In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As long as you ask with a pure intent, then yes. There is nothing wrong with asking for things from God. I would warn against being angry or having ill will if you do not get it though. If it is God's will, you will receive it.

Upvote 0

christianbeginning

Sep 28, 2003
Visit site
✟309.00
Faith
Christian
Here is where it mentions being happy with your wages (2 version):

Luke 3:12-15 "Then tax collectors also came to be baptized, and said to him, "Teacher, what shall we do?" And he said to them, "Collect no more than what is appointed for you." Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, "And what shall we do?" So he said to them, "Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages."

Luke 3:14
14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages. (KJV)

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
christianbeginning said:
Here is where it mentions being happy with your wages (2 version):

Luke 3:12-15 "Then tax collectors also came to be baptized, and said to him, "Teacher, what shall we do?" And he said to them, "Collect no more than what is appointed for you." Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, "And what shall we do?" So he said to them, "Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages."

Tax colectors of the time and place were well known for their corruption. They took more than they should from ordianry poor folk, pocketing the extra.
So Jesus was telling them to be honest, and only take the fair amount.
This does not seem to me to be a teaching against wage increases.

christianbeginning said:
14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages. (KJV)

Here is this passage in the NIV, which has been translated from the originals with great care for placing words in context and culture:
Then some soldiers asked him, "And what should we do?"
He replied, "Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely--be content with your pay."

This appears to be the same as the instruction for the tax collectors - be satisfied with the correct pay to which you are entitled, and don't cheat to get more.

I believe fair pay for work is a Godly ideal, and a rise can be requested if that's what you feel is fair.

Bear in mind what someone said earlier though: ask respectfully, and don't be difficult with your employer if things don't go your way. It's good witness for Christ to work well and be co-operative and peaceable.

(You might eventually want to look around for another job though, if you really don't feel your work is being fully appreciated!)

Blessings, Susana

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.