Jun_Canada

Nov 12, 2003
✟330.00
Faith
Christian
Hi there
I am currently a university student and am thinking about looking for a NLT study bible to complement my NKJV. I dont know whether the Student bibles would be good because they are mainly focused towards jr high/high school students so. I am in my latter yrs of university. If anyone could recommend/suggest a NLT study bible I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone could comment on the translation itself, that would be awesome. I know its not supposed to be word for word and that it helps with understanding easier, but does it convey the message correctly?

Thank you

emmzee

Oct 3, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I use the NLT for my devotional/private/casual reading, but I would not usually use it for exegesis or serious study (ex when writing papers and so on) because it is as you said not a very literal translation but I do find it quite readable, and the NLT was recently revised to make it read a bit closer to the biblical text.

Keeping the above in mind, the version I have for personal reading use is the NLT Life Application Study Bible, I like it. There's a bunch of different versions available (hard, soft, leather, personal size, etc) I have the old hardcover version, here's a list of the ones that ChristianBook.com offers but you can get it at Amazon or your local Christian bookstore too:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0

apumic

Feb 27, 2006
✟15,310.00
Faith
Christian
While I agree the NLT is probably not the best translation for a serious exegesis, I've actually been pretty surprised with how well it's done in one of the Bible classes I'm currently taking in terms of being the closest to the meaning of the text. It seems to do an excellent job of drawing out the metaphors in a way that brings them into the present without violating the meaning.
Still, though, I'd suggest using a more literal translation (or, better yet, several) when doing any serious study. Better still...learn Greek! (J/K!)

Upvote 0