Bible Version Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe that the Bible is the word of God given to man that through it he might become a believer in Jesus and a faithful follower of Him. We have nearly two thousand years of proof that the words of the Bible are effectual in accomplishing its purpose. Most unfortunately, however, in modern times there have come to be persons who take delight in attacking God, His people, and His word as presented to us by God in the most accurate renderings of His word.
It’s actually the other way around. The classic Bible that has reigned supreme for hundreds of years is attacked. Granted, I do use Modern Translations and find them to be a MUST when reading the Bible because the language in the classic Bible is archaic. But Modern bibles DO teach false doctrine subtly. I already proven that and I have more where that came from. So Modern bibles cannot be our final word of authority even though they can be helpful in understanding the 1600’s English. They cannot be trusted ENTIRELY because they each say things differently and they teach wrong doctrines at times.

If all bibles subtly teach things that are different that causes confusion, and yet Scripture says God is not the author of confusion.
This is why there can only be one Word of God, and I believe it exists today in the English language.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe that the Bible is the word of God given to man that through it he might become a believer in Jesus and a faithful follower of Him. We have nearly two thousand years of proof that the words of the Bible are effectual in accomplishing its purpose. Most unfortunately, however, in modern times there have come to be persons who take delight in attacking God, His people, and His word as presented to us by God in the most accurate renderings of His word.
Are you Catholic? Do you favor the teachings of the Catholic Church? If not, then why do you favor the Nestle and Aland? It was supervised by the Vatican and I have shown these changes in Modern bibles (like the NIV) by providing a link. In other words, the Modern Bibles do make changes that favor things taught by the Catholic Church. It’s a 100% fact. Please go back and look at my previous posts for the info. or proof.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davy
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You do realize also that those believers involving the Textus Receptus line of manuscripts or bibles had died for their faith in translating it and or protecting it. William Tyndale was killed by the Catholic Church for translating a good portion of the Scriptures from the Hebrew and Greek into English. Bloody Mary (A Catholic) had killed John Rogers (pseudonym "Thomas Matthew") who translated the TR Bible known as the Matthew’s Bible. So the true words of God were soaked with the blood of the saints. What blood was spilled for the Nestle and Aland? You do realize that the Nestle and Aland is based heavily upon the Westcott and Hort text and WH (Westcott and Hort) had Unitarians on their translation team? This is why you see the Trinity and the deity of Christ attacked in Modern bibles. It does not take a detective to figure this out.

Jesus said beware of the scribes.
The scribes are those who ”tran-scribe” the Scriptures.
Who is the transcribers of the Scriptures today?
The scholars and their new modern bibles.
Jesus is saying to NOT implicitly trust them.
But yet, we know God preserved His Word somewhere.
Isaiah 34:16 is a prophecy of how “the book of the LORD” (the Bible) would exist during the end times.
This book cannot be with errors in it causing men to doubt it.
That would be illogical.
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

In the year 1605, Guy Fawkes (A Catholic) tried to kill the main man who headed up the biggest Bible translation project in human history (along with his 47 translators). This super bomb would have taken out a good portion of the city. If it would have succeeded, it would have put an end to the chosen bible that went out to the ends of the Earth to the common man causing great revivals everywhere. Yet, in these last days, men just scoff at the idea that God preserved His words (Even though God said He would do that - Psalms 12:6-7).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In the year 1605, Guy Fawkes (A Catholic) tried to kill the main man who headed up the biggest Bible translation project in human history (along with his 47 translators). This super bomb would have taken out a good portion of the city. If it would have succeeded, it would have put an end to the chosen bible that went out to the ends of the Earth to the common man causing great revivals everywhere. Yet, in these last days, men just scoff at the idea that God preserved His words (Even though God said He would do that - Psalms 12:6-7).
As to Guy Fawkes, the target of the plot Fawkes is associated with was actually to kill King James I. They grabbed Fawkes, tortured him horribly and he made a confession of days after days of torture. Then they sentenced him to be hanged, drawn, and quartered. Instead his neck was broken when hanged, and the celebration of his death still takes place around the world. Twice I have been in countries where I heard the Guy Fawkes Day celebration ( it is both anti-Catholic and ghoulish) and it is disturbing it still takes place in modern times.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You do realize also that those believers involving the Textus Receptus line of manuscripts or bibles had died for their faith in translating it and or protecting it. William Tyndale was killed by the Catholic Church for translating a good portion of the Scriptures from the Hebrew and Greek into English.
Tyndale criticized the annulment of Henry VIIII and was accused of heresy. In those days heresy often resulted in death. The truth is that in England, long before Tyndale, there were many translations of Biblical text by Catholics. To mention just a few of them, Venerable Bede, a Catholic monk, is perhaps the best known for his translation in the 700s. King Alfred the Great had not finished his translation of Psalms before he died, that would have been in the 800s. Now a lot of Biblical texts by Catholics have been destroyed, remember Protestants in England seized Catholic monasteries and gave the land to wealthy Protestants and much that was Catholic was sold off or destroyed. But some do exist, you can find some of Alfred’s translations in a manuscript dated as around 1050. These are in the English of the Saxons: The Illustrated Psalms of Alfred the Great: The Old English Paris Psalter When the Normans took over the English changed, the paraphrase of Orm is dated around 1150 and is an example of a Catholic translation into Middle English. Eventually a Catholic named Gutenberg introduced the printing press, and, of course, the first book he printed was the Bible in 1455. By the way, much of the NT of the King James Bible came from a hurried Greek translation by a Catholic priest name Desiderius Erasmus in 1516. Catholics had to flee England at one time in order to publish an English version (the Douay Rheims) of the Bible (the New Testament was first published in 1582, reprinted in 1600, 1621, and 1633, and a number of times in later centuries), they did so in France and suffered severe consequences for trying to smuggle English Bibles to the people of England.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As to Guy Fawkes, the target of the plot Fawkes is associated with was actually to kill King James I. They grabbed Fawkes, tortured him horribly and he made a confession of days after days of torture. Then they sentenced him to be hanged, drawn, and quartered. Instead his neck was broken when hanged, and the celebration of his death still takes place around the world. Twice I have been in countries where I heard the Guy Fawkes Day celebration ( it is both anti-Catholic and ghoulish) and it is disturbing it still takes place in modern times.
Right, and that compares to murdering a bunch of people by a secret conspiracy involving a super bomb?
It would have changed history in favor of Catholicism instead of the common man freely having God’s Word.

The Jesuits were so deeply involved in the treacherous gun powder plot that the plot came to be also known as the Jesuit Treason.

The sinister plot was masterminded by Henry Garnett, the leader of the Jesuits in England along with other Jesuits such as Oswald Tesimond, John Gerard, Nicholas Owen, and Thomas Garnet. These Jesuits were known to be involved in several other plots in the past to kill Protestant Kings and Queens.

Also, you are failing to see the pattern here. William Tyndale, and John Rodgers (a.k.a. Thomas Matthew) who translated the Scriptures were killed by Catholics. The Waldensians were also wiped out by Catholics and they also possessed Scriptures in the Old Latin.

But I am sure the Catholics have their own version of history. If you don’t believe the regular non-Catholic version of history, then just believe the Bible. Just believing the Bible alone will make a person to stop being Catholic automatically.

Catholics were not even allowed to study Scripture until 1943.
That is why they were against the classic Bible of old that came out in 1611.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tyndale criticized the annulment of Henry VIIII and was accused of heresy. In those days heresy often resulted in death. The truth is that in England, long before Tyndale, there were many translations of Biblical text by Catholics. To mention just a few of them, Venerable Bede, a Catholic monk, is perhaps the best known for his translation in the 700s. King Alfred the Great had not finished his translation of Psalms before he died, that would have been in the 800s. Now a lot of Biblical texts by Catholics have been destroyed, remember Protestants in England seized Catholic monasteries and gave the land to wealthy Protestants and much that was Catholic was sold off or destroyed. But some do exist, you can find some of Alfred’s translations in a manuscript dated as around 1050. These are in the English of the Saxons: The Illustrated Psalms of Alfred the Great: The Old English Paris Psalter When the Normans took over the English changed, the paraphrase of Orm is dated around 1150 and is an example of a Catholic translation into Middle English. Eventually a Catholic named Gutenberg introduced the printing press, and, of course, the first book he printed was the Bible in 1455. By the way, much of the NT of the King James Bible came from a hurried Greek translation by a Catholic priest name Desiderius Erasmus in 1516. Catholics had to flee England at one time in order to publish an English version (the Douay Rheims) of the Bible (the New Testament was first published in 1582, reprinted in 1600, 1621, and 1633, and a number of times in later centuries), they did so in France and suffered severe consequences for trying to smuggle English Bibles to the people of England.
That’s a colorful history slanted to favor your church. This is no doubt a history formed by the Catholic Church that is obviously biased. Again, one of the reasons William Tyndale was killed because he translated the Bible into English.

Henry VIII decided that Tyndale had violated canon law: Latin alone was the accepted tongue for scripture in translation. While Tyndale was perfecting his knowledge of Hebrew to bequeath us the Old Testament (the Tanakh) he was captured by Henry's troops. Tyndale was then strangled and burned at the stake.

TYNDALE COMMENTED ON HOW TOO MANY PRIESTS HAD NO KNOWLEDGE OF SCRIPTURE AT ALL.

His last words are said to have been a prayer that the king of England would open his eyes, interpreted as the hope that the king would allow for an English translation of scripture available to all.

That prayer was answered in 1611.

Sources:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Much of the text of the Douay Rheims 1582/1610 bible employed a densely Latinate vocabulary, making it extremely difficult to read the text in places. Consequently, this translation was replaced by a revision undertaken by bishop Richard Challoner; the New Testament in three editions of 1749, 1750, and 1752. Yet, again, the layperson Catholic was not allowed to study the Bible until 1943. So your church kept the Bible from the regular guy for a good majority of history.

The Protestants at least made the Scriptures available to the common man long before that in 1611.
There was no agenda to hide the Word of God from regular people.

Granted, I am no fan of the soteriology of Protestantism and or Calvinism in general, but I do recognize that they were more correct in the idea of giving man the Scriptures to study on his own long before the Catholic Church ever did. I would say that was the most noble and good thing that happened out of the reformation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,018.00
Faith
Baptist
I am not a Roman Catholic, and I have never been one. Indeed, I am a dyed-in-the-wool Baptist! However, I did not get my education from smut web sites that attract persons with abysmally poor educations and sub 85 IQ’s., but from fine schools and outstanding scholars.

The Roman Catholic Church and her teachings have greatly changed since the days of Martin Luther when the Church was in a state of sordid decay. Indeed, unlike the Protestant Reformation that was not a reformation at all but a cataclysmic upheaval that shattered the church into countless pieces, the Roman Catholic Church has recently reformed itself by returning to the study of the Bible in the original languages. This return to the original languages was spearheaded on September 30, 1943, by Pope Pius XII when he issued his encyclical on scripture studies, Divino afflante Spiritu. The consequence of this return can be seen, for example, by comparing the English translations from the Latin with English translations from the Greek in the New Testament portion of the New American Bible. Among the other changes in Roman Catholic soteriology due to this new emphasis on the Greek text of Romans (as opposed to the text in the Latin Vulgate) is the shift from the concept of the “justice of God” to the concept of the “righteousness of God”—and not just conceptually, but practically in the life of the believer.

However, new and better Roman Catholic translations of the Bible are not the only blessing that Christendom has reaped from the Divino afflante Spiritu. Roman Catholic Biblical scholarship has seen bountiful improvements in Roman Catholic commentaries on the individual books of the New Testament, including the Gospel of John, the Epistles of John, the Gospel of Luke, the Book of Acts, Paul’s Epistle to the Romans, Paul’s First Epistle to the Corinthians, Paul’s Epistle to Philemon, The First and Second Epistles to Timothy, and The Epistle to the Hebrews. All of these commentaries were written by first rate Roman Catholic Biblical Scholars and are used in Protestant colleges, universities, and seminaries around the world.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But I am sure the Catholics have their own version of history. If you don’t believe the regular non-Catholic version of history, then just believe the Bible. Just believing the Bible alone will make a person to stop being Catholic automatically.

Catholics were not even allowed to study Scripture until 1943.
That is why they were against the classic Bible of old that came out in 1611.
I took the time to give you examples of English translations of Biblical text long before Tyndale. I even gave you a link so you could see for yourself. And yet you put out more fabricated information about Catholics. The truth is that a great many Catholics translated Biblical text into the common languages of the people, even though for most of the history of Christianity the majority of people were illiterate. After Latin surpassed Greek as the common language of the people, the Latin Vulgate under the direction of Saint Jerome became by far the standard Bible. "Vulgate" comes from "vulgar" or "common," meaning the common language of the people. Eventually Latin morphed into various languages such as Italian, Spanish, and French, and then came more translations by Catholics. There were Catholic translations of Biblical text in French, Bohemian, Danish, Polish, Hungarian, and Norwegian as well. And I previously posted about the many Catholic translations of Biblical text into English long before Tyndale. My family Bible, with births of my grandparents recorded, dates back to the 1800s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Much of the text of the Douay Rheims 1582/1610 bible employed a densely Latinate vocabulary, making it extremely difficult to read the text in places.
Catholics had fled from Protestants in England and went to France to publish an English version of the Bible, the Douay Rheims. Catholics risked torture and death in England just to bring that English version Bible to the people of England.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟109,018.00
Faith
Baptist
I took the time to give you examples of English translations of Biblical text long before Tyndale. I even gave you a link so you could see for yourself. And yet you put out more fabricated information about Catholics. The truth is that a great many Catholics translated Biblical text into the common languages of the people, even though for most of the history of Christianity the majority of people were illiterate. After Latin surpassed Greek as the common language of the people, the Latin Vulgate under the direction of Saint Jerome became by far the standard Bible. "Vulgate" comes from "vulgar" or "common," meaning the common language of the people. Eventually Latin morphed into various languages such as Italian, Spanish, and French, and then came more translations by Catholics. There were Catholic translations of Biblical text in French, Bohemian, Danish, Polish, Hungarian, and Norwegian as well. And I previously posted about the many Catholic translations of Biblical text into English long before Tyndale. My family Bible, with births of my grandparents recorded, dates back to the 1800s.
English speaking Roman Catholics did not have a reasonably good English language Roman Catholic Bible translated from ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts until 1970 when the New American Bible was first published. The Vatican was very well aware of this extreme failure of the Roman Catholic Church and the Divino afflante Spiritu by Pope Pius XII in 1943 was an honest and somewhat successful attempt to correct that failure.

The New American Bible substantially helped to clarify for Roman Catholics some very important biblical concepts. For example, the note on Romans 3:21-31 in the second edition (2011) of the very popular Saint Joseph Edition of the New American Bible reads,

These verses provide a clear statement of Paul’s “gospel,” i.e., the principle of justification by faith in Christ. God has found a means of rescuing humanity from its desperate plight: Paul’s general term for this divine initiative is the righteousness of God (21). Divine mercy declares the guilty innocent and makes them so. God does this not as a result of the law but apart from it (21), and not because of any merit in human beings but through forgiveness of their sins (24), in virtue of the redemption wrought in Christ Jesus for all who believe (22.24-25). God has manifested his righteousness in the coming of Jesus Christ, whose saving activity inaugurates a new era in human history.​

The note on Romans 4:3 in the same Bible reads,

Jas 2, 24 appears to conflict with Paul’s statement. However, James combats the error of extremists who used the doctrine of justification through faith as a screen for moral self-determination. Paul discusses the subject of holiness in greater detail than does James and beginning with ch 6 shows how justification through faith introduces one to the gift of a new life in Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.​

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

We have decided to go ahead and close this thread. While many posts are fine, we do have this site rule:
  • Promotion of King James Version Onlyism (KJVO) or King James Bible Only is not allowed. Stating one has a preference for King James Version is fine. Tying salvation to what version is used will be seen as flaming.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.