-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Biden is set to choose a female running mate. And, given his age, his VP has to be well-prepared for the presidency. This is, of course, in addition to helping him win the elections. Biden's list includes the following:

- Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan.
- Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada.
- Rep. Val Demings of Florida.
- Sen. Kamal Harris of California.
- Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota.

Who do you think would be his best choice?

MorkandMindy

Andrew Yang's Forward Party
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Andrew Yang is young, he understands numbers which is something most of the public and most of the politicians don't, his UBI /UBD plan is fair and appeals to people in both parties, he'd get my vote.

I can't think of anyone the country needs more right now.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,433.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Am I the only one who's really bothered by how overt he has been about choosing a woman? If he had searched high and low and ultimately decided that a female candidate was the best choice to round out his presidential ticket, then okay. But I can't get past the idea he's only picking a woman just for the sake of being politically correct about the whole thing, and it's very irksome to me.

As for who's best, I'm not going to wade into that debate.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Am I the only one who's really bothered by how overt he has been about choosing a woman? If he had searched high and low and ultimately decided that a female candidate was the best choice to round out his presidential ticket, then okay. But I can't get past the idea he's only picking a woman just for the sake of being politically correct about the whole thing, and it's very irksome to me.

Politically correct? On what basis do you think ALL candidates choose their running mates...??

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,263.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Candidates always try to balance their ticket. They always try to motivate voters whom they would not necessarily attract otherwise. That is why in 2016 Donald Trump, the poster child for the seven deadly sins, who displayed an appalling lack of familiarity with the Bible when giving a speech at a Christian University, chose Mike Pence. They are definitely politics' Odd Couple. And Trump should realize that he'll never get to heaven riding on the coattails of a surrogate who is more religious than he is.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Biden is set to choose a female running mate. And, given his age, his VP has to be well-prepared for the presidency. This is, of course, in addition to helping him win the elections. Biden's list includes the following:

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan. Scandal-ridden
Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada. Has declined
Rep. Val Demings of Florida. An Unknown
Sen. Kamal Harris of California. Too extreme, and California is safe for Biden already
Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota. Best on the list, or was so until the riots of this week. She was criticized as having been partial towards Minnesota police earlier in her career.

Who do you think would be his best choice?
Klobuchar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
That is why in 2016 Donald Trump, the poster child for the seven deadly sins, who displayed an appalling lack of familiarity with the Bible when giving a speech at a Christian University, chose Mike Pence.

Hey! Trump knew one more Corinthian than I did so he isn't that bad...

• Haha
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Am I the only one who's really bothered by how overt he has been about choosing a woman?

No, you're not the only one. Even if that had been his plan, I'd have preferred him to keep quiet about it. I think telegraphing it like this undermines her credibility.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Candidates always try to balance their ticket. They always try to motivate voters whom they would not necessarily attract otherwise. That is why in 2016 Donald Trump, the poster child for the seven deadly sins, who displayed an appalling lack of familiarity with the Bible when giving a speech at a Christian University, chose Mike Pence. .

Pence, long a favorite with Conservative Republicans, was chosen in a typical ticket-balancing move, but that was because Trump did not have solid credentials as either a Conservative or a Republican.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan. Scandal-ridden
Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada. Has declined
Rep. Val Demings of Florida. An Unknown
Sen. Kamal Harris of California. Too extreme, and California is safe for Biden already
Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota. Best on the list, or was so until the riots of this week. She was criticized as having been partial towards Minnesota police earlier in her career.

Klobuchar.

Klobuchar will now be off the list. Warren is too old.

The election is a referendum on Trump. HOWEVER, the black voters must come out in large numbers for the Democrats to have a convincing victory.

Harris seems most likely. As I have said, the choice is not about winning California. It is about getting black voters to turn out in PA, MI, WI and elsewhere. Women voters also need to turn out. Youth are likely to stay at home as they always have.

Harris is known. A major criticism has been that she was too tough on crime. That will now be an advantage. As far as being extreme, I believe that she will be able to back the policies of Biden.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Andrew Yang is young, he understands numbers which is something most of the public and most of the politicians don't, his UBI /UBD plan is fair and appeals to people in both parties, he'd get my vote.

I can't think of anyone the country needs more right now.

I would expect Yang to have influence in a Biden administration. He should have a cabinet position.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Klobuchar will now be off the list.
Probably, although the assistance of the media might patch over the current flap involving her, in just the same way as it has kept the lid on Biden's own misadventures in plagiarism, Ukrainian bribes, and China hijinks. She still has a chance IMO, but it looked almost as though she had been the chosen one before the last several days.

Warren is too old.
And that's not all.

The election is a referendum on Trump. HOWEVER, the black voters must come out in large numbers for the Democrats to have a convincing victory.
a key point, yes.

Harris seems most likely. As I have said, the choice is not about winning California. It is about getting black voters to turn out in PA, MI, WI and elsewhere.
No, it's not about winning California, but choosing her is possibly to kiss off some other state that might otherwise have been won.

Harris is known. A major criticism has been that she was too tough on crime. That will now be an advantage. As far as being extreme, I believe that she will be able to back the policies of Biden.
She has a personality, which some of the other contenders in the primaries seemed never to have given any thought to. The 'tough on crime' stuff would matter to blacks, especially at this moment, but because she is black, that is probably offset. And she is a radical who even participated in some of yesterday's demonstrations. So it may come down to whether or not Biden thinks he has to placate the most extreme faction of his party even at the risk of further compromising his supposedly moderate credentials.

Still, she is probably near the top of his list. Since he made that declaration about choosing a woman VP, he doesn't have very many good choices.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Harris seems most likely. As I have said, the choice is not about winning California. It is about getting black voters to turn out in PA, MI, WI and elsewhere. Women voters also need to turn out. Youth are likely to stay at home as they always have.

I agree. Biden has to have turnout to win. A difference of just over 10,000 votes statewide in 2016 cost Hillary Michigan's 16 EVs. It was because of poor black voter turnout in Detroit. In 2012, almost 809,000 votes were cast in Wayne County. Obama won over 70% of these which gave him MI's 16 EVs. In 2016, only 746,000 votes were cast in Wayne County. That's over 60,000 less votes. All because of lower turnout in the Detroit precincts. If Hillary could have mobilized even half of those voters who stayed home, she would have won the state.

It's hard to predict 5 months in the future, but I suspect the odds are pretty decent are that Joe Biden can hold the 20 states (which includes DC) that Hillary won. If he can energize enough women, minority, and younger voters to pick up just bare majorities in MI, PA, and WI, then he's over 270 EVs.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,263.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Pence, long a favorite with Conservative Republicans, was chosen in a typical ticket-balancing move, but that was because Trump did not have solid credentials as either a Conservative or a Republican.
Or a Christian or a person of integrity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
HOWEVER, the black voters must come out in large numbers for the Democrats to have a convincing victory.

And anything that looks like condemning the current riots will probably reduce black voter turnout.

However, anything that looks like supporting the current riots will lose the election.

I think that takes Amy Klobuchar out of play. Kamala Harris remains a contender.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And anything that looks like condemning the current riots will probably reduce black voter turnout.

However, anything that looks like supporting the current riots will lose the election.

I think that takes Amy Klobuchar out of play. Kamala Harris remains a contender.

I don't accept your choices. If Biden were to call all the demonstrations "riots", he would have little chance of being elected.

• Agree
Upvote 0