Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Jn 4:12 "If we love one another, God remains in us, and His love is perfected in us."

This harkens back to Deuteronomy 6:5, "You should love the LORD your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength." How do we fulfill this? Make our love for God "perfect" or complete? By loving those around us!

The other aspect to this scripture to consider is that the more we love those around us, the stronger we become in Christ, for God remains in us. In Jn 15, Jesus said He was the vine, we are the branches. The longer the branch abides in the vine, the more fruit it bears and the stronger it becomes.

The whole of 1 John, or more specifically 1 Jn 4:16-19, states the following [paraphrased], "We love only because He loved us. When we abide in love for those around us, God will continue to abide in us, for God is love and this is true light. God cannot abide in darkness, so those who say they love God yet do not love those around them are abiding in darkness and do not know or love God either. Our love for God is made complete when we abide in love towards those around us."

So what does this epistle say about what true love is?

1) It's honesty and commitment towards God. We all have sin and have sinned, admitting to Him that we are indeed sinners and need forgiveness. Then walking in that freedom.

2) It's not abiding in [or loving the things of] the world. The world is at odds with God. It's full of pride, greed, and immorality. Those who abide in the things of the world, cannot abide in God. Those who love the things the world loves, cannot love God. Those who love God, overcome the world through their faith.

What are the fruits of those who truly love God?

1) They give to those in need. (1 Jn 3:18) Real love doesn't just talk it, it walks it out. A lot like James 2:14-26. Real faith is more than just words, it's action. Truthfully, that's what faith is, is love for God. For both are evidenced by the same works, our love and compassion for those around us, especially those in need.

2) They receive answers to their prayers. (1 Jn 3:21-22) Those who walk/live in love will have the full attention of the Father, and as such, can be assured that their petitions will be answered. Why? Because those who live in love for others will not ask Him for something from a place of greed or selfishness. (1 Jn 5:14-15)

It's a never ending cycle. As we give to those around us, God replenishes us so that we can have more to give to others. We find this source of life in prayer. Jesus when He walked the earth, lived a life of prayer. He was always praying and prayer was one of His most discussed topics. But prayer and action go together. We pray and receive blessing from God, so that we can give to others. As we give to others, we are emptied (humility) and then return to our source of strength to receive further provision to bless more with.

"My strength is made complete/perfect in weakness. Therefore, I will glory in my weaknesses, for when I am weak then I am strong."

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Jn 4:12 "If we love one another, God remains in us, and His love is perfected in us."

This harkens back to Deuteronomy 6:5, "You should love the LORD your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength." How do we fulfill this? Make our love for God "perfect" or complete? By loving those around us!

The other aspect to this scripture to consider is that the more we love those around us, the stronger we become in Christ, for God remains in us. In Jn 15, Jesus said He was the vine, we are the branches. The longer the branch abides in the vine, the more fruit it bears and the stronger it becomes.

The whole of 1 John, or more specifically 1 Jn 4:16-19, states the following [paraphrased], "We love only because He loved us. When we abide in love for those around us, God will continue to abide in us, for God is love and this is true light. God cannot abide in darkness, so those who say they love God yet do not love those around them are abiding in darkness and do not know or love God either. Our love for God is made complete when we abide in love towards those around us."

So what does this epistle say about what true love is?

1) It's honesty and commitment towards God. We all have sin and have sinned, admitting to Him that we are indeed sinners and need forgiveness. Then walking in that freedom.

2) It's not abiding in [or loving the things of] the world. The world is at odds with God. It's full of pride, greed, and immorality. Those who abide in the things of the world, cannot abide in God. Those who love the things the world loves, cannot love God. Those who love God, overcome the world through their faith.

What are the fruits of those who truly love God?

1) They give to those in need. (1 Jn 3:18) Real love doesn't just talk it, it walks it out. A lot like James 2:14-26. Real faith is more than just words, it's action. Truthfully, that's what faith is, is love for God. For both are evidenced by the same works, our love and compassion for those around us, especially those in need.

2) They receive answers to their prayers. (1 Jn 3:21-22) Those who walk/live in love will have the full attention of the Father, and as such, can be assured that their petitions will be answered. Why? Because those who live in love for others will not ask Him for something from a place of greed or selfishness. (1 Jn 5:14-15)

It's a never ending cycle. As we give to those around us, God replenishes us so that we can have more to give to others. We find this source of life in prayer. Jesus when He walked the earth, lived a life of prayer. He was always praying and prayer was one of His most discussed topics. But prayer and action go together. We pray and receive blessing from God, so that we can give to others. As we give to others, we are emptied (humility) and then return to our source of strength to receive further provision to bless more with.

"My strength is made complete/perfect in weakness. Therefore, I will glory in my weaknesses, for when I am weak then I am strong."
Absolutely beautiful, thank you for this teaching, it is wonderful

God Bless You

David

• Friendly
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0