Life is Christ
Nov 18, 2004
Visit site
✟23,414.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I've had to face it. The world is not my friend and I've had to 'fit in' to the work place. I tired to talk with my boss about having Saturday off but it hasn't broken through. How I deal with it is just through prayer and staying in Christ. I know He sees what I am doing and that it is not good. He also sees that I am still in Him and His grace is over me. I am already forgiven, that I know, because of what Jesus had done for us all those yeas ago.
Do any of you guys have to work on the Sabbath? How do you deal with it?

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a part time job working for an adventist institution.... I work every Sabbath unless I request time off... this adventist institution like many of her sister institutions have operations that run 7 days a week.... thus they have employees who work on Sabbath....

Upvote 0

Cliff2

Oct 7, 2004
✟11,993.00
Faith
SDA
Believer-in-Christ said:
I've had to face it. The world is not my friend and I've had to 'fit in' to the work place. I tired to talk with my boss about having Saturday off but it hasn't broken through. How I deal with it is just through prayer and staying in Christ. I know He sees what I am doing and that it is not good. He also sees that I am still in Him and His grace is over me. I am already forgiven, that I know, because of what Jesus had done for us all those yeas ago.

Are you able to tell us the job situation you are in, what type of work are doing?

Upvote 0
H

HoneyDew

StormyOne said:
I have a part time job working for an adventist institution.... I work every Sabbath unless I request time off... this adventist institution like many of her sister institutions have operations that run 7 days a week.... thus they have employees who work on Sabbath....

My mom is a nurse and has had her Sabbaths (and Friday nights) off for the longest time. However, things are changing and she is adamant about refusing to work a new schedule with will include one or two Saturdays a month.
To my thinking, she is being perhaps a little stubborn and unreasonable. I asked her if suffering and sickness is paused during the Sabbath, so health workers can worship "conscience-free." She suggested that I was fresh and missing the point. :)
The watchmen on the walls of Zion had to work on Sabbaths. In our time, the Adventists hospitals are operating during those hours as well. What is the point of being so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good? I can understand putting down the bulldozer or the calculator or the chalk and eraser, but for matters that are life and death ...
It seems that the everyday man is more concerned about the letter of the law (as they have been taught), than the institutions themselves, such as the colleges and the hospitals. Life simply goes on for them, no matter what the day.

Reactions: Abiel
Upvote 0

Airdude

May 31, 2005
Tacoma
✟8,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been working in hospitals as a Respiratory Therapist for nearly 20 years. During most of this time I have worked every other weekend including Sabbath. I have never given it a second thought. I know that my patients need my services 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. I use the example of Jesus healing the sick on the Sabbath as my reasoning for not requesting Sabbaths off. I do find it interesting that a Sunday keeping coworker refuses to work on Sunday. I respect his decision to do what he feels to be right and do not question him about it. :cool:

Upvote 0

SassySDA

Aug 12, 2005
OH
✟1,169.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Airdude said:
I should also add that I refrain from working overtime shifts during Sabbath hours unless I know that there is no one else able to work. :thumbsup:

Airdude...now I know where your name came from...cool.

In my opinion, you have nothing to feel the least bit guilty over. My daughter works as a cook in a nursing home here in town. She is in charge of the kitchen that prepares all of the special diet meals.

When she became Adventist, she marched right in there and told them that due to her religious convictions she could no longer work on Saturdays. She thought for sure they were going to say, "fine, don't let the door hit you...", but they didn't. They respected her wishes and granted her a schedule with Friday/Saturday off. However, this is a retirement facility/nursing home. The people there are all elderly, and many of them are sick. THEY HAVE TO EAT. If, therefore, due to vacation schedules, someone getting hurt and being off work for awhile, or someone calling in sick, she covers their shifts no matter what day of the week it is. There is a lovely eldery woman in our congregation that just frets horribly whenever my daughter isn't at church. One Sabbath, she went a little too far for my tastes in her words. She asked me, "isn't there any place else to work in this town?" I gently told her that the people in this facility are elderly, many are sick, they cannot fend for themselves, and they have to eat. I asked her, "if you were in a facility like this, and YOUR cook was a Sabbath keeper, would you appreciate being told you aren't going to eat at all today because your cook won't work on Saturdays?" People have to eat, and as Jesus said, "if your lamb fell into a pit, you would lift it out, are people of less value than a lamb?" Not verbatim but you all know the story. A sheepish look came over this lady's face, telling me that she got my drift, and that she had been thinking selfishly.

My sister, years ago, worked as an RT. She had a pager for awhile, because she was one of only two therapists at the time, in this particular hospital. There is nothing worse than not being able to breathe. May God bless you for the relief you bring to your patients, as well as for the deep sense of caring you have for them, that I can feel through your posts.

You have NOTHING to feel guilty about, in my humble opinion.

Upvote 0

Seraph1m

Oct 12, 2005
In His Presence
✟15,634.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am uncomfortable with the term "forced".

As Stormyone mentioned there are positionts that require an employee to be on site 24hr a day. While working for one of the cable networks years I went to a different shift once my schedule changed and my hours fell on the Sabbath. When I apply for a job I simply let the company know up front what hours I am available and the hours that I am not available. If They opt to accomidate my request from the start then I get the job, if not then I do not. The Lord has blessed and in 3 out of 4 job interviews I have not had a problem with getting hired with the knowledge that I will not work on Sabbath. It's not a matter of can or can not. I can work on the Sabbath, I simply opt not to.

Be Blessed

Upvote 0

Princessdi

Oct 13, 2005
✟15,713.00
Faith
Christian
In th case of medical, security staffing,etc. It is quite understandable and they should not give it a second thought.

If your you job is one where there are shifts you can work without work ing on Sabbath, you Religious Liberty Rep at your church, your pastor, and even the conference office should be able to intervene in the situation. We have help for members in this area.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Seraph1m

Oct 12, 2005
In His Presence
✟15,634.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Princessdi said:
In th case of medical, security staffing,etc. It is quite understandable and they should not give it a second thought.

If your you job is one where there are shifts you can work without work ing on Sabbath, you Religious Liberty Rep at your church, your pastor, and even the conference office should be able to intervene in the situation. We have help for members in this area.
Very true. I have prepared a number of letters over the years for members who needed one for their employee records Your pastor and religious liberty rep are able to assist. Remember what is noted in scripture, ye have not because ye ask not...

Peace

Upvote 0

Haggai

Nov 18, 2005
✟389.00
Faith
SDA
Politics
US-Libertarian
Believer-in-Christ said:

If I were in your shoes, I would quit the job immediately (and wouldn't have accepted it in the first place). Pleasing my God is more important than any job, God will provide. I suggest you pray for a new job that can work around Sabbath. The only job in which it is "OK" to work on Sabbath is in the medical field, of helping people. Jesus healed on the Sabbath, and so can you.

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Believer-in-Christ said:
:( Sorry about this, it must be horrible to be in this position.

I'm afraid my advise would be to stick to your religious convictions... and ignore him and not go to work anyway! If he fires you, you can actually sue. An adventist guy did that here as he was fired over not working on Saturday and he got $40,000! Or, just quit. But whatever you do, it'll be tough, I'll say a quick prayer for you now :clap: to just give up your job and go out there and find a new one probably, but God will bless you for it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums