• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Bi-Polar Friend and why does she do this?

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
She's 66 years old and a doctor found her with bipolar when she was 23 years old. She will be seeing a mental doctor next week for new medicine. Hope it works better then her past medicines.
It's true that finding the right meds is a trial and error process. They didn't find the right meds for me until I was in my 50's.

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
She is now in manic low in here apartment. Wants to leave and not talking to her friends. After over a month in her apartment now went from loving it to hating it. She will be seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow and hope for new drugs. She and her dog are having problems so she might be getting rid of it. She says dog makes her nervous real bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
She is now in manic low in here apartment. Wants to leave and not talking to her friends. After over a month in her apartment now went from loving it to hating it. She will be seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow and hope for new drugs. She and her dog are having problems so she might be getting rid of it. She says dog makes her nervous real bad.
I can't diagnose her, but it seems to me that her mood swings are too close together for a Bipolar person. Perhaps BPD? But that's all up to her psychiatrist. At any rate, the meds are the same for both diseases. It's just that BPD needs intensive therapy that's a bit different than Bipolar.

You might also want to watch some videos on Borderline Personality Disorder on YouTube -- even if it's not her official diagnosis, if it seems like parts of it fits her, you might get some good advice on how to live with her in a more effective way.

Have her get a cat. Cats will cuddle you, but are really low key and easy to care for. My cat is an official therapy cat.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here's her new medicine from her doctor,

Zoloft 100 mgs one a day
Lamictal 100 mgs one a day
Seroquel 100 mg four times a day and 1/2 pill in the morning rest in afternoon and at night before bed.

He said she can hear voices and see dead people with Bi-polar only as long it's not all the time. Which she does have.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Here's her new medicine from her doctor,

Zoloft 100 mgs one a day
Lamictal 100 mgs one a day
Seroquel 100 mg four times a day and 1/2 pill in the morning rest in afternoon and at night before bed.

He said she can hear voices and see dead people with Bi-polar only as long it's not all the time. Which she does have.
Wow, that's so painful. I really hope the new meds help.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
She's fighting the doctor's orders about taking medicine. But she needs it real bad. She in manic low.
If she refuses to take her meds and it results in her being severely dysfunctional, i.e. not paying rent, not eating right, not getting out of bed or dressing right, not controlling her money, then her family needs to consider a conservatorship. Other than that, you simply have to consider for yourself whether YOU want to invest yourself in a relationship with someone who is so sick that they refuse the help that is available to them. You need to set boundaries to protect yourself -- no one is going to protect you but you. Consider telling her that you will only see her if she is on her meds.

Upvote 0

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My friend has bi-polar and hears voices and see dead people sometimes. She sometimes loves too spend lots of money and buys stuff she then later doesn't wants. Across the street and never looks both ways. She takes medicine for this medical problem.

Thanks for the help.
People hate to hear this, but chemicals get unbalanced in the brain and cause all kinds of havoc. She sounds classic Bipolar. I'm the same way. I didn't see dead people, but heard voices at my worst. I'm an introvert, too. I can act like an extrovert at work, but I am an introvert. Too many people at once stress me out. Too much emotional stimulation. I've spent tons of money, went bankrupt, but got better at that. I came to the realization that I really don't need much but a nice cellphone--lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amy Cortright

Mar 30, 2018
Oshkosh
✟16,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a Born-Again, Holy Spirit filled, Believer in Jesus Christ who's had Bi-polar type I for at least 11 years. There is hope because Jesus Christ is the Living God.

I've read most of the replies and I can say they're pretty spot on. Nothing too crazy from what I read [that was a joke, get it? :) ]

It's CRUCIAL to know if the person has been Baptized by the Holy Spirit. That's the difference between healing paralysis on a dying, 120-year old horse, or fixing a limp on a newly-born lamb.

Take the person to 3 psychiatrists. Take the medications average the dosages all 3 agree upon. They have to stay on the same medications for a MINIMUM of 3 months, without missing a single dosage, to know if it works. NOTHING LESS!!! It can feel like HELL, but it's not. Thank Jesus for the pain, praise Him for who He is, and rebuke the Devil. They WILL make it with Jesus. They will die without Him (everybody dies without Him)

Eat a balanced, variety of foods AND EXERCISE!!!! God Himself says this will help. Seriously. (1 Timothy 4:8)

Mental Illness is not a death sentence. It just means you have to change your life to accommodate for it. Shop for groceries weekly, cook, jog, bike, see your Dr's er' 3 months, take the meds they tell you, EXACTLY HOW they tell you. USE Pill boxes to remember!!! Go to church, read your bible daily, meditate on what you already know about God.... BE STILL, HE IS GOD. He WILL SAVE YOU. Find Him, get REAL close, stretch out your hands and GRAB for God.... He will take your hand.

"In a little while longer, the God of ALL PEACE, will CRUSH the Enemy under your feet" and you will "go out of the stalls, leaping like a new-born calf"

Upvote 0

Amy Cortright

Mar 30, 2018
Oshkosh
✟16,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jonathan I agree with your response a lot I think it is good one thanks for sharing your viewpoints. I was originally diagnosed with Schizophrenia and later on Bipolar with mania and psychosis, depression was not viewed as primary problem of mine. At times I still question if i have schizophrenia over Bipolar but I also realize i have racing thoughts and a lot of excitement and overly happy at times telling a lot of jokes primarily in writing typing real fast and things like that. I am on three medication including a mood stablizer now Depokate, and Loxapine and anti-psychotic, for anxiety I am on Lexapro and it helps with a lot of my OCD traits that I struggle with.

Amy

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
She has went from loving her new friends at her new apartment to hating them after three months. Her friend's love her but for some reason she turned against them so she is moving out and moving back in with me. Nobody wants her when it comes to her family and old friends. Her doctor said if she stays in her apartment she would most likely kill herself. Here doctor said he would put her in a group home if she doesn't take her medicine at my house. What is a group home like?

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Tonight she went off and ran after me down the hall in the house with a knife. I don't know why she didn't stab me in the back. She was upset that I was talking too total stranger's on the street that I might be cheating on her which there is no way. She has Bi-polar and Schizophrenia. She is taking her medicnes I think? Now she needs a group home.

Upvote 0

Amy Cortright

Mar 30, 2018
Oshkosh
✟16,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tonight she went off and ran after me down the hall in the house with a knife. I don't know why she didn't stab me in the back. She was upset that I was talking too total stranger's on the street that I might be cheating on her which there is no way. She has Bi-polar and Schizophrenia. She is taking her medicnes I think? Now she needs a group home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amy Cortright

Mar 30, 2018
Oshkosh
✟16,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everything can't be blamed on her brain condition. Behaviors or behaviors they are always a choice. Consider that this is her acting out not a result of her Bipolar or Schizophrenia. I do not behave this way and I suffer from hearing voices and having things like the brain condition. Not everyone with these conditions behaves that way meaning it is a choice. She and others need to stop blaming the conditions and she needs to take personal responsibility for her own behavior.

Amy

• Informative
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0