zimmer

Old before my time!
Aug 19, 2003
Center, TX
Visit site
✟7,654.00
Faith
Christian
My family is new to it's faith. We need help on how to organize some kind of bible study for us and the kids. We have an 11 year old girl and a 6 year old boy. Our girl seems to care less about her salvation. Though she doesn't understand a lot of things. Our 6 year old boy is amazing. He asks questions that are hard to answer at times. He grasps things I have a hard time with. So I need family time that will include everyone. I am willing to step up to the plate and teach them, I just need some direction and suggestions.:confused: The entire family has been baptised. I question my 11 year daughters understanding. THough my 6 year old boy was with it and understands what is going on and what he needs to do. Please don't take my use of boy/girl to show some sexual bias. I am just trying to keep them seperate for you as the reader.

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,777,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't have a family Bible time every day, but maybe 3 times a week. A good time to do it is right after dinner in the evening. Everyone is there, usually in good spirits, so it's ideal. Usually what we do is just go over the kids' AWANA Bible verses. I figure if they have to learn those verses they might as well learn what they mean. We explain and ask questions to get them to think. Just keep it short.

Other things that are important are to keep God in mind all day long, not only at family devotions time. Talk about him a lot during the day.

Night time prayer before bed is nice too. If your kids don't want to pray out loud that's OK. Pray specifically for them. My daughter loves it when I pray with/for her and she often asks me to.

Upvote 0

zimmer

Old before my time!
Aug 19, 2003
Center, TX
Visit site
✟7,654.00
Faith
Christian
We talk about God all day. I make sure that is an important part of every day. I pray with my younger son at night. My daughter just doesn't seem comfortable with it. If I miss putting my son to bed, he will come and get me so we can pray together. I really want to add some teaching out of the bible. Maybe just reading time out of the bible. I am not sure. They need to know the bible, not just what Dad says is in the bible. For my daughter it will have to be a lot more interesting than just reading.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At my church, children are only baptised when they reach the 'age of accountability' (it's different for everyone...depends on when they feel their individual calling to God).

Your daughter is at a difficult age anyway, and if your family is new to faith, then she may be having a hard time going against what she's known all her life. I would say the best thing would be to get involved with your churches youth group and have her make friends with other young Christians her age. Young children, like your 6 year old, adapt better to change than older kids. She may not really understand this whole 'God thing' at all. Be sensitive to her and try to help her understand without forcing it upon her.

Also, there's LOADS of good material out there (check out any Christian book store) for teens and pre teens, also lots of stuff aimed specifically at young girls. Maybe you could get her a teen Bible...they're easier to understand as far as language and many have commentary that specifically applies to the teens and pre teens.

As for your little one, just find a good childrens Bible. Usually the Bible stories are told in a way that interesting and appropriate for children. Maybe start each story by telling your son that it's a story from the Bible and was given to us by God.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

zimmer

Old before my time!
Aug 19, 2003
Center, TX
Visit site
✟7,654.00
Faith
Christian
Letting my 6 year old be baptized was a hard decision for us. What is the age of accountability? The age where they understand what is going on and the meanings behind it all. He has a firm grasp on sin, how it seperates us from God and the only way to get back close to God is through Jesus. He understands that Jesus died for us and that he is saved by faith. We met with the pastor and he was able to answer anything that was thrown at him. So we took that as the answer he was ready, I felt convicted for trying to hold him back. It was not something I took lightly. Teaching him new stuff or studing with him is easy. He memorizes verses with me. Most of the time better than me. My daughter, I cannot reach like that. I don't what to do to get her there. We are very involved with church. The kids are also in youth groups and choirs for both of their ages. Both of them enjoy hat time also and have made good friend there. Does anyone do a family bible study at home? Family time is important. Family time with God, even more. I want the TV and computer off more and us to study together once or twice a week. I need ideas or resources to implement this. Does your family have time like this? If so how do you do it? How is it structured? What do you study? Where do you get your ideas?

Upvote 0

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
my children are not so disimilar in age to yours, my daughter is 11, soon 12, and my son is 8 years old. My son also has an eagerness and a thirst for knowing and learning about Jesus, my daughter does in her own quieter way, but my son is much more vocal.

I purchased two books for Children, a while ago, they are available through Amazon.co.uk, so i assume that they are also available through Amazon.com, if you are in America. One book is called the Bible in 365 stories and the other is called 365 prayers. There is a prayer and a 'story' for every day of the year. We sit down together, my son reads a prayer, my daughter or i read the story and my son finishes with another prayer. In addition to that we pray the Rosary together, this in praticular has become an incredibly fruitful and rewarding experience. :)

Upvote 0

zimmer

Old before my time!
Aug 19, 2003
Center, TX
Visit site
✟7,654.00
Faith
Christian
I will check in to them. My wife and daughter are timid about being bold for their faith. Myself and my son will step up and talk to anyone. We will pray aloud and never think twice about it. My wife and daughter both become shy and reserved. I feel it is because they are not getting the word enough and any way we can study the word together and pray together would be great. I thank God my job lets me study the word all day long. I am a paramedic and as long as we are not on calls we can spend time as we please. I stay in the word all day. The rest of my family doesn't have that option.

Upvote 0