Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One thing I have never understood is why some people feel that it is sinful to use birth control (even with your own spouse)

Anyone on that side of the fence willing to share their opinions?

Everyone has a right to their own personal preference, but does your preference give you the right to send missionaries to AIDS ridden countries in Africa and teach them that condoms are evil? It seems to me that this mentality does more harm than good...

Your thoughts?

http://www.rogerwendell.com/proselytizing.html
http://www.baobabconnections.org/news/?id=10084&PHPSESSID=4aa19e...

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One thing I have never understood is why some people feel that it is sinful to use birth control (even with your own spouse)

Anyone on that side of the fence willing to share their opinions?

Don't think you'll get many responses, since it's virtually an impossible viewoint to defend rationally. I think the party line of the Catholic Church (and it's mainly--though not exclusively--a Catholic doctrine) is that condoms and all other forms of artificial birth control thwart procreation, which they see as the most important natural purpose of sex.

Though I've always wondered about celibacy--which if you think about it, must be one of the most unnatural sexual behaviors of all.

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the party line of the Catholic Church (and it's mainly--though not exclusively--a Catholic doctrine) is that condoms and all other forms of artificial birth control thwart procreation, which they see as the most important natural purpose of sex.
On a related note, Ive heard some catholics say that sex while using birth control is "sex for pleasure only" and, as such, is inherently selfish (implying that selfish acts should be avoided).
I don't agree with the above statement, it's just what Ive heard from some Catholics

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, it is wrong. The purpose of sexual intercourse is to create human life.

I suppose you are going to tell me you have never, are not currently, or never will have sex unless it is with the intent of creating life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,209,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it is wrong. The purpose of sexual intercourse is to create human life.

Are you suggesting that God wants all men to suffer from prostate infections and swelling?

All accepted medical research says that it's not healthy to go for more than week without purging the system (most polite way I can think of to say it...)

What should we do in the situation where we don't want infections but can't afford to raise a family of 20???

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To what end? Our own self-destruction through over-population? Luckily, I do not take orders from the bible.
True.
Maybe, the scriptures were intended for the ancient Judeo-Christians, but not for the people of the current era.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.