Bishop Michael Olson, Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth, now under criminal investigation

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FORT WORTH, Texas - A criminal investigation has been launched into the actions taken by Bishop Michael Olson against two nuns in Fort Worth in April.

According to a release, the investigation is looking into the actions taken by Olson and those in the Fort Worth diocese under his control relating to the Discalced Carmelite Mother Superior and Nuns at the Monastery of the Most Holy Trinity in Arlington.

The Mother Superior and a sister from Carmelite nuns claim Olson abused his power and inflicted moral violence and psychological distress on the Mother Superior and the rest of the nuns in multiple visits to their monastery in late April in violation of both civil and Catholic canon law.

According to the release, Bishop Olson, together with Rev. Msgr. E. James Hart and the diocesan Chancellor Sandra Schrader-Farry, with a mere 30 minutes notice, informed the sisters that they were coming to visit the monastery on April 24. They showed up also with another unnamed forensic expert and demanded entrance into the monastery, over which the Bishop has no civil or canonical authority.

Shortly after entering, Bishop Olson immediately demanded that Mother Superior Teresa Agnes Gerlach turn over her computer, iPad, and cellular phone to him without explanation.

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
FORT WORTH, Texas - A criminal investigation has been launched into the actions taken by Bishop Michael Olson against two nuns in Fort Worth in April.

According to a release, the investigation is looking into the actions taken by Olson and those in the Fort Worth diocese under his control relating to the Discalced Carmelite Mother Superior and Nuns at the Monastery of the Most Holy Trinity in Arlington.

The Mother Superior and a sister from Carmelite nuns claim Olson abused his power and inflicted moral violence and psychological distress on the Mother Superior and the rest of the nuns in multiple visits to their monastery in late April in violation of both civil and Catholic canon law.

According to the release, Bishop Olson, together with Rev. Msgr. E. James Hart and the diocesan Chancellor Sandra Schrader-Farry, with a mere 30 minutes notice, informed the sisters that they were coming to visit the monastery on April 24. They showed up also with another unnamed forensic expert and demanded entrance into the monastery, over which the Bishop has no civil or canonical authority.

Shortly after entering, Bishop Olson immediately demanded that Mother Superior Teresa Agnes Gerlach turn over her computer, iPad, and cellular phone to him without explanation.

Continued below.
This just keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. I’m almost expecting it to end in a blow-up for both the diocese and the monastery. It’s way past a soap opera as it is now.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This just keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. I’m almost expecting it to end in a blow-up for both the diocese and the monastery. It’s way past a soap opera as it is now.
It’s bizarre. I’m not too terribly impressed with this bishop’s behavior.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It’s bizarre. I’m not too terribly impressed with this bishop’s behavior.
The bishop doesn't look good at all. He looks vindictive. The Vatican, which is normally glacial, looks biased. Anything against the traditional liturgy. And if the pot allegations are even half true, the sisters look like nothing more than a bunch of flower children pretending at monasticism. Totally bizarre so far. And I do expect things to go from bizarre to slapstick in the next rounds.

The only thing that I could possibly support is that at least allegations of sexual impropriety look like they are being taken seriously. I could pretend this is a breath of fresh air after the Grindr priest got a pastoral assignment in LaCrosse for his troubles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The bishop doesn't look good at all. He looks vindictive. The Vatican, which is normally glacial, looks biased. Anything against the traditional liturgy. And if the pot allegations are even half true, the sisters look like nothing more than a bunch of flower children pretending at monasticism. Totally bizarre so far. And I do expect things to go from bizarre to slapstick in the next rounds.

The only thing that I could possibly support is that at least allegations of sexual impropriety look like they are being taken seriously. I could pretend this is a breath of fresh air after the Grindr priest got a pastoral assignment in LaCrosse for his troubles.
Yes he looks very mean spirited and the whole reason it has become as embarrassing as it is is because of his behavior. As much as he’d like to turn it around to look like he is somehow the victim here. I’m curious as to why he has reacted as he has. I can’t see anyone reacting that way unless there was already a very strong dislike already long established before all this came out as it did.

Upvote 0