Bishop Johnston of Kansas City-St. Joseph tells "Brother" Martin to cease and desist

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not sure if anyone on here is familiar with "Brother" Martin, but he's apparently well-known in fringe trad circles. He associates with Mike Parrott from "Restoring the Faith" AKA "RTF_Mike" who was the subject of Church Militant legal action for something I can't remember. Anyway, this "Brother" Martin guy presents himself as an, I believe, Augustinian religious with a habit and everything but his presence is largely just online tweeting and appearing on podcasts, etc. Apparently he's made requests to start a monastery or order or something and was already denied yet continued to masquerade as a religious even though he's never been one.

Church Militant released a letter that they somehow came into possession of from +Johnston unequivocally instructing Martin to cease and desist with all of his so-called religious activities including $170,000 he claims to have fundraised to build a new chapel that was never authorized by the bishop.

It's all a very interesting story that doesn't seem to be over. Honestly I had seen this guy over the years on twitter and assumed he was legit but I thought it was strange that his entire religious life seemed very vague and convoluted. Not many details in terms of a community or his role, never any appearances with other brothers or anything like that. Then I started seeing accusations that he was a fake but I wasn't sure, but this letter from his bishop seems to settle that.

Such is the internet, am I right? People can pretend to be whoever and whatever they want.

Here's a picture of the letter +Johnston sent to Martin, tweeted by Church Militant:

FTAZawcXEAA9Qdr.png

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm not sure if anyone on here is familiar with "Brother" Martin, but he's apparently well-known in fringe trad circles. He associates with Mike Parrott from "Restoring the Faith" AKA "RTF_Mike" who was the subject of Church Militant legal action for something I can't remember. Anyway, this "Brother" Martin guy presents himself as an, I believe, Augustinian religious with a habit and everything but his presence is largely just online tweeting and appearing on podcasts, etc. Apparently he's made requests to start a monastery or order or something and was already denied yet continued to masquerade as a religious even though he's never been one.

Church Militant released a letter that they somehow came into possession of from +Johnston unequivocally instructing Martin to cease and desist with all of his so-called religious activities including $170,000 he claims to have fundraised to build a new chapel that was never authorized by the bishop.

It's all a very interesting story that doesn't seem to be over. Honestly I had seen this guy over the years on twitter and assumed he was legit but I thought it was strange that his entire religious life seemed very vague and convoluted. Not many details in terms of a community or his role, never any appearances with other brothers or anything like that. Then I started seeing accusations that he was a fake but I wasn't sure, but this letter from his bishop seems to settle that.

Such is the internet, am I right? People can pretend to be whoever and whatever they want.

Here's a picture of the letter +Johnston sent to Martin, tweeted by Church Militant:

View attachment 324399
And here for a moment I thought this was about James Martin. One could wish.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

View attachment 324399
I think I’ve read about this guy before. It sounds vaguely familiar. If I remember correctly this Martin guy seems like fertile ground of becoming a cult leader.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And here for a moment I thought this was about James Martin. One could wish.
That would be too good to be true. I wonder what the Pope would do it Martin's bishop slapped him down like this? I have a feeling the Pope would intervene cause they're 'buddies' now.
I think I’ve read about this guy before. It sounds vaguely familiar. If I remember correctly this Martin guy seems like fertile ground of becoming a cult leader.
Truly, I get major cult vibes from this whole group. Especially Mike Parrot, I think they're sedevacantists, or borderline sedes. Either way their content is so toxic, just completely unforgiving of anyone outside the trad camp.

Upvote 0