Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You're welcome. Yes I agree Colossians is a really nice book. Do you have a favourite verse or one that especially blessed you?

One I really like is 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

God bless, hope you are having a nice day.

Upvote 0
C

Comrade Lokochi

yeah we should set affection for heavenly things, afterall things of this earth are temporary...heavenly things are eternal

In this colossians book, i came across many captivating verses but the one that intruiged me the most was 2:8 whichs says Do not let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from christ

yeah, i have had a nice day...hope yours has been better?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟868,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Amen! and thanks for sharing another great verse from Colossians. There are so many empty philosophies out there, no hope. Only Jesus can really give us real hope.

Glad you had a nice day. My day was good, for the most part, stressed out a bit at times, but the Lord was there and helped me through it. Nothing major, mind you, just working with something that I'm not used to. :)

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟868,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Here is another verse I really like in Colossians (3:23) And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

I like that! we should do everything we do for the Lord! whether it's at our workplace, housework, yard work, everything! do it for the Lord!

You know? sometimes it makes it easier! not to get the praise of me but do it as unto the Lord. And when it's something that needs to be done, and it's boring or something we just don't like doing, we can say "Lord, I do this for You!" and that sure helps to get us in a better frame of mind and have a better attitude!

Upvote 0

tp552

Sep 24, 2013
Oregon
✟33,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello all! I subscribed to this thread and would love to belong to this Bible study.

A verse that speaks to me in Colossians is 2:14

It tells me that Jesus took the debt that I owed (my list of sins) and got rid of it, my list went with him onto the cross. Very powerful verse "nailing it to His cross."

14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. (NIV)

14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; (KJV)

Have a great day!

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟868,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Welcome Andrew. :) Would you like to comment on a verse from Colossians or is there another verse in the Bible you would like to comment on?

I have decided to look at some verses I have read lately and here is the first one:

Hebrews 4:12 For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

God's Word is so important! we may not always understand it, but we accept what we read by faith. His Word can do so much, and is so powerful! we can use it against the attacks of the devil and it can help us in our day to day life. It can help us to discern right and wrong too!

Here is a verse that helped me on a day that I dreaded going to work (a few days ago), after I read this verse I got peace. "The Lord thy God, He will go over before thee." Deuteronomy 31:3

I knew the Lord would go before me and He would work things out! and He did! in His way, not mine!

You could comment on this verse or share one of your own. If you want to study a particular book, I am willing to study it along with you! and others hopefully will join in. God bless.

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟868,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well, I'm in the Gospel of John (and a few others) Here is what I got from the devotional book I am reading! it's really good. I just picked out some of the points... God bless.

FROM: A Daily Reader, THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST JOHN by A. LeDrew Gardner:

The first characteristic of the Good Shepherd is that “He giveth His life for the sheep.” The second characteristic of the Good Shepherd is found in verse 14, “I am the Good Shepherd and know My sheep and am known of mine.” Yes, the Shepherd knows every sheep intimately. He knows you and me just like that, our names, our abodes, our needs, He has detailed knowledge of us. …. Not only does the Shepherd know the sheep but the sheep know Him. How does a sheep get to know his Shepherd? By experiencing the wonderful pastures and the coolness of the still waters, all the little acts of thoughtfulness and kindness that the Shepherd does. So the sheep of Jesus get to know Him, by experiencing His loving care, what He does for them, when He is doing for them, by their close and intimate communion and fellowship with Him. When did God love me? from all eternity. When did the Son offer to die for me? from all eternity When did God claim me for His own? from all eternity. Does this stagger you, too deep for you? Of course, it is so wonderful that we can’t fathom it, all we can do is praise. ‘Oh ‘twas love, ‘twas wondrous love, the love of God to me, It brought my Saviour from above to die on Calvary.’”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

savedgirl2010

Sep 11, 2013
USA
✟15,265.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I just read John 1:16
Out of his fullness we have all recieved grace in place of grace already given.

Does this mean the grace given by/through Christ replaces the grace(blessing)that came through Moses?
Or does this mean the grace is added to that which was already given?

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟868,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Sounds like the Lord gave us grace according to John 1:17, not Moses. Moses gave us the law. I think all grace comes from the Lord.

But then I think it depends on your definition of grace, you are calling it a blessing....

" Divine grace ........ It has been defined as the divine influence which operates in humans to regenerate and sanctify, to inspire virtuous impulses, and to impart strength to endure trial and resist temptation;and as an individual virtue or excellence of divine origin. " (Wikipedia)

Maybe others can give their opinion too. I hope this helps. Maybe we can discuss it more if you like. God bless.

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟868,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
:) Here is a cross reference I found online.

John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Here is a comment I found online. I like it: John 1:14 The Law is what gives us our rights. If someone knocks out your tooth you have the right under the law to take their tooth out. If someone pokes out your eye the law gives you the right to poke out theirs. Rom 8:3 tells us that the law is weak because it has no power to save a person from hell. However under grace we have power, The power to not press charges. Grace not only forgives but it gives a gift on top. Christ not only forgave us our sins but he also gave us salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums