• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Been having a real rough go of it recently.

Andben

Nov 26, 2016
North Carolina
✟32,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have been OK for awhile, but recently decided to try some stuff thats quite popular on the west coast to help with my anxiety (and for easier sleep).

Suffice to say it backfired and left me having anxiety attacks a few days after. I have not felt this bad since I became afflicted end of 2016. It brought on some depression as well.

So I went to the doctor and they proscribed lexapro. I took the first pill last night (10mg) and man, was it rough. I had a lot of the typical side effects and woke up with what little sleep I had dry heaving. Its also made me majorly anxious all day.

As a result, ive decided not to go that route since it was so rough on me. Thankfully, a Christian mental health counselor is very close to me. I am going to try that instead, along with a new exercise regimen.

I have identified where a lot of the anxiety stems from and have quit those sinful things and repented. I believe it was causing horrible self confidence issues and in general ruining my life.

Looking for prayers and any support/advice you have to give.

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Proverbs 3:5-6
Philippians 4:4-8
Psalms 91
Isaiah 40:28-31

If you haven't already, commit these to memory. These help me.

God bless you, hope things work out for you. Look into this time as a time for learning about trusting the Lord, pray to trust more fully and thank Him for times that you do. Notice how that when you choose to have faith and trust in Him, how His peace is there.

I can't talk by the way... or maybe I can because this is something I'm relearning. I've been worrying a lot the last two weeks. Have so many things weighing in on me, needing done with very little sleep to see me through. However, when I have trusted I've been rewarded with His peace until I start back up again. I've also found how much more I worry when exhausted. Get some rest as well as exercise. Think on the end of Matthew 6 too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have been OK for awhile, but recently decided to try some stuff thats quite popular on the west coast to help with my anxiety (and for easier sleep).

Suffice to say it backfired and left me having anxiety attacks a few days after. I have not felt this bad since I became afflicted end of 2016. It brought on some depression as well.

So I went to the doctor and they proscribed lexapro. I took the first pill last night (10mg) and man, was it rough. I had a lot of the typical side effects and woke up with what little sleep I had dry heaving. Its also made me majorly anxious all day.

As a result, ive decided not to go that route since it was so rough on me. Thankfully, a Christian mental health counselor is very close to me. I am going to try that instead, along with a new exercise regimen.

I have identified where a lot of the anxiety stems from and have quit those sinful things and repented. I believe it was causing horrible self confidence issues and in general ruining my life.

Looking for prayers and any support/advice you have to give.

I successfully defeated anxiety and panic attacks. What works is serving God, prayer, scripture study and filling yourself with the Holy Spirit of God. Slowly it left me over the course of a few years. Now it's gone. I had to serve in church too.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I feel for you. I 've found diet, exercise, and a meditative hobby profoundly helpful with anxiety. The meds are habit forming. I have a relative on lexipro and he will never get off of it. And it doesn't really help. Nutritional food does wonders. Avoid garbage food.

Upvote 0

Andben

Nov 26, 2016
North Carolina
✟32,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Proverbs 3:5-6
Philippians 4:4-8
Psalms 91
Isaiah 40:28-31

If you haven't already, commit these to memory. These help me.

God bless you, hope things work out for you. Look into this time as a time for learning about trusting the Lord, pray to trust more fully and thank Him for times that you do. Notice how that when you choose to have faith and trust in Him, how His peace is there.

I can't talk by the way... or maybe I can because this is something I'm relearning. I've been worrying a lot the last two weeks. Have so many things weighing in on me, needing done with very little sleep to see me through. However, when I have trusted I've been rewarded with His peace until I start back up again. I've also found how much more I worry when exhausted. Get some rest as well as exercise. Think on the end of Matthew 6 too.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. It’s much appreciated.

I was walking in sin, and it weighed heavily on my conscience. I think that and the feeling of an “anxiety relapse” is what’s causing the depression.

I’m also single, and have always been because of a rampant inappropriate contentography addiction. It has corrupted my brain so severely it seems. It results in loneliness and self confidence issues.

That’s why I think the local Christian counselor would be a much better idea than the lexapro. I can address the root of the issue and begin healing. While also exercising for the antidepressant effect, they say it’s as good as the pills according to studies.

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Andben

Nov 26, 2016
North Carolina
✟32,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I successfully defeated anxiety and panic attacks. What works is serving God, prayer, scripture study and filling yourself with the Holy Spirit of God. Slowly it left me over the course of a few years. Now it's gone. I had to serve in church too.

I have found that helping others feels good. A feeling of belonging is something I think I long for. I feel like a boat driving in circles with nowhere to go. My brain is highly analytical and doesn’t like not having a direction to go in.

Thank you for you advice.

Upvote 0

Andben

Nov 26, 2016
North Carolina
✟32,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I feel for you. I 've found diet, exercise, and a meditative hobby profoundly helpful with anxiety. The meds are habit forming. I have a relative on lexipro and he will never get off of it. And it doesn't really help. Nutritional food does wonders. Avoid garbage food.

You’re right about the meds, it becomes your new “normal”. It makes me so anxious to be under the effect of the drug. I hate it and the side effects were terrible. I know it’s worse in the beginning, but I don’t like the idea of withdrawals when trying to get off of it.

I know these can be life savors for some, and I respect that. I just want to try therapy first while leaning on God.

Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have found that helping others feels good. A feeling of belonging is something I think I long for. I feel like a boat driving in circles with nowhere to go. My brain is highly analytical and doesn’t like not having a direction to go in.

Thank you for you advice.

You're welcome. I would also add that while you're feeling the fruits of the Holy Spirit you cannot feel fear or anxiety, Galatians 5:22-23. And these fruits come from service to God and his Children. I like your idea of Christian counseling too :)

Reactions: Andben
Upvote 0

Ronit

Jul 29, 2017
Oregon
✟34,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Looking for prayers and any support/advice you have to give.[/QUOTE
You have my prayers. I've been down the Medicine road and found a successful one. Prayer and Bible Study helps too
If you need to talk I'm here
Ronit

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums