Blackjack and Design

What applies to the blackjack anecdote?

• The two hands were a natural occurrence.

• There was a designer that somehow influenced the outcome.

• God did it.

• Some sort of cheese related explanation.....

Results are only viewable after voting.

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

immadatyou.gif

Folks, this thread had quite a clean up and may get more. The rules violated include:

Flaming and Goading
● Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
● Do not attack another member's character or actions in any way, address only the content of their post and not the member personally.
● NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, or smileys clearly meant to goad.

Flaming and Goading
● Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
● Do not attack another member's character or actions in any way, address only the content of their post and not the member personally.
● NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, or smileys clearly meant to goad.

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

If you have had issues with another member on another forum, it does not belong here. Nor is it on topic to discuss those problems and can be seen as flaming and harassment.

It is also not okay to threaten to report anyone.

it is also not okay to post off topic.

Continuing to violate those rules will lead to thread closure and perhaps more.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Once while playing blackjack, I was dealt a pair of aces in a row. On both hands, I split the aces and was dealt a face card on each ace resulting in four blackjacks two at a time.There were multiple players at the table so calculating the odds would require a bit of time and memory. Suffice it to say, the odds of this happening are quite low. Now obviously before this, the dealer shuffled the cards and had dealt out several hands before this occurred. If we were to intricately examine the dealer shuffling and were able to count the cards as they came out we could easily see the process that led to my two lucky hands.

The above anecdote was accomplished through natural means. The dealer shuffled, cards were dealt, I got my hands.

Is there any reason to include an element of design in this scenario? In my opinion, no. It is a superfluous element since we already know or could possibly know the process of how the hands came about.

If you think that design is required in any of this, explain why.

If you don't understand blackjack, then don't even try to explain anything.

In all of our lives there will be many, many occurrences. Some of them will be more improbable than others. Some of them will be very, very improbable, on occasion. Looking back, after they have happened, we might remark on them with interest, but some such are bound to happen. In other words, paradoxically as it sounds, having improbable events occur is not improbable. What is improbable is calling them out in advance.

Consider buying a lottery ticket. Will you win? Probably not. But somebody does, finally, which is not at all improbable, since so many millions of people buy tickets. The ticket winner afterwards should not necessarily think she was selected by the lottery commission to be the winner.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Except nothing was called out in advance. The entire design argument focuses on an outcome and claims it was too improbable to happen naturally, therefore there must be a designer. The blackjack example shows an improbable event with no design necessary to cause it.

Upvote 0