Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When people see these vying billboards on the highways of Oklahoma, what are they to think?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=061130_Ne_A1_Expre56692

Planned Parenthood placed three billboards in October at different locations. Each read, "Birth control is easy."
The campaign is designed to help reduce unplanned pregnancies, said Tommy Chesbro of Planned Parenthood.
Chesbro said Oklahoma has one of the worst teen pregnancy rates in the country. The program was designed with that in mind, he said.

Neubauer said she prayed about what to do, then she called the Catholic Diocese of Tulsa, which connected her with Erik Bell, the director of the diocese's

Family Life Office. "Erik and I talked, and we decided something needed to be done through the Catholic community," she said........

Neubauer attended a meeting with the church's Natural Life Advisory Board and met with friends, family and students, trying to determine how to counter the Planned Parenthood billboards.
They devised their own billboards with the message, "Birth control is harmful," placing them at 10 sites.
Chesbro said Planned Parenthood also has signs at bus stops and on city buses.
The article continues to state the position of both sides.

The Church calls birth control a virtual Pandora's Box that is responsible for all the evils we have in society today.

Planned Parenthood says that sexually active teens who don't use birth control expose themselves to sexually transmitted diseases and teen pregnancy, which results in a lifetime of poverty for the family, and a much higher than average dropout rate for teen mothers.

I just don't know whether I want to be exposed to "dueling billboards" while I'm on a leisurely drive...

And, as always, I don't think that these soundbites tell enough of the story to be helpful to teens or anyone else.

Is birth control "easy?" Well, it's easier than bringing a child into the world as a single mother who is young and unprepared....

Is birth control "harmful?" If you polled religious leaders of all denominations, you would probably find a great disparity of opinion, with a few saying it was always "harmful," and most saying that it depends on the circumstances within the individual relationships. Are the couples married? Can they adequately support the children they have? Are there health issues? Etc....

I guess that, for most people, the real question would boil down to this:

If teens are sexually active, is it more or less harmful to use birth control as well? I believe (as I think most of you do) that teen sexual activity is harmful, and that the earlier that activity begins, the more harmful it is.

Does the greatest harm occur when sexually active teens don't use birth control, or would that really be more helpful, a form of tough-love that assumes that if they mess up their lives drastically enough, they will change for the better.

Reactions: Texanna

Texanna

Sep 14, 2006
Texas
✟7,618.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think that is the question we should be asking. Of course it is easier than having a child at the age of 14 or 15, but it can be harmful to the woman taking the drugs, because all methods have side effects, except abstinence. I think the question we should be asking is, "Why are children having sex and getting diseases and having babies?" Recently, there have been ads on TV for a drug called Gardicil. It is a vaccine to prevent a certain type of cervical cancer. The cancer is caused by the HPV virus which is an STD. The vaccine is targeted for young girls and women (ages 9-28). The surest way to protect your daughters is to teach them not to have sex before they are married. I also heard briefly yesterday on the news that 'scientists' have discovered that a chemical in the abortion drug RU482 may prevent breast cancer. So I suppose next they will recommend that nine year old girls take the abortion pill just so they won't maybe get breast cancer after they get breasts. I believe that the world is trying to wipe out moral thought and behavior, and it seems that it is having some success.

Sorry about getting on my soap box. I just pray that the eyes of the world will be opened to the evil being spread like it is good, that people will repent, and our world welcome the Word of God and Jesus Christ our Savior.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Recently, there have been ads on TV for a drug called Gardicil. It is a vaccine to prevent a certain type of cervical cancer. The cancer is caused by the HPV virus which is an STD. The vaccine is targeted for young girls and women (ages 9-28). The surest way to protect your daughters is to teach them not to have sex before they are married.
I hope your not one of those people who would risk their daughters life on it.
I also heard briefly yesterday on the news that 'scientists' have discovered that a chemical in the abortion drug RU482 may prevent breast cancer. So I suppose next they will recommend that nine year old girls take the abortion pill just so they won't maybe get breast cancer after they get breasts. I believe that the world is trying to wipe out moral thought and behavior, and it seems that it is having some success.
That's the slipperiest slope I've seen in awhile. Good job.

Upvote 0

bammertheblue

Veteran
Feb 10, 2006
Washington, DC
✟10,377.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think that is the question we should be asking. Of course it is easier than having a child at the age of 14 or 15, but it can be harmful to the woman taking the drugs, because all methods have side effects, except abstinence. I think the question we should be asking is, "Why are children having sex and getting diseases and having babies?" Recently, there have been ads on TV for a drug called Gardicil. It is a vaccine to prevent a certain type of cervical cancer. The cancer is caused by the HPV virus which is an STD. The vaccine is targeted for young girls and women (ages 9-28). The surest way to protect your daughters is to teach them not to have sex before they are married. I also heard briefly yesterday on the news that 'scientists' have discovered that a chemical in the abortion drug RU482 may prevent breast cancer. So I suppose next they will recommend that nine year old girls take the abortion pill just so they won't maybe get breast cancer after they get breasts. I believe that the world is trying to wipe out moral thought and behavior, and it seems that it is having some success.

Sorry about getting on my soap box. I just pray that the eyes of the world will be opened to the evil being spread like it is good, that people will repent, and our world welcome the Word of God and Jesus Christ our Savior.

80% of people will have HPV at some point in their lives. Several of these strains can lead to cervical cancer, and the vaccine prevents this. I think it's absolutely disgusting that someone would risk their child's life to make the point that "I taught my kids not to have sex till marriage".
Sorry, this just hits a bit close to home to me, since I've had HPV and it developed into precancerous cells (I'm fine and am now HPV free and my last pap smear came back normal). If this vaccine had been available, I would have been spared the fear and the pain of what was the most terrifying, uncomfortable, embarassing, physically difficult medical procedure I've ever had.
If you're willing to gamble like that with your daughter, fine. But that's a gamble I am NOT willing to take with myself, and I am deeply offended when people insinuate that I should.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

paperkate

Rampant liberal
Jul 30, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Visit site
✟15,385.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Depending on which statistics you read, 50-80% of ALL sexually active people will be exposed to HPV at some point in their lives (one statistic says infection rate is 60% among college students alone!). It is transmitted by skin to skin contact, so even 'safe' sex-play can cause infection. Virgins can and do contract HPV!

Please tell me how protecting young girls against this nasty virus is a bad thing?

Upvote 0

Texanna

Sep 14, 2006
Texas
✟7,618.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WOW!! I sure stirred up a hornet's nest. Bammertheblue, I'm really sorry that you were sick and are offended, but I'm not sorry about what I said. My point is that our society is telling little girls they need to take a medication that will possibly prevent them from suffering the consequences of sinful behavior. You can throw all the statistics in the world at me, but that is the bottom line.

RU486 is an abortion drug. It was developed to kill babies. Yet if we find a benefit from taking it, why it can't be that bad, can it? Plus we'll get the bonus of not being inconvenienced by a bothersome pregnancy.

My slope might be slippery, but I think it is far more dangerous for professing Christians to go along with the leadings of those who despise morality and the teachings of God without considering the deeper meaning and motivation behind their actions.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
WOW!! I sure stirred up a hornet's nest. Bammertheblue, I'm really sorry that you were sick and are offended, but I'm not sorry about what I said. My point is that our society is telling little girls they need to take a medication that will possibly prevent them from suffering the consequences of sinful behavior. You can throw all the statistics in the world at me, but that is the bottom line.
No, that is not what "society is tell our little girls". The MEDICAL COMMUNITY has come up with a vaccine against a particularly common virus that can cause cancer. Why you choose to spin it the way you do indicates you have an agenda to push and are willing to fall for and spread dangerous propaganda. Shame on you.
RU486 is an abortion drug. It was developed to kill babies. Yet if we find a benefit from taking it, why it can't be that bad, can it? Plus we'll get the bonus of not being inconvenienced by a bothersome pregnancy.
Or MAYBE there is a compound in RU486 that will provide benefits to a certain at risk group of woman and have nothing to do with abortions. You wouldn't have a problem with that now would you?
My slope might be slippery, but I think it is far more dangerous for professing Christians to go along with the leadings of those who despise morality and the teachings of God without considering the deeper meaning and motivation behind their actions.
I think it's a good idea to think about things whether or not you are a professing-whatever. But the medical community does not despise morality or the teachings of God. That is something you have decided to read into it because it pleases you to do so.

Reactions: Dannager
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The National safety in driving association should be telling people to keep their eyes on the road when driving and not reading billboards!
How much trouble would one get into for making a big flashy, eye-cathing billboard near a major highway that says "you are about to be in a car crash"?

:)

Upvote 0

bammertheblue

Veteran
Feb 10, 2006
Washington, DC
✟10,377.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It's fine, don't worry about it. I don't have the right not to be offended either:)
I'm in no way convinced that having sex is sinful behaviour, and even if it is, the medical profession isn't in charge of telling people what's "sinful". This shot is a good thing. It will protect people from disease and death. Yet some are opposed to saving people's lives because they think sex is "sinful". I have a real problem with that.
Helping prevent or cure cancer is good, so no, it can't be that bad. Plus, if the person who takes it isn't pregnant, there won't even be an abortion.
If you want to not be able to control your body, that's fine. I, however, would rather not be forced to give birth against my will.

Well, since I don't see anyone despising morality, that shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: icedtea
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

icedtea

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2006
Ohio
✟30,909.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
that's fine. I, however, would rather not be forced to give birth against my will.
You know perfectly well someone will come here and say no one forced you to have sex and thats the consequneces of your action. But you are allowed to have sex without pregnancy. Hopefully science will solve that problem for good.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think that is the question we should be asking. Of course it is easier than having a child at the age of 14 or 15, but it can be harmful to the woman taking the drugs, because all methods have side effects, except abstinence. I think the question we should be asking is, "Why are children having sex and getting diseases and having babies?" Recently, there have been ads on TV for a drug called Gardicil. It is a vaccine to prevent a certain type of cervical cancer. The cancer is caused by the HPV virus which is an STD. The vaccine is targeted for young girls and women (ages 9-28). The surest way to protect your daughters is to teach them not to have sex before they are married.
Parents can teach their children that certain behaviors are sinful or inadvisable.

They can't, however, completely prevent their children from engaging in these behaviors, anyway.

Before the HPV vaccine came along, state laws began requiring Hepatitis B vaccines, first at the end of high school, eventually by sixth grade. Hepatitis B is most commonly transmitted sexually. Therefore, we have been vaccinating our children against sexually transmitted disease since at least 1993 (when my oldest child had to have the vaccine before going to college.)

I am uncertain how effective telling children, "Yes, there are medicines and vaccines to prevent HPV, Hepatitis B, and pregnancy, but we believe they are immoral so we won't let you use them," would be....

If they were in college, they could go to campus health and get these things without your permission (and your tuition and fees would pay for it.) If they are younger they could go to Planned Parenthood and get them (if there was one in their community.)

Telling your children not to have sex and refusing to provide them with the HPV vaccine is a great act of faith, but I don't think it's immoral to give them the vaccine.

Pregnancy isn't life threatening, and so I think that parents should feel perfectly free to refuse to let girls take the pill.....but I don't necessarily believe that they wouldn't manage to take it at some point in their lives anyway.

Upvote 0

bammertheblue

Veteran
Feb 10, 2006
Washington, DC
✟10,377.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Parents can teach their children that certain behaviors are sinful or inadvisable.

They can't, however, completely prevent their children from engaging in these behaviors, anyway.

Before the HPV vaccine came along, state laws began requiring Hepatitis B vaccines, first at the end of high school, eventually by sixth grade. Hepatitis B is most commonly transmitted sexually. Therefore, we have been vaccinating our children against sexually transmitted disease since at least 1993 (when my oldest child had to have the vaccine before going to college.)

I am uncertain how effective telling children, "Yes, there are medicines and vaccines to prevent HPV, Hepatitis B, and pregnancy, but we believe they are immoral so we won't let you use them," would be....

If they were in college, they could go to campus health and get these things without your permission (and your tuition and fees would pay for it.) If they are younger they could go to Planned Parenthood and get them (if there was one in their community.)

Telling your children not to have sex and refusing to provide them with the HPV vaccine is a great act of faith, but I don't think it's immoral to give them the vaccine.

Pregnancy isn't life threatening, and so I think that parents should feel perfectly free to refuse to let girls take the pill.....but I don't necessarily believe that they wouldn't manage to take it at some point in their lives anyway.

Actually, pregnancy can be life-threatening.
I just had to be nit-picky:D

Upvote 0

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
The Planned Parenthood around here can shove it, getting birth control from them is anything but "easy". Unless by "Birth control is easy" they mean "You must jump through hoops, hope to God we don't cancel your appointment an hour beforehand, and even if you do get here we make no promises that we'll do anything other than bend you over a coffee table and have our way with you. Repeatedly."

The only thing I hate more than Planned Parenthood of Indiana is the fact that without them I'd be paying ~$40 per month for the pills I need to keep me from being miserable every month. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Really? I take birth control pills to alleviate disabling cramps and I get them from my dr. If I were not covered, I would only be paying $28 for them.
Almost all the hospitals and clinics around here are Catholic, so they refuse me birth control. When I tried to get it from my doctor despite my insisting that I needed it for cramps and whatnot rather than pregnancy prevention she just gave me this snide look like "Sure you little harlot."

I did try to get it through a different doctor, but as I said it was around $40, and that was for generic. I took it for a month but it made me sick, so back to Planned Parenthood I went. :/

Upvote 0

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
My sympathies!
I must be lucky with gynos. I take Alesse and it very low dose, enough to help, but not enough to give side effects.
I hope you can find a better dr. somehow.
Well, I'm moving to Wisconsin in two weeks and still have 5 months of pills left. I only hope that Planned Parenthood up there is better organized than it is here. Well, either that or I can find a healthcare plan that I can afford that covers birth control. Unlikely, but I can hope!

Upvote 0