the Lord and to his commands (under the New Covenant), in walks of surrender and submission to God, and in walks of holiness and righteousness and no longer as a slave to sin? This is not mentioned at all. She admits that she is not a good person and yet she continues..

Because despite my many downfalls:
I am (John 3:16)
I am (Romans 15:7)
I am (Psalm 111:9)
I am a . (John 1:12)
I can my anxiety ( Philippians 4:6-7)
I have (Proverbs 16:4)
I am (John 8:36)
I am (1 John 1:9)
I am (Ephesians 2:8-9)
I will not be defined by my bad decisions and sinful nature. I am who He says I am. I walk with Jesus not because I'm perfect, but because HE is.
" For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
If you're a wretch like me, I ask that you share the hope that comes only from Jesus.

Now, is it true that, as followers of Jesus Christ, that we are not yet fully perfect, even though we are being perfected by God? Yes, it is true. Is it true that we might still fail (sin) sometimes? Yes, it is true. And is it true that our salvation is not of our own doing, but that it is a gift to us from God, and that it is not of our own fleshly works that we are saved, lest we should boast that we somehow earned or deserved our own salvation of our own accord? Yes, that is also true. But what is the overall message here?

There is no mention of repentance, and the suggestion is that she still is not a good person and that she is a person of many downfalls, some of which she listed, who still makes bad decisions and who is still of the sinful nature. And there is no mention of being crucified with Christ in death to sin nor of being raised with him to walk in newness of life in him, no longer in slavery to sin, but now in walks of obedience to the Lord. There is no indication of a change of heart and mind towards God at all. And yet she is claiming the promises of God over her life. But God’s promises have requirements.

For, if we read most of these Scriptures she referenced, in context, we will see that we must walk in the light (truth, righteousness) and no longer in darkness (sin, wickedness) in order to be saved and to have eternal life with God. For if we claim to be in fellowship with God while we walk (in practice) in sin, we are liars. And we will see that forgiveness comes after or in conjunction with true repentance and walks of obedience to our Lord and that we are created in Christ Jesus for GOOD WORKS which God prepared in advance that we should WALK IN THEM (1 John 1:5-10; Ephesians 2:10).

And we will see that the life of a true follower of Jesus Christ is not one who claims to be still walking in sin, making bad decisions of the sinful nature, and who is a person of many downfalls who is not a good person. But a true follower of Jesus Christ is one who professes to have died with Christ to sin and who is living to his righteousness, not in absolute sinless perfection, but no longer walking (in conduct, in habit) in sin, but who now walks in holiness and in righteousness in the power of God (Romans 6:1-23; Romans 8:1-14).

Are we absolutely perfect in every way? No! But we should be no longer walking in sin, but now we should be walking in holiness and in righteousness, in obedience to our Lord, in humble submission to his divine will and purpose for our lives. For this purpose Jesus died on that cross. For, the hope that comes from Jesus is a hope which transforms our hearts and lives and which turns us from darkness (sin) to light (righteousness) and from the power of Satan to God so that we can receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those sanctified by faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 26:18).

“And he said to all, ‘If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels’” (Luke 9:23-26 ESV).

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:6,14-15; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Dwelling In Beulah Land

By Miles C Austin (1911)

Far away the noise of strife upon my ear is falling;
Then I know the sins of earth beset on every hand;
Doubt and fear and things of earth in vain to me are calling;
None of these shall move me from Beulah Land.

Far below the storm of doubt upon the world is beating,
Sons of men in battle long the enemy withstand;
Safe am I within the castle of God’s word retreating,
Nothing there can reach me, ’tis Beulah Land.

Let the stormy breezes blow, their cry cannot alarm me;
I am safely sheltered here, protected by God's hand;
Here the sun is always shining, nothing there can harm me;
I am safe forever in Beulah Land.

Viewing here the works of God, I sink in contemplation;
Hearing now His blessed voice, I see the way He planned;
Dwelling in the Spirit, here I learn of full salvation,
Gladly I will tarry in Beulah Land.

I'm living on the mountain, underneath a cloudless sky,
I'm drinking at the fountain that never shall run dry;
Oh, yes! I'm feasting on the manna from a bountiful supply,
For I am dwelling in Beulah Land.

Caution: This link may contain ads

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone."

Filled already with the Holy Spirit, and having much faith (so that God raised a dead girl during his prayer), nevertheless Peter also sinned gravely just like every Christians does at times (and must confess):

11 When Cephas {Peter} came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned.
(Peter at that time, before he later repented of it, had done the deadly sin that will send one to hell of refusing to fellowship with other believers, since they were not physically circumcised)

Of course, as we read in Acts, later Peter will have repented of this deadly sin...

Which is what we all must do, as we occasionally take our eyes off Christ and stumble.

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone."

Filled already with the Holy Spirit, and having much faith (so that God raised a dead girl during his prayer), nevertheless Peter also sinned gravely just like every Christians does at times (and must confess):

11 When Cephas {Peter} came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned.
(Peter at that time, before he later repented of it, had done the deadly sin that will send one to hell of refusing to fellowship with other believers, since they were not physically circumcised)

Of course, as we read in Acts, later Peter will have repented of this deadly sin...

Which is what we all must do, as we occasionally take our eyes off Christ and stumble.

The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
Read the Scriptures I noted. Not my words.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read the Scriptures I noted. Not my words.
In the very many devotional posts I've read of yours (dozens), you do well at correctly conveying what's in the New Testament.

What most people need the most today, who already believe that is, is to be reminded they must continue to confess their sins, as they go along, and it's the most missing teaching of all: that Christian believers that have real faith must continue to confess sins as they walk through life. It's a wonderful teaching in 1rst John 1:5-2:2: we both are forgiven through Christ because we admit we sin, but also encouraged and guided to continue to sin less and less, and confession is so key to that progress of doing less sin. It's because we confess that we gradually become less sinful. (for instance, doing half as much sin, and then later half as much again, and later even less, and later even less often...)

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,357,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the very many devotional posts I've read of yours (dozens), you do well at correctly conveying what's in the New Testament.

What most people need the most today, who already believe that is, is to be reminded they must continue to confess their sins, as they go along, and it's the most missing teaching of all: that Christian believers that have real faith must continue to confess sins as they walk through life. It's a wonderful teaching in 1rst John 1:5-2:2: we both are forgiven through Christ because we admit we sin, but also encouraged and guided to continue to sin less and less, and confession is so key to that progress of doing less sin. It's because we confess that we gradually become less sinful. (for instance, doing half as much sin, and then later half as much again, and later even less, and later even less often...)
The Scriptures I noted and even many that the "meme" person noted teach that if we continue in deliberate and habitual sin, if sin is what we practice, and if righteousness is not what we practice, and if obedience to our Lord is not what we practice, and if we continue living like that, and we do not repent (turn away from living in habitual and deliberate sin), we will not inherit eternal life with God. For the word "confess" has to do with having the same mindset about our sin as God does and in 1 John 1 it says that if we walk in the light (truth and righteousness) the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sins. We cannot knowingly and willfully continue in deliberate and habitual sin as our practice and be saved from our sins and on our way to heaven unless we turn from our sin and we obey the Lord in practice.

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:6,14-15; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Upvote 0