Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Rochester, Minnesota, Catholic cemetery was vandalized on Halloween night with Satanic and vulgar graffiti.

2022110314114_cb7cf9aa4b6e05debe55166ab859bc9169c6f05706c82b8962c4277ff656b3e8.jpg

Bishop Robert Barron has pledged to reconsecrate a Catholic Minnesota cemetery vandalized on Halloween night with Satanic and vulgar graffiti.

“On this feast of All Souls, when the Church honors our beloved dead, I would like to express my outrage at this desecration and my assurance of prayers for the families of those whose final resting places were so dishonored,” Bishop Barron, the head of the Diocese of Winona-Rochester, said in a Nov. 2 statement on Twitter.

Steven Flynn, director of the diocese’s Calvary Cemetery in Rochester, told CNA that five memorial walls in the cemetery were heavily covered with blue and brown graffiti. He also said that two grave markers, a statue of Christ and a cross were covered in graffiti. The cleanup and repair costs could go as high as $8,000, Flynn estimated.

Photos of the graffiti show vulgar messages and the words “In Satan we trust.”

Continued below.
Bishop Barron Expresses ‘Outrage,’ Vows to Reconsecrate Vandalized Cemetery

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is terrible, but I'm glad to see Bishop Barron described as "outraged". He has abundant media resources and can wield that outrage effectively, I hope he truly is and truly does.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is terrible, but I'm glad to see Bishop Barron described as "outraged". He has abundant media resources and can wield that outrage effectively, I hope he truly is and truly does.
I plan on keeping up on this story. We’ll see if we hear anything more about it.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I plan on keeping up on this story. We’ll see if we hear anything more about it.

I'd like to see him get fed up, maybe being in Minnesota would be good for him in that sense. The harsh winters will give him the edge he needs to really counterpunch against the Church's enemies.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to see him get fed up, maybe being in Minnesota would be good for him in that sense. The harsh winters will give him the edge he needs to really counterpunch against the Church's enemies.
I don’t see him as an edgy priest on much of anything but if he is going to grow a spine, Minnesota would be fertile grounds to do it imo.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don’t see him as an edgy priest on much of anything but if he is going to grow a spine, Minnesota would be fertile grounds to do it imo.

I totally agree. In many ways, it's a good place to harden a guy and it has a good Catholic culture that he could work with too. So it seems, anyway.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0