King Charming
Nov 10, 2005
Florida
✟636.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
If money wasn't an issue, what things would you put on your computer to make it the most powerful machine on Earth?

Please describe with proccesors, memory cards, accelerater cards, cooling systems, mother board, case type, programs, etc... Try to be as sepceific as possible inluding name brands and such. That way, we each try to compete to see who wins for the best super computer. Winner gets 10 blessings from me. I will need to see a considerable amount of replies before I can give this reward. I will post a rely when I will vote on this. I have a great knowledge on computers and I will understand all of the technical vocabulary and all the gear and programs as well. ( Well, the most recent. I don't know EVERYTHING. I am only human) Bring it on! This will be fun thread. Ready, set, go!

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Same here, I would buy a supercomputer. I wouldn't get one of those split-systems but just an extremely powerful box - probably an IBM. If I could request a particular configuration, I would want the fastest possible processing at 8-bits. None of this 64-bit or 128-bit nonsense as if I enjoy wasting resources compressing and expanding data or hurling 64 bits when I only need an 8-bit byte.

Upvote 0

cwolf20

Huggee Of haL
Nov 23, 2005
Tennessee
Visit site
✟1,363.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
current desire.

Pentium 4 500 mghz or higher
A motherboard that can handle many high graphics games
A video card with Geo-force capability. 64 megs of ram on video card or higher
90 gigabyte harddrive
1 gig of ram or higher
Surround sound speaker system
Flat screen monitor 19 inch.
Sensor mouse

Upvote 0
W

woman.at.the.well

cwolf20 said:
current desire.

90 gigabyte harddrive
1 gig of ram or higher
Sensor mouse

even a guru can love. Not all that flash and bang, just a good running computer that won't have to be updated for awhile. I like that, simple is good! So put me down for this kind too!

Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
cwolf20 said:
current desire.

90 gigabyte harddrive
1 gig of ram or higher
Sensor mouse

That's a current desire? I had more processing power on the machine we gave away to my wifes friend 6 months ago. :)

Fantasy machine -
dual AMD FX-57 processors
dual nvidia 7800gtx graphics cards in sli
8gb of ram
2 Hitachi deskstar 500gb drives
dual layer dvd burner
razorback mouse - fancy logitech keyboard - both wired for better gaming response
dual dell 24 inch lcd monitors

I would need two of these machines. One as a windows/gaming machine and one as my linux playbox so I wouldn't have to dual boot anymore.

Of course any fantasy 'best computer ever' statement is good for about two weeks before someone comes up with a faster processor/video card, bigger hard disk, or better monitor. But it is fun to dream. ;)

Upvote 0

Mikesoft

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
✟15,174.00
Faith
Christian

hehe, You would need to have the computer submerged in liquid nitrogen in order to keep those two chips cool!

One of my friends bought an AMD FX - 55 processor and the computer only could stay on for 2 hours before it cut out due to overheating!

Upvote 0

osx

Oct 21, 2005
South of Heaven
✟8,446.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
top of the line PowerMac G5. I went to the apple store and built it. just for fun. ;)

base model pretty loaded is: $3,299.
16 GB memory. this adds $11,900!!
2 500GB hard drives. add $875 to the cost.
quadro FX4500 512mb VRAM, add $1,650 for this.
display, 30" Apple cinema add $2,499
airport and bluetooth. $99
modem. $49
fibre channel card $600
iwork, other software. at least $80 or more
protection plan, 3 yrs. add $249

total, before taxes.

$21,298

THAT is a dream system! :bow: :thumbsup: :amen:

Upvote 0

Niemand3D

Sep 19, 2005
MS Gulf Coast
✟7,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What would be the purpose of this system? I guess I mean, what does it need to be fast for? Word Processing, Statistical Analysis, Serving Data online, 3-D gaming, or what? The easiest way to design a computer is to know how its going to be used... whether money is an issue or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Battie

Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Northern Virginia
Visit site
✟9,989.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
osx said:
top of the line PowerMac G5. I went to the apple store and built it. just for fun. ;)

base model pretty loaded is: $3,299.
16 GB memory. this adds $11,900!!
2 500GB hard drives. add $875 to the cost.
quadro FX4500 512mb VRAM, add $1,650 for this.
display, 30" Apple cinema add $2,499
airport and bluetooth. $99
modem. $49
fibre channel card $600
iwork, other software. at least $80 or more
protection plan, 3 yrs. add $249

total, before taxes.

$21,298

THAT is a dream system! :bow: :thumbsup: :amen:

That sounds great, but what on earth would you do with 16 GB RAM? o_O

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Considering I don't know much about current specs or the extremely technical hardware aspects, but suffice it to say I'd want to max out the HDD space, RAM, buses, and processor speed without having one that runs too hot. The specifics I would ask for, though:

Blu-ray Disc burning drive
DVD burning drive
USB 2.0 and Firewire connections
largest size LCD monitor I could find

Adobe Premiere 6.5 (I hope it's evident now why I want the specs maxed out; I edit video as a hobby, and although I can get by with the comp I have now, I would like to have as much breathing room as I can - my reason for choosing 6.5 instead of the Pro series is that I already know how to use 6.5 and I don't feel like dealing with the issues that people have expressed problems with upon switching from 6.5 to Pro)

miscellaneous other video-related software, besides the standard free (and in most cases, open-source, IIRC) programs that I use at the moment - VirtualDubMod, AviSynth, XviD, x264, etc.

I'd probably set it up to be a dual-boot between WinXP and Ubuntu 5.10, allowing me to play around with stuff like Cinelerra extensively (something that, while I'll able to do on my current system once I install Ubuntu, I'd still be limited by my processor specs and whatnot).

Upvote 0

rdale

Feb 5, 2004
Oregon
✟16,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want one of these:
1128holographic_180x196.jpg

Maxell focuses on holographic storage
http://news.com.com/Maxell+focuses+on+holographic+storage/2100-1015_3-5973868.html
According to Maxell said:
One 13-centimeter optical disk can store up to 150 million pages--more than 63 times the capacity of a DVD.

Earlier this month, Turner Entertainment's vice president of broadcast technology, Ron Tarasoff, said his company is planning to sell holographic disks that will retail for $100 and which, in five years, will have a capacity of 1.6 terabytes each.

"That's pretty inexpensive," Tarasoff said. "Even the first versions can store 300GB per disk, and it has 160mbps data throughput rates. That's burning. Then combine it with random access, and it's the best of all worlds."

Upvote 0

Leebal

King Charming
Nov 10, 2005
Florida
✟636.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
Mikesoft said:
hehe, You would need to have the computer submerged in liquid nitrogen in order to keep those two chips cool!

One of my friends bought an AMD FX - 55 processor and the computer only could stay on for 2 hours before it cut out due to overheating!

It is not nessesary that the computer would cut out because of over-heating, but it contributes to the situation. If you want to upgrade to a better system, you may need to upgrade to other things as well including the cooling system. I was thinking more fans or the legendary liquid-cooling technology. Last, but most important, the power supply is the essencial. Without enough power, all the fancy gizmos will be useless and even damage your PC. I have seen many costum built machines with duel core proccesors and it can be on all day and overclocked and still no over-heating will occur

Keep going guys...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

soccus

Mikesoft said:

I have a gaming computer that runs a FX-55
i have so many fans it sounds like a jet engine at full throttle! ^_^

Upvote 0

Leebal

King Charming
Nov 10, 2005
Florida
✟636.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
StromRider said:
That's a current desire? I had more processing power on the machine we gave away to my wifes friend 6 months ago. :)

Fantasy machine -
dual nvidia 7800gtx graphics cards in sli
8gb of ram
2 Hitachi deskstar 500gb drives
dual layer dvd burner
razorback mouse - fancy logitech keyboard - both wired for better gaming response
dual dell 24 inch lcd monitors

I would need two of these machines. One as a windows/gaming machine and one as my linux playbox so I wouldn't have to dual boot anymore.

Of course any fantasy 'best computer ever' statement is good for about two weeks before someone comes up with a faster processor/video card, bigger hard disk, or better monitor. But it is fun to dream. ;)

Great configuration. I decided. the blessings go to StromRider. Good job. God bless

Upvote 0