Hix

Zionist Jew
Dec 29, 2003
✟17,284.00
Faith
Judaism
Politics
UK-Conservative
I would recommend highly getting for the Tanach a text that comes from the Masoretic Text (Original Jewish text) as the LXX Septuagint which most bible translations date from has undergone major church tampering over the years and differs from the original hebrew text in over 300 places. 50 of which vastly change the meaning of the text.
That said there are a few options, the Stone Edition Tanach which I have is one of the best, but there are others such as the Artscroll Tanach, the JPS Tanach and the Koren Edition Tanach. They can be easily bought online at somewere like amazon or at your local Barnes & Noble.

As for the Brit Hadasha, the KJV is my personal preference but some like the NIV too *shrugs*

Oh btw nice Sessouhmaru avatar :)
Hope this was helpfull!
Shalom and G-d bless
~Hix~

Upvote 0

ShirChadash

A Jew, by the grace and love of God. Come home!
Oct 31, 2003
Visit site
✟22,943.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
My DH and I read and use many versions, and love to cross-reference when studying. We prefer NKJV, as far as standard translations go... we don't have any of the Jewish works yet (as in the Chumash etc. that Hix mentioned to you in his post) but we do have a Stern's Complete Jewish Bible and the "NewTestament" commentary he has out, which we enjoy and have found helpful for seeing the "NT" from a more Jewish context. Many Messianics do not care for Stern's work, but I think it is useful for one just stepping toward a more Messianic faith in the Savior.

We have at least one copy of almost every "standard" gentilized Bible version in our home library. We really don't care for NIV or the very newest translations, Message, CEV etc., except for devotional reading. Dh has mentioned getting a Stone Edition, and I am looking forward to it!

:pink:

Upvote 0

Charlesinflorida

Jan 2, 2004
Florida, US
Visit site
✟753.00
Faith
Messianic
Complete Jewish Bible and Commentary. I also use a Torah with commentary by Plaut PUB/by Union of American Hebrew congregations. As a reference source I have a linear Greek/ Hebrew/Engish bible, which has parallel text in Greek and Hebrew, with Strongs numbers. The literal English runs down the side of each margin. Only poblem there is the pint, though very fine, is also very small and I have to wear a pair of Mageyes, sort of like jewlers lasses to see some of the text. The Tanahk is Masorec. It is pinted by Sovereign Grace publishing sells for about 100 US.

CIF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have found in my travels that it is typically the Sacred Namers that push forward the weird transliterations and I tend to think this is where Yahshuah (and other variations) have come from. Sacred Namer groups will claim they have the 'secret' name of G-d and often base salvation upon knowing this secret form of his name. Its very difficult to pinpoint their exact beliefs as they vary from congregation to congregation. Because of this, we only have tell-tale signs to watch out for. They also don't usually have 'sacred name' in their title, but there are things we can use to help us distinguish between 'messianic' and 'sacred namer'.

A set of things to beware of:
1) strange made up hebrew transliterations (one way to spot them from a mile away). Often they may go as far as to base salvation on the correct Hebrew transliteration. As well, often they are quite disgusting in their lack of knowledge concerning Hebrew.
2) uses a weird or previously unheard of transliteration (usually I have found that these groups have little to no knowledge of Hebrew, but proclaim otherwise)
3) claims to have 'secret knowledge', or specifically 'secre knowledge' about a name of G-d
4) often may worship images or objects (such as a torah scroll, etc)
5) has their own translation of the bible that explicitly uses the name for G-d that they think is the only right one
6) practices that resemble jewish ones, but are weird and strange
(such as women must wear a tallit, etc)
7) lean heavily towards replacement theology, and subsequently make it one of their primary doctrines.
8) basing salvation on the exact pronounciation of a particular name of G-d.
9) often come off as quite "cultish"

...and other strange practices that seem "Jewish" but don't resemble Judaism at all. For some reason, most are very pentecostal. *shrugs*

These groups will often go under the banner of 'messianic' but truly aren't anywhere near this expression of faith. Don't trust their messianic disguise... they are nothing close to messianic.

I hope these pointers... or "land marks"... will help in identifying 'sacred namer' groups.

One merley needs to do a search on google for "sacred name" or "sacred namer" and you will find a plethera of information.

Shalom,
yafet.

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You will often find very weird transliterations. The following is a SMALL sampling of secret 'sacred names' of G-d depending on which sacred namer group you refer to:

for YHVH:
YAHU Yaveh Yaweh Jehova Jehovah Jahova Jahovah Yahova Yahovah Yahowah Jahowa Jahowah Yahavah Jahavah Yahowe Yahoweh Jahaveh Jahaweh Yahaveh Yahaweh Jahuweh Yahuweh Jahuwah Yahuwah Yahuah Yah Jah Yahu Yahoo Yaohu Jahu Yahvah Jahvah Jahve Jahveh Yahve Yahwe Yauhu Yawhu Iahu Iahou Iahoo Iahueh

For Y'shua (or Yeshuah):
Jeshua, YahuSha, YAHU'SHUAH, Yeshuah, Yehshua, Yehshuah, Yeshouah, Y'shua, Y'shuah, Jeshu, Yeshu, Yehoshua, Yehoshuah, YHVHShua, YHVHShuah, Yhvhshua, Yhwhshua, YHWHShua, YHWHShuah, Yhvhshuah, Yhwhshuah, Yahvehshua, Yahwehshua, Yahvehshuah, Yahwehshuah, Yawhushua,Yahawshua, Jahshua, Jahshuah, Jahshuwah, Jahoshua, Jahoshuah, Jashua, Jashuah, Jehoshua, Jehoshuah, Yashua, Yashuah, Yahshua, Yahshuah, Yahushua, Yahushuah, Yahuahshua, Yahuahshuah, Yahoshua, Yahoshuah, Yaohushua, Yaohushuah, Yauhushua, Iahoshua, Iahoshuah, Iahushua, Iahushuah, YAHO-hoshu-WAH

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So... one could say they are neo-Gnostics?

No, not exactly...

Given your explanation, I don't believe the HNV has anything to do with sacred namers.
I'll double check sometime soon, but I'm pretty sure the HNV was a SN'er version... I have been wrong before. Once back in 1982....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sojeru

just a Jew
Mar 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟1,145.00
Faith
Judaism
TO BLESSED2
greetings and shalom, may all be well with you in health and Peace, and may you be prospering most copiously,
All thanks to HaShem, most blessed be He!

The Talmud as most know it is an expanded and exhaustive version of Mark(mishna) and Luke (Gemara)
The mishna is the fullness of the Torah, it explains laws and rules and gets into the detailes of everything in the Torah.
The Gemara expounds and gives allegories and hints about the Mishna.

Thus this is Talmud.

Do you need one?
Well, if you wish to remain a gentile, then no, you do not need to get one.
If you wish to convert, then eventually during your conversion or after, yes- you should get one.

shalom u'brachot
Antonio

Upvote 0