swansea
✟15,334.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Apologies if this is already been discussed, i foolishly couldn't find the search tool.

My wife understandably doesn't want to watch films where Jesus' name is used as a proxy for an exclamation or swear word.

We use IMDB to identify whether or not a film has any blasphemy. However I've failed to find a site that explains exactly when the blasphemy occurs. Any suggestions?

She is particularly enjoying the marvel series, and likes Iron Man, and we can watch with the kids, but believe there is only one instance of blasphemy in this film; if I can find when this occurs and avoid it, then possibly we can watch it together!

many thanks for reading this, and any suggestions
K

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife understandably doesn't want to watch films where Jesus' name is used as a proxy for an exclamation or swear word.
Your profile says that you are female. If you have a wife, you have more pressing problems than someone else's blasphemy...

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm afraid I'm not actually a christian...
Here is the problem with your question about blasphemy. Obeying the Bible on such issues is often healthful/beneficial in this life, but if you haven't squared away your standing with Jesus, it has nil effect in the next. It is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

OTOH, if you would surrender to Jesus, He promises to send the Holy Spirit to guide you through these kinds of questions (including what the Bible says and advice from fellow believers).

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Apologies if this is already been discussed, i foolishly couldn't find the search tool.

We use IMDB to identify whether or not a film has any blasphemy. However I've failed to find a site that explains exactly when the blasphemy occurs. Any suggestions?

She is particularly enjoying the marvel series, and likes Iron Man, and we can watch with the kids, but believe there is only one instance of blasphemy in this film; if I can find when this occurs and avoid it, then possibly we can watch it together!

K
I use several parental review sites, here are some. Some movies will be on one and not the other, IMDB actually started a parental review section to their site. If you search "parental review" before typing in a movie, IMDB may have a parental review of it, and it will pop up on google. For instance this search "parental review star wars episode IV" shows a link to IMDB in the first few links. But you may want to double check the christian ones first, as they may have more details.

Here are some christian versions:

https://christiananswers.net/spotlight/home.html
Home | Movieguide | Movie Reviews for Christians
https://www.pluggedin.com/
Parent reviews, Family reviews | Common Sense Media

• Useful
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe since your wife is uncomfortable with movies like that and watching it would be going against her conscience then you shouldn't watch them with her out of love. I noticed you said you aren't a Christian but this principle is based on Romans 14 & Romans 15.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom

K
Yeah it's a real challenge my friend to ensure you're providing appropriate entertainment for your family. We had a rule of thumb when I raised my kids that if something was excessive it was turned off. There can be no way to redeem a movie if it just goes on and on and on with the craziness. My wife and I very seldom even watch a movie anymore but everyone has to get the feel of what's right for them. We all might have a different tolerance level when it comes to these things.

I've always found it amusing going to Christians movie review sites and you get Christian after Christian dumping on a film that they went to see, making light of ones who enjoyed it and yet they themselves keep going to the theaters watching the films. If it's wrong for me...what about them? :scratch:

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

K

as some others have mentioned, movies can pass the time ( I posted some sites where you can get a moral breakdown of a movie (a movie guide, or parental guide of a movie), however let me be clear. I sort of stopped watching movies. It may be that I have been working, but I notice that my mental abilities are clearer when I am not seeing so many scantily dressed women for example. Even in PG13 movies, or PG movies. In real life you can just look away, but when watching a movie with others, it makes it sort of weird when you are putting your hand over your eyes every few minutes. We live in a sex saturated society, and I have been free from inappropriate contentography for over 6 years, but I still had an issue with lust for a long time until relatively recently. Even with a lust addiction, God can still give victory. But it involves reducing the inputs. Sometimes that means not browsing social media (something I still do), or watching a movie. Movies are not bad necessarily, but they usually typify women in a unusual way. The majority of women in america are overweight. But in movies they are usually very skinny. So again watching movies for example puts a burden on women in general to look a certain way. (the way they see in the movies). So anyway, I know you are not a christian and most of this may seem to be hogwash to a non christian, but I am sure other christians reading this will see that it hits home. Take care. I hope it works out for you, just listen to the wisdom other christians provide here.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

K

Imagine if there was a movie that insulted the One you loved. Would it really matter if the rest of the movie was great or awesome? No.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is indeed a good spot! (I'm afraid I'm not actually a christian [but am a man], and so made the profile in her name, but have her blessing to ask this question!)

Check out this mini comic book:

full

Chick.com: This Was Your Life

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums