Brunswick, Maine
✟21,308.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hope you guys don't mind me posting this :sorry: This is just something that comes to mind whenever I think of the Catholic Church's teaching on birth control and I wanted to see what you guys would say.

I was born with only 1 X chromosome, which means among other things that my ovaries didn't develop properly and basically do not function. They don't produce the hormones they should be producing and any eggs that may have been in there when I was born have long since disappeared. In order to avoid a number of potential health problems (not the least of which is osteoporosis) I take birth control pills in order to replace those hormones. If I were to get married, would the Church teach that it would be wrong for me to have sex with my husband while on birth control even though there is zero chance that I could have a baby either way and it is very important for my health to take the birth control?

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Usually the stock answer is that you can't have sex at all if you're on the pill - but, if you literally have no eggs and a doctor can confirm this, I can't immagine there would be an issue. You can't ever "grow more" , so you have zero chance of avoiding pregnancy , or worse yet causing an abortion, because of the pill. I'd say game on.

If you're just assuming you can't get pregnant because a doctor said that you "probably" don't have any eggs that could potentially become fertalized, that would be different. If it's impossible and a profesional has confirmed as much I can't immagine an issue.

Upvote 0

Eponine

Not. One. More.
Mar 28, 2005
Brunswick, Maine
✟21,308.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Usually the stock answer is that you can't have sex at all if you're on the pill - but, if you literally have no eggs and a doctor can confirm this, I can't immagine there would be an issue. You can't ever "grow more" , so you have zero chance of avoiding pregnancy , or worse yet causing an abortion, because of the pill. I'd say game on.

If you're just assuming you can't get pregnant because a doctor said that you "probably" don't have any eggs that could potentially become fertalized, that would be different. If it's impossible and a profesional has confirmed as much I can't immagine an issue.
*Shakes head* I wish there were any question as to whether or not I have a chance of getting pregnant, but there's not.

A little more background info
http://www.turner-syndrome-us.org/readweb.asp?wid=2908

Upvote 0

Horizonol

Aug 28, 2007
A monastery
✟8,037.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
*Shakes head* I wish there were any question as to whether or not I have a chance of getting pregnant, but there's not.

A little more background info
http://www.turner-syndrome-us.org/readweb.asp?wid=2908

This would be a question for a priest.

Using birth control is not a sin. Using birth control within marriage for the purpose of closing yourself off to fertility is.

When Catholics get married, they are to give themselves completely to their spouse. This mirrors the self-sacrifice of Christ to humanity. After all, marriage is a reflection, a miniature version of the marriage between Christ and His Bride, the Church.

A husband must give himself to his wife completely, and herself to him. To assist in this, the Church tells them of specific areas and circumstances where they need to be mindful of remaining open- and fertility is one of them. When we have sex, we are celebrating the act of complete self-giving, and to use birth control in trying to be anti-procreation is holding part of yourself back.

If we spend our life deliberately holding back part of ourselves to our spouse, what will we do at death, when we must give ourselves? We certainly risk holding back part of ourselves and thus, losing life with Christ for all eternity.

I would assume you are not committing the sin of using birth control to hold yourself back from your spouse. Yet, you are on tricky ground and this is something for a priest to answer.

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There is something called "the principle of double effect" in Catholic moral theology. It basically says that in cases where a particular action has both good effects and bad effects, the action is permissible only if it is not wrong in itself and if it does not require that one directly intend the evil result.

So...taking a hormonal pill is not evil in and of itself. There are good and bad effects- good: your medical condition is treated, bad: it renders the body unable to conceive.

There are four conditions that accompany this principle:

1. The action under consideration must be either good or morally neutral, it cannot be evil in itself.

2. The bad effect (in this case, contraceptive effect)must not be directly intended.

3. The good effect cannot be a direct result of the bad effect. (in other words, the health benefits cannot derive from the contraceptive aspect)

4. The good effect must be at least equal in proportion to the bad effect. This is where serious consideration and discernment must come in. In this case, would on'e medical condition be serious enough to justufy the contraceptive effect?

In your case, I would say the principle of double effect applies and it would be licit to take the pill (provided there are no other reasonable options) and continue to have sex with one's spouse.

Upvote 0

Mickeyk72

Legend
Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
✟26,834.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can't quote theology and church rule like some of the above posts but I would guess that there are multiple kinds of pills that replace hormones that you are missing, it just happens that your doctor recommended the birth control pill. I would guess that if you wanted a different hormone supplement you could ask for one. otherwise, I'd say keep doing what your doctor says since you can't concieve anyway due to your medical condition.

Upvote 0

CuriousInIL

Jan 21, 2006
Chicago, IL
✟8,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is something called "the principle of double effect" in Catholic moral theology. It basically says that in cases where a particular action has both good effects and bad effects, the action is permissible only if it is not wrong in itself and if it does not require that one directly intend the evil result.

So...taking a hormonal pill is not evil in and of itself. There are good and bad effects- good: your medical condition is treated, bad: it renders the body unable to conceive.

There are four conditions that accompany this principle:

1. The action under consideration must be either good or morally neutral, it cannot be evil in itself.

2. The bad effect (in this case, contraceptive effect)must not be directly intended.

3. The good effect cannot be a direct result of the bad effect. (in other words, the health benefits cannot derive from the contraceptive aspect)

4. The good effect must be at least equal in proportion to the bad effect. This is where serious consideration and discernment must come in. In this case, would on'e medical condition be serious enough to justufy the contraceptive effect?

In your case, I would say the principle of double effect applies and it would be licit to take the pill (provided there are no other reasonable options) and continue to have sex with one's spouse.
I do not see the need to go to a double effect analysis here, there is no bad effect, her body is already unable to conceive, the drugs are not causing that.

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi Josian,

The matter is pretty simple for me - if you cannot conceive anyway, then there is no sin with the pill. It is not intended to prevent life.

It's main use, "birth control" is not relevant in your case. It just happens that the same drug, or drugs, in the pill are a medical aid to you in other ways.

I'm not the pope, but I think you're alright with this. :)

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In your case, taking the pill will not stop you from getting pregnant....
Because you cannot get pregnant anyway.

But it is beneficial for your health [hormones] so it is not used as an evil.

It is no longer a birth control pill, because you do not have an option of getting pregnant....so you are not trying to control having children.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Eponine

Not. One. More.
Mar 28, 2005
Brunswick, Maine
✟21,308.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thank you all for your helpful responses. Though I myself am not Catholic, my family is, so I was interested to hear your input because I expect these sorts of questions will become important in a few years time if and when I am thinking about getting married.

Brightest blessings,
Joisan/Chelsea

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I do not see the need to go to a double effect analysis here, there is no bad effect, her body is already unable to conceive, the drugs are not causing that.

Because her question is about taking the pill while married, the principle of double effect is relevant in the larger context.

Upvote 0

Eponine

Not. One. More.
Mar 28, 2005
Brunswick, Maine
✟21,308.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi Joisan/Chelsea, not to hijack your thread but your faith icon says "pagan with christian influence" what does that mean?
Oh and I would not worry about you taking those hormone pills, with God all things are possible
To answer the question, it means I do not fully agree with everything about Christianity, thus I do not consider myself Christian, but I still am very influenced by Christianity so to just say I'm Pagan wouldn't be telling the whole story...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.