Detroit area
✟22,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
First of all, I go to a Christian(Church of Christ) college that has conservative traditional roots. More recently, our college has made a goal to restore race relations and tear down denominational barriers through a diversity team. It's a great idea as I am all for mending fences between races as well put all Christians on equal ground. And other than one racially charged chapel they put on, I've been ok with the group actions as a whole.

Now they've gone too far.... They have instituted a black student support group at my college. It's to accomodate those of the "black culture". :scratch: Let me ask you guys, do you think a black culture exists? And let me know about what you think you would do given the situation. Is this something you would support or not? Maybe I am just off-base here, I just find it to be racist.

Matt.9:22

I've got mustard seed faith!
Dec 6, 2004
Texas
✟3,671.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
hmm...I don't know about having a group specifically for one group. At our school we have the office of diversity and cultural affairs and groups such as LULAC, NAACP, NACW and all ofthe other minority representation groups fall under their umbrella. But only representing one minority seems unfair. And creating a university sanctioned chapel that only acknowledges one culture's religion is kind of asking for problem. On both campuses that I've attended school we have chapels that offer non-denominational church service (although they are christian and don't really acknowledge other religions). They operate under the idea that we all serve the same God so we can put our particulars aside and serve Him together.

Racist...hmmm....are people of other races allow to create such groups, or attend the functions of this current group? I tend to be somewhat hesitant and in using the race card...I would need more information.

There is definitely a black culture. It tends to erroneously clumped in with the hip-hop, basketball culture, but it does exist. Culture consists of religious beliefs, familial traditions, culture celebrations, and all of these exist in black america so I feel it would be awfully short sighted to say that black culture does not exist. Black culture may bot be as prominent or strong as other cultures but it does exist, and it is growing stronger.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now they've gone too far.... They have instituted a black student support group at my college. It's to accomodate those of the "black culture". :scratch: Let me ask you guys, do you think a black culture exists? And let me know about what you think you would do given the situation. Is this something you would support or not? Maybe I am just off-base here, I just find it to be racist.

So, are you opposed to any group of students being supported, or only black students?

Jocks, women, biology majors, those preparing for the GRE, international students, psych majors, commutijng students, married students... depending upon the campus, there are support groups and employees for all kinds of groups of students. Does it matter is there is or is not a "black culture"? if a group of students are getting support that will help them in their college experience, why are you opposed to this?

Upvote 0

Terri12345

I'm me
Mar 30, 2002
Chicagoland suburbs
Visit site
✟16,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think that instituting groups like "black support group" does nothing more than redefine racial barriers.

People are people.

Unless there's some sort of "African immigrant support group"...that would make sense.

But, why not have a support group for "girls with brown hair"? It just seems ridiculous to me.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like a fine barrier to integration, if you ask me. The church is supposed to lead the world with integration, since we are all one in Christ Jesus. However, this is putting up a segregated group within the church. It doesn't sound any better to me than sending blacks to the "black church" down the street instead of making a seat for them in an open pew.

Upvote 0

willard3

Professional accomplice
Dec 18, 2005
✟10,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, do the black students themselves want this group or do they find it offensive? Do they themselves feel that there is a need for it or is it being pushed on them by others?

And that's the big question. Granted, the black students tend to hang around each other anyway. At least, that's they way I've often seen it. My school has very few black students, but they're always walking around with non-black people rather than in racial clumps.

Personally, I have one word for the "diversity boards" and such: Codswallop.

Most of the time all these boards do is further divide along racial lines. Emphasize that we're Americans, not hyphenated Americans.

Upvote 0

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
While in college, I was a member of several small groups.

There was one for Christian students, and there was another one for Caribbean students, and there was one for students studying commerce.

I can tell you that these groups (especially ones based on race) aren't there to divide people along racial lines. They're fun social groups that just cater to the cultural interests of students of a certain heritage or race.

So, for example, the Caribbean students association had certain functions that involved guest speakers from a Caribbean background. They'd talk about challenges that they faced that were either cultural or language based, etc.

We also had parties and social functions that played soca, reggae, calypso, and the food was culturally based as well.

Same went for the Christian club. We just catered to Christian interests. And the Commerce club catered to the interests of students who one day wanted to become accountants or economists, etc.

I see that the argument for some here is that there "is no black culture". I'm not sure what gives anybody the right to say that. It's not just about hip-hop and basketball. But that's not even the point of the clubs or groups anyway.

These groups allow for a venue where black students (or students of whatever race or background the club/group caters to) to have discussions and meetings on topics that have a specific significance on their existance.

Black students face specific challenges that white or asian or latino students do not. White students face specific challenges that black or asian or latino students do not. There's no point in denying this.

A specific example for the black students in this particular club can include the challenges that they face as stereotype breakers. Black youth are often labelled with the stigma of not having much desire or success in the post-secondary arena. I'm sure that these students at the college have to face criticism from people in their own community who throw comments at them like, "What? You think you're better than US now that you're in college? Why don't you stop wasting your time in school and try to get a basketball scholarship or something?"

These are the types of issues that they have to deal with and that they're VERY likely to receive "support" with.

So please, don't take so much offense to it. It has nothing to do with what you think it does.

Reactions: Matt.9:22
Upvote 0

Matt.9:22

I've got mustard seed faith!
Dec 6, 2004
Texas
✟3,671.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
And that's the big question. Granted, the black students tend to hang around each other anyway. At least, that's they way I've often seen it.

That made me think of something someone once asked me: Why do the black kids always hang together. Well, A) there aren't that many of us here and sometimes you need the comfort of being around someone who was raised like you, experienced similar things ad shares your culture perception of things B)We're not the only group that does this. It's like the question, why do the black kids all sit on the left side of the cafeteria. Answer: Because the hispanic kids took all seats in the back and the white kids took all the seats on the right.

We tend to flock toward makes us more comfortable. I consider myself to be diverse. In fact me and my friends call ourselves the rainbow coalition (not that rainbow) because when we hang together anybody who doesn't know us sees a black girl, a hispanic girl, an irish guy and a white guy. But reiterating my point, you tend to flock what's comfortable for support and that's the purpose these groups serve. Additionally, most ethnic support groups (LULAC, NAACP, GASP, NACW,etc.) are very receptive to members outside of the target demographic that they serve so they aren't even attempting to be exclusionary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

imaniingod

Veteran
Feb 21, 2006
✟10,604.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Hello Everyone, I thought that this was an interesting topic since I am a student and I happen to be a woman of color.

I have started a group in our area but it is not geared just toward one race, but gender. It is geared toward female young adults. To motivate and build Self Esteem.

Upvote 0

pokeyliz14

CF chick
Apr 12, 2003
✟1,604.00
Faith
Baptist
I agree that this is a very interesting topic. Each race has specific problems to face that relate to their specific culture. At my school there is a support center for "multi-cultural" students, there is also one for all first year students, upperclassmen, transfer students, etc... This helps you with your grades. I belive that if you need support race is not going to stop it. The school I attend has a CBC (collegiate black christians) chapter. Our goup is a great source of support but is not only for blacks. We have two white people that attend. Anyone can attend. God wouldn't turn anyone away and we decided that neither should we...
ok but anyway.

I think that schools are realizing no matter what their reasons that black students are not always as successful as their other students as well as other ethnicities, which is why they have built support groups for students these types of students. I don't think there is much else to say except that I believe there is a black culture and that culture is unique in it's own way but also similar to other cultures to the way it accepts "foreigners". And that this difference should be recognized but in a way that is healthy.

Upvote 0

Forealzchola

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
California
✟23,254.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I myself as a black female dont agree with this action that your school has taken ...not that i agree with the church of Christ period...but this is saying our black students are struggling like you need more support than everyone else...in some way its labeling the black students as insufficent or unequipped if you know what i mean...in my opinion the only program that is needed for support groups are people that need to learn english or that are new to america....check out a very well rounded and diverse christian university called Oral Roberts University...you would love it there. God bless

Upvote 0