Bible and Evangelization

myway

May 18, 2014
✟16,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry this post is long. Evangelization is sharing the Good News with Catholics and people outside the church. Good News means gospel in hebrew. (in hebrew basar)

I have a friend who is a former baptist. They're a man I have known for many years. He is not an anti Catholic.

I'm very knowledgeable of the bible but want some advice on what to say. It is my plan to describe the Sacraments of Reconciliation and then the Eucharist from a biblical point of view. Next we will move on to the other Sacraments. Me and him have never discussed religion or anything in the bible before. My bible is the RNAB School and Church by Fireside Catholic Publishing. I have bought him the same bible. Just in case he wants to read the same verses I'm explaining to him.

I do not want this to be debate but a conversation to encourage him to be Catholic. Never would I force him to do anything. I consider myself as teaching him to live holy. I'm aware that everyone has to want to be converted by God in other to be a good Catholic.

Which bible verses should I quote to encourage him to be Catholic?

G

godenver1

I used to be Baptist, and what drew me Anglicanism (and when the time right I want to convert to Catholicism) was mainly how the bible clearly stated that baptism is a means of grace and that the baptist position of baptism cannot be found in the bible as far as I can tell. Of course, mainly the traditional churches held a sacramental view of baptism so I gravitated toward them. Using the early church fathers may be effective also. The biggest thing for me was moving away from the "bible only" frame of mind and into the world of 'scary, potentially idolatrous' tradition. Of course, the more I learned the more I was ok with that (because I was wrong). Mainly just keep it civil and respect his approach to Christianity (it sounds like you do) and you should have a better chance at progress :)

Upvote 0

myway

May 18, 2014
✟16,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I used to be Baptist, and what drew me Anglicanism (and when the time right I want to convert to Catholicism) was mainly how the bible clearly stated that baptism is a means of grace and that the baptist position of baptism cannot be found in the bible as far as I can tell. Of course, mainly the traditional churches held a sacramental view of baptism so I gravitated toward them. Using the early church fathers may be effective also. The biggest thing for me was moving away from the "bible only" frame of mind and into the world of 'scary, potentially idolatrous' tradition. Of course, the more I learned the more I was ok with that (because I was wrong). Mainly just keep it civil and respect his approach to Christianity (it sounds like you do) and you should have a better chance at progress :)

Good Point! I'll read the book Father's Know Best by Jimmy Akin. It is one of most complete guides on the early church fathers.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
EWTN tv has a program coming up in a few weeks that should be right down your alley. It is a series called " Catholicism" by Fr. Robert Barron.
Below is the synopsis from the EWTN tv schedule.

(btw the series has just started this past Saturday, and it looks to contain quite a few good programs.)

[quote: THE INDISPENSABLE MEN: PETER, PAUL AND THE MISSIONARY ADVENTURE
Father Barron calls Peter and Paul "two indispensable men, the ones without whom the church never would have emerged and survived." He also talks about how the Holy Spirit worked through all the apostles and disciples to build the Church. [/quote]

Saturday, March 28 at 10:30 am

Upvote 0

houseofsaul

Feb 23, 2015
✟15,127.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reconciliation
Matthew 9:6-8
II Corinthians 5:18-20
John 20:19-23

Eucharist
John 6:50-69

I would also include Sacred Tradition
Matthew 28:18-20
John 20:30
I Corinthians 11:2
II Thessalonians 2:15

Being raised Baptist I understand you have to first show/see what you are tring to explain in the Bible (Sola Scriptura) then couple the verses you are teaching with Sacred Tradition
verses. As a Baptist for some reasons these verses aren't taught. Good luck and the Holy Spirit guide you and bless your Bible Studies. Your friend/neighbor is lucky to have you...I had to search out and discover Catholicism completely solo. A lot of the time playing Devil's Advocate with myself.

Upvote 0