Before You Object...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherKnight

Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Oct 24, 2005
Mesa, AZ
✟16,914.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
By Marcus C. Grodi
As we compiled the articles for this journal, we tried to consider continuously how these topics and their presentations would be heard and received by non-Catholics.

We wanted to be sensitive, because having been non-Catholics most of our lives, we remembered how uncomfortable we were with many Catholic teachings and traditions, especially any relating to Mary. For many of us, Mary was the last and biggest hurdle to get over, and for this reason we decided to focus this first Coming Home Journal on her.

In rereading these articles, I’ve tried to remember what kinds of objections I would have had as a Protestant pastor. As I jotted these down, they all seemed to coalesce into basically one complaint—which actually is the most common objection I receive from non-Catholics about most any Catholic teaching: "Where does it teach this in Scripture?". In other words, "Show me in Scripture where I have to believe that Mary was conceived immaculately, or that she was assumed into Heaven, or that I can pray to her, asking for her intercession as Mother of all Graces?!"
First, allow me to say that I am very sympathetic to this objection, having been not only a Protestant for forty years, a pastor for over nine, and an avid though admittedly inadequate student of Scripture. Whenever I consider a teaching of the Catholic Church that is based predominantly on Sacred Tradition, that little red flag still raises up within my own conscience. I still tend to feel a bit more comfortable when I can clearly point to a chapter and verse.

Given this, however, let me humbly request that you consider at least three things. First, as you can identify through a careful rereading of the articles in this journal, most of the teachings about Mary do have strong foundations in Scripture. If they’re not directly addressed, they can at least be logically deduced through Scriptural reasoning. In fact, as Kenneth Howell pointed out in his article on Mary and Christian Unity, there are many more Scriptural references to Mary than other doctrines that are unquestionably held by most Christians.

Second of all, it is important to recognize that the idea or "doctrine" that states that "for a Christian truth to be true it must be shown in Scripture" is in fact a modern tradition of men. Throughout Christian history, the Scriptures were always a foundation in defense of Christian truth, as can be found in the writings of the Early Church Fathers or the great Doctors of the Church. But never do you find them demanding that a particular doctrine be proved solely from Scripture. This expectation arose during the Reformation, when both the authority of Church magisterium and Sacred Tradition were set aside as foundations for Christian truth. What is maybe most telling is that Scripture itself never makes this demand. Nowhere can you find in Scripture the phrase, "prove it to me in Scripture." Let’s take another doctrine, such as the Trinity. With Scripture alone, and no other traditional or doctrinal presumptions, one cannot decisively end up with the orthodox understanding of the Trinity as defined in the Council of Nicea. One, in fact, can come up with any number of explanations of how God the Father, the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit coexist and relate. However, beginning from the Council’s decisive definition of the Trinity, one can return to Scripture and see how this dogma is clearly illustrated in the truths of Scripture. The same is true with the dogmas of Mary. The traditional teachings of the Church make sense out of the data we find about Mary.

Thirdly, please consider that much of what you may have been taught about the Catholic Church may not be true. Sadly, too few Protestants have ever read anything about the Catholic Church written by a Catholic. I would imagine that if you being a Methodist or Presbyterian, heard that I was teaching a class in my Catholic parish about what Methodists or Presbyterians believe, using a book written by Catholics, you might object, demanding that I use a book written by a faithful Methodist or Presbyterian. Shouldn’t we expect the same for you? Please be careful—there are many books saying strange things about the Catholic Church, building amazing tales on half-truths. If you truly want to understand what the Catholic Church teaches about Mary and other doctrines and practices, then consider reading books by authors who love Jesus Christ and who desire to present the Catholic Church faithfully and truly (such as those listed in the resources in this journal).

I pray that this journal has been an encouragement to your faith. If it has raised any questions or concerns, please contact us, or the person who gave you this journal. Our desire is not to proselytize but to help you grow closer to Christ and to His Church, and in the process, become more like Christ in holiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.