Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You know I have followed the Reverend Billy Graham for years and believe him to be one of the greatest Christian figures of our time.

But even great Christian ministers have to be called on it when they start letting the world influence the way the gospel is preached.

This is what Graham said on Larry King Live recently.

KING: Do you feel the same about other faiths?

GRAHAM: Absolutely.

KING: Do you feel the same about Judaism, Mormonism?

GRAHAM: Absolutely.

KING: Buddhism?

GRAHAM: I love them all, and welcome them all, and love to be with them, and friends with all of them. For example, I just talked to a man in New York City, he was a Mormon.

KING: My father-in-law.

GRAHAM: Your father-in-law. And I've loved the Mormons for years, and yet there is a big divide between the Mormons and some of the other groups. But I have great friends among the Mormons. And the same among the Catholics. Of course, I loved Pope John Paul II and watched the whole process of his suffering, his dying and the tremendous -- my daughter went to represent me ...

KING: I know. You were on with us the night he died.

GRAHAM: That's right. Thank you.

KING: But what about those faiths -- the Mormons and the others that you mentioned -- believe in Christ. They believe they will meet Christ. What about those like the Jews, the Muslims, who don't believe they ...

GRAHAM: That's in God's hands. I can't be the judge.

KING: You don't judge them?

GRAHAM: No.

KING: How do you feel...

(CROSSTALK)

GRAHAM: ... going to hell and all that.

KING: How do you feel when you see a lot of these strong Christian leaders go on television and say, you are condemned, you will live in hell if you do not accept Jesus Christ, and they are forceful and judgmental?

GRAHAM: Well, they have a right to say that, and they are true to a certain extent, but I don't -- that's not my calling. My calling is to preach the love of God and the forgiveness of God and the fact that he does forgive us. That's what the cross is all about, what the resurrection is all about, that's the gospel. And you can get off on all kinds of different side trends, and in my earlier ministry, I did the same, but as I got older, I guess I became more mellow and more forgiving and more loving. And the Jerry Falwells and people like that, I love them, I thank God for their ministry, he has a great university and two or three of my grandchildren have gone there, they have had a tremendous change in their lives for being there, and some of the other people are the same way, but at the other end of the extreme.

Ron (INAUDIBLE) here in New York years ago, preached against me, or spoke against me. I loved him with all my heard. I went to see him, and all these people.

KING: We'll be back with the extraordinary Reverend Billy Graham right after this.

Now with his infirmity and the many stents he has had placed in his brain, I give him the benefit of the doubt, but am STILL called to make clear that his stance IS NOT BIBLICAL.

The full counsel of God's Word is to be preached, not just Jesus loves me. For a second there I thought I was listening to Joel Osteen.

Billy Graham on Larry King Live

MidnightBlue

June Carter, pray for us!
May 16, 2005
✟11,111.00
Faith
Zaac said:
GRAHAM: That's in God's hands. I can't be the judge.

KING: You don't judge them?

GRAHAM: No.

[...]

GRAHAM: Well, they have a right to say that, and they are true to a certain extent, but I don't -- that's not my calling. My calling is to preach the love of God and the forgiveness of God and the fact that he does forgive us. That's what the cross is all about, what the resurrection is all about, that's the gospel. And you can get off on all kinds of different side trends, and in my earlier ministry, I did the same, but as I got older, I guess I became more mellow and more forgiving and more loving.

The full counsel of God's Word is to be preached, not just Jesus loves me.

Hard to believe that a preacher would just go around preaching love and forgiveness. Well, there are plenty of other preachers to take up the slack.

Reactions: MsAnne
Upvote 0
C

Code-Monkey

Zaac said:
Now with his infirmity and the many stents he has had placed in his brain, I give him the benefit of the doubt, but am STILL called to make clear that his stance IS NOT BIBLICAL.

The full counsel of God's Word is to be preached, not just Jesus loves me. For a second there I thought I was listening to Joel Osteen.

Are you saying that preachers should never focus or specialize in any areas or on any part of the bible? Was Jesus wrong to have summarized the law into 2 commands?

I can picture it now...

Preacher: Well folks, I'd love to talk to you about Jesus and what he did on the cross for us, and I know a bunch of you are here for the first time and really need to hear about Christ, but we're going to spend the next 10 weeks talking about the geneology. Basically we're going to trek through the entire Bible so that we cover everything because it's all equally important. So we probably won't get into anything about Jesus until sometime late next year.

Upvote 0

dr.p

next year's turkey dinner
Nov 28, 2004
here
✟984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Zaac said:
You know I have followed the Reverend Billy Graham for years and believe him to be one of the greatest Christian figures of our time.

But even great Christian ministers have to be called on it when they start letting the world influence the way the gospel is preached.

I've not listened to many of Billy Graham's sermons, but as far as I know, he preaches God's word, and doesn't change it.

In what you quoted of the conversation, I only saw Graham mention forgiveness... and not repentence... but I would assume that his sermons include a.) the acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, and b.) repentence unto forgiveness. If he only preaches that God forgives, and no repentence is required, then there's a problem... but from what I know, that's not what he does.

So, if he believes he is called not to condemn people for their sins, but to call them to God's love and to repentence, how is that unbiblical?

Everyone has a part to do... perhaps he just focuses more on his part, than on the big picture. Maybe he finds that telling unbelievers more about the true love and mercy of God than about damnation is a better way to reach them. I know there's a balance... but one conversation with Larry King does not mean that Mr. Graham has lost his.

As for Joel Osteen, didn't Paul say continually to build up and edify each other in Christ? Mr. Osteen appears to shine with the joy of the Lord... and that's not a bad thing.

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Billy Graham is not in a debate. I feel that he presents the Bible as the inerrant Word of GOD and the LORD JESUS CHRIST as a PERSONAL Savior. He presents the need for forgiveness and he speaks of all the Biblical characters as though they were real people and the Bible as real history. Graham does not quote from the Book of Mormon. He does want everyone to come and for everyone to get saved. He does not promote religion but promotes only Jesus Christ. If others want to come and listen----Graham is not going to send anyone away...

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that Billy Graham's gift is evangelism, not teaching. I love him for the souls he's saved and I love all the preachers who taught those newly saved souls what they needed to grow and go out and save others. His daughter is a great teacher, btw! :)

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
MidnightBlue said:
Hard to believe that a preacher would just go around preaching love and forgiveness. Well, there are plenty of other preachers to take up the slack.

No, it's not hard to believe because you see it everyday. And that's fine. But you got to teach the full counsel of God's Word, and not leave out the parts that make people feel uncomfortable or condemned about their sin.

No, it is not our place to condemn, but if you get to the point where you think you're supposed to be making those who do not know Christ feel good, then something is unaligned with God's Word.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Code-Monkey said:
Are you saying that preachers should never focus or specialize in any areas or on any part of the bible?

I'm saying that preachers are called to preach the FULL COUNSEL of God's Word. That doesn't mean that they can't have areas that they hold dear. But in order to teach and grow people the way that Jesus did, we are to use ALL of the Word that is Him, not just the parts that people think to be nonjudgmental.

Was Jesus wrong to have summarized the law into 2 commands?

The two laws Jesus Christ quotes covers the breadth of every word that's in His Holy Bible from start to finish.

I can picture it now...

Preacher: Well folks, I'd love to talk to you about Jesus and what he did on the cross for us, and I know a bunch of you are here for the first time and really need to hear about Christ, but we're going to spend the next 10 weeks talking about the geneology. Basically we're going to trek through the entire Bible so that we cover everything because it's all equally important. So we probably won't get into anything about Jesus until sometime late next year.

Picture this. ALL of God's Word is about Jesus Christ, and it all points to Him. It's the fact that some Christians can't quite make that connection that leads to this shameful half-preaching of God's Word. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

Code-Monkey

Zaac said:
No, it's not hard to believe because you see it everyday. And that's fine. But you got to teach the full counsel of God's Word, and not leave out the parts that make people feel uncomfortable or condemned about their sin.

No, it is not our place to condemn, but if you get to the point where you think you're supposed to be making those who do not know Christ feel good, then something is unaligned with God's Word.

So then is your basic premise that coming to know God should feel bad?

I suppose I have a very different take on it. I think knowing God is great. I feel great about knowing God. My philosophies are consistent, everything seems to fit very well, God loves me, he's forgiven me and given me new life.

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟20,718.00
Faith
Non-Denom
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

I do not see a single problem with this. Seriously, none at all. In fact, I think modern christianity would be much better off with more preachers like Reverend Graham. It's easier to spread the message of God by saying "Jesus loves you" instead "You're going to hell, sinner."

Some of you sound a little angry that he's not following all the cool fundie preachers right now who only care about making loads of rules (legalism style, baby!) and condemning everyone who doesn't share their interpretations of the bible.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
dr.p said:
I've not listened to many of Billy Graham's sermons, but as far as I know, he preaches God's word, and doesn't change it.

No one said anything about him changing the Word. :)

In what you quoted of the conversation, I only saw Graham mention forgiveness... and not repentence... but I would assume that his sermons include a.) the acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, and b.) repentence unto forgiveness. If he only preaches that God forgives, and no repentence is required, then there's a problem... but from what I know, that's not what he does.

Bu that ties in with what he said. He stressed the forgiveness yet no mention that there has to be a confession and repentance of sin. Yes Jesus Christ will forgive us. But it's time to stop leaving the unsaved thinking that there is nothing to be done by them. This is done by too many pastors already. And this is why the lives of people inside the church look just like the lives of people outside the church.

So, if he believes he is called not to condemn people for their sins, but to call them to God's love and to repentence, how is that unbiblical?

Of course he's not called to condemn people of their sin. He doesn't possess that kind of power. :) But he is called to point out sin as sin Ezekiel 3:18. And that has nothing to do with judging the person. And that's what we keep doing and have done for so long. we lead people to this false belief that because it is judging the person instead of righteously judging the person's sin, that we just can't say anything about their sin and we better just talk about God's love.

You CANNOT separate God's love from His judgment ,wrath and hatred of sin.

Everyone has a part to do... perhaps he just focuses more on his part, than on the big picture. Maybe he finds that telling unbelievers more about the true love and mercy of God than about damnation is a better way to reach them. I know there's a balance... but one conversation with Larry King does not mean that Mr. Graham has lost his.

I didn't say that he had lost his part. But as a pastor, his calling is and always will be to preach the full counsel of God's Word and not just the parts that he feels like he does not have to anymore because he has mellowed out.

As for Joel Osteen, didn't Paul say continually to build up and edify each other in Christ? Mr. Osteen appears to shine with the joy of the Lord... and that's not a bad thing.

Mr. Osteen is a pop psychologist and should be ashamed of himself everytime he pops up in that pulpit preaching an incomplete Gospel of Jesus Christ.

He will be built up by pointing out that he is to teach the full counsel of God's Word and not just the things that he believes to be noncontroversial.

Upvote 0

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Code-Monkey said:
So then is your basic premise that coming to know God should feel bad?

The basic fact is that you do NOT come to God. He comes to you. Coming to Christ should be a transforming experience involvinga confession of sin. And that needs to be made clear.

I suppose I have a very different take on it. I think knowing God is great. I feel great about knowing God. My philosophies are consistent, everything seems to fit very well, God loves me, he's forgiven me and given me new life.

But you confessed your sin. we, as pastors, have taken upon ourselves to remove the need for repentance from our sermons. We're all Jesus loves you and if you come to Jesus, He will do this and this and this and this.

Yes He will. But you've STILL got to recognize sin as sin , confess it and repent.

WE should be about the transformed life, and not just getting people to make an emotional response that means nothing because they didn't confess or repent of anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zaac

Nov 19, 2004
Atlanta, GA.
✟12,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
invisible trousers said:
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

I do not see a single problem with this. Seriously, none at all. In fact, I think modern christianity would be much better off with more preachers like Reverend Graham. It's easier to spread the message of God by saying "Jesus loves you" instead "You're going to hell, sinner."

And it continues to be a down right shame that such atrocities continue to roll off Christians tongues. :( It's VERY easy to form your own gospel while leaving out the fact that Jesus Christ spoke of hell more than anyone in the Bible. Matthew 5:38 - 47
"The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.
"As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age.
The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear."

This is why we are to preach the FULL COUNSEL of God's Word rather than the "loving" parts. It's ALL about His love.

If Jesus Christ tells the sinner to repent, what reason would we have for doing less?31Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 32I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Luke 5:31-32

If Jesus tells you that those who do evil will be cast into the fire, why would we preach less? 40"As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. 41The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. 42They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Matthew 13:40-42

Some of you sound a little angry that he's not following all the cool fundie preachers right now who only care about making loads of rules (legalism style, baby!) and condemning everyone who doesn't share their interpretations of the bible.

He's supposed to be following God and preaching the WORD(ALL OF IT) that God left to be preahed. God's already made the rules and told the overseer to preach the Gospel. Yet the overseers have taken it upon themselves to preach what THEY want instead of what God said to preach. :(

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Fear has never thrived along with God's love. In fact, I will go so far as to say that you can't have both.

It does NOT depend on us and how much we regret and repent, it all depends on Jesus. Nobody can come to to Christ unless the Father draws him. So why are we trying to scare people to the cross?

The gospel is that God has reconciled us with himself, and that's what Graham is preaching - and living. That's the reason there's never been a scandal around him, that's the reason everybody loves and respects him (except a few christians here and there), and that's why so many people have been saved as a result of his ministry.

Don't assume you'r telling the truth just because people don't like hearing it, or that someone must be some kind of a false teacher just because people like him and he refuses to judge people who believe differently.

Reactions: AJ
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,799.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Zaac said:
The full counsel of God's Word is to be preached, not just Jesus loves me.

Is that not a much more important message than all the nuances of what is and is not morally correct?

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟20,718.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Zaac said:
He's supposed to be following God and preaching the WORD(ALL OF IT) that God left to be preahed. God's already made the rules and told the overseer to preach the Gospel. Yet the overseers have taken it upon themselves to preach what THEY want instead of what God said to preach. :(

Hello pot, I'd like to introduce you to a friend of mine named kettle :) To me it looks like you (and all of fundamentalist christianity) want to preach what you want, condemnation and judgement, instead of preaching the most central and important aspect of christianity--love.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Zaac:

I have followed Dr. Graham since he started preaching in the late 40s and he has not changed his message or how he presents it one bit.

He does not say he accepts the false religions. He says he loves some people involved in them. What is your problem? Do you think we should hate someone just because they do not yet know the Truth? Or are you disturbed because he's not going about the Lord's business they way YOU think he should? Or is this your shot at "leveling" Billy?

Upvote 0