The Netherlands
✟8,515.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Who do you concider the best musician alive at the moment (as in creativity, composition skills, not just being super speciallised/talented in an instrument)

My vote would have to go to Ihsahn (Vegard Sverre Tveitan) (Emperor, Peccatum, Thou Shalt Suffer) Especially his works on Emperor's IX Equilibrium and Prometheus - The dicipline of fire and demise, and all of Peccatum's works are genious and way ahead of their time, all completely aranged by Ihsahn. He has got to be one of the most genious musicians alive at the moment (and I don't use that word lightly, his work in the lastest Peccatum album Lost in Reverie rises above genre's, cause all are incorperated, and mixed, and used into perfection)

foo-oswald

There goes my hero...just a patsy...
Mar 11, 2004
Right here
✟2,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Idicious said:
Who do you concider the best musician alive at the moment (as in creativity, composition skills, not just being super speciallised/talented in an instrument)

My vote would have to go to Ihsahn (Emperor, Peccatum, Thou Shalt Suffer) Especially his works on Emperor's IX Equilibrium and Prometheus - The dicipline of fire and demise, and all of Peccatum's works are genious and way ahead of their time, all completely aranged by Ihsahn. He has got to be one of the most genious musicians alive at the moment (and I don't use that word lightly, his work in Peccatum rises above genre's, cause all are incorperated, and mixed, and used into perfection)

Dude, I have to confess, I've never heard of Ihsahn. I'll have to look him up online.

Anyway, my vote just has to go to Dave Grohl. The dude is a stud on the drums and the guitar. He can just do it all, from songwriting/arranging to producing... :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

stonetoflesh

reformed librarie-keeper
Apr 20, 2004
Round Rock, TX
✟11,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh man... The best musician alive? Probably some basement musician that no one has ever heard of except for his/her small local following in the vicinity of his/her hometown of Anytown, USA. (Literally and figuratively an "underground" musician?) His/her compositional approach is daring and unique, his/her instrumental prowess is considerable, and his/her lyrics are poignant and soul-stirring... ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2005
Kalamazoo
✟251.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My vote goes to Neil Peart drummer for Rush. He is creative and inovated. He is still playing with the same band for 31 years and they are still making music and not selling out. His drum set is awesome. It surronds him. I hope to see him in concert.

Billy Corgan is also up there at the top of the list and now he's saved. Yea, praise God. One more the devil can't have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KTskater

Dec 2, 2004
✟21,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
hmm....Well I'm gonna go with Joe Strummer of The Clash (since I'm not a Led Zeppilen freak..not that theres anythign wrong with Zeppilen though.) He could play rock, reggae and pop on guitar. He lyrical skills were dearing and had a hard hitting point not to mention he broke the bariers of rock by putting in keyboards, bongos and even a kazzo.

Upvote 0

TheTruthinFiction

Apr 5, 2005
✟8,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
apple_on_a_tree said:
My vote goes to Neil Peart drummer for Rush. He is creative and inovated. He is still playing with the same band for 31 years and they are still making music and not selling out. His drum set is awesome. It surronds him. I hope to see him in concert.

Billy Corgan is also up there at the top of the list and now he's saved. Yea, praise God. One more the devil can't have.
Second vote for Peart, when you see him in concert you will come back and put his name twice, Ha. Really impressive drummer, best I have seen and his lyrics, especially some of the newer ones are really great.

Upvote 0

guitargeek

Mar 8, 2004
Cape Cod Massachusetts
✟525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Neal Morse (formerly of Spock's Beard and Transatlantic) would probably get my vote. The guy plays just about every instrument, sings, and is a GREAT songwriter. Check out "Testimony" if you've never heard of him. Also Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever

Another vote would go to Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree. A very talented musician/songwriter, and also THE BEST producer I've ever heard. Porcupine Tree's album "In Absentia" is THE BEST sounding album I've heard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chrome

It's a Dead Man's party
Sep 9, 2004
Alaska
✟17,315.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Idicious said:
My vote would have to go to Ihsahn (Vegard Sverre Tveitan) (Emperor, Peccatum, Thou Shalt Suffer) Especially his works on Emperor's IX Equilibrium and Prometheus - The dicipline of fire and demise, and all of Peccatum's works are genious and way ahead of their time, all completely aranged by Ihsahn. He has got to be one of the most genious musicians alive at the moment (and I don't use that word lightly, his work in the lastest Peccatum album Lost in Reverie rises above genre's, cause all are incorperated, and mixed, and used into perfection)

i totally have to agree with you, his work is amazing. And he composes most of the music (in Emperor anyway, i still need to hear stuff from other bands he's in) and the vocals, keyboards, and most lyrics. He's awsome at what he does. Without Ihsahn, Emperor is nothing.

Speaking of which, is Emperor still around of did they disband after Prometheus?
Dude, I have to confess, I've never heard of Ihsahn. I'll have to look him up online.

Anyway, my vote just has to go to Dave Grohl. The dude is a stud on the drums and the guitar. He can just do it all, from songwriting/arranging to producing... :thumbsup:

If you're that into Grohl, i doubt you'd like anything Ihsahn has composed. But if you're interested, look for a CD from Emperor...called IX Equilibrium

Upvote 0

Chrome

It's a Dead Man's party
Sep 9, 2004
Alaska
✟17,315.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
KTskater said:
hmm....Well I'm gonna go with Joe Strummer of The Clash (since I'm not a Led Zeppilen freak..not that theres anythign wrong with Zeppilen though.) He could play rock, reggae and pop on guitar. He lyrical skills were dearing and had a hard hitting point not to mention he broke the bariers of rock by putting in keyboards, bongos and even a kazzo.

not to burst your bubble, but many a musician has experimented with 'non-rock' insturments in rock, long before the clash. Look at any prog rock band from the 70's such as Rush. there's not a prog band out there without keyboards.

Upvote 0

Idicious

Nov 14, 2004
The Netherlands
✟8,515.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yam Kimil said:
i totally have to agree with you, his work is amazing. And he composes most of the music (in Emperor anyway, i still need to hear stuff from other bands he's in) and the vocals, keyboards, and most lyrics. He's awsome at what he does. Without Ihsahn, Emperor is nothing.

Speaking of which, is Emperor still around of did they disband after Prometheus?

They broke up after Prometheus, 'Thorns of my grave' was also meant as really a closing off song, not just the last song on Prometheus ;) If you like musical experimentation then I'd recommend getting Peccatum - Lost in Reverie (his main band now Emperor broke up) They incorperate pop like music, jazz, clasical, black metal, industrial and influences of electro and triphop on it. I know it sounds crazy but he manages to make it sound good and a whole cd, not just loose songs, that cd is simply amazing.

Upvote 0

Chrome

It's a Dead Man's party
Sep 9, 2004
Alaska
✟17,315.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
wow, i had no idea. you know, about the Thorns on My Grave stuff. Thats interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion, i've always known he was involved with more than just Emperor, but every time someone would tell me the names of his other bands, they'd slip my mind before i could look into it.

Upvote 0

SuzQ

I'm.....Wonder Woman
Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
What's the criteria?

Best musician as in guitar-player??? Eddie Van Halen, hands down. No has ever been able to duplicate his "secret riffs", and no one ever will.

Best musician as in drummer??? Tie between Tommy Lee (can't stand him, but, dude, he CAN drum while spinning upside down, lol!) and the guy from Def Leppard (he can rock it with ONE arm, for crying out loud!).

Best musician as in singer/songwriter? Bono, without a doubt. (Hall of Famer now, I might add. :D )

Best musician as in "has a vast combination of ALL the above"? Prince Rogers Nelson. He can play guitar, bass, drums, piano, sings in several different octaves, and not only wrote Grammy/Oscar-winning songs for himself - wrote songs for The Bangles, Sinead O' Connor, Chaka Khan, Sheena What's-her-face, etc, etc....ALSO recently inducted into Hall of Fame, I might add. :cool:

Upvote 0