Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of transforming to be more like Christ? I know I can pray, read the Bible and obey God, but is there something else I can do?
I struggle with the same desire.

Perhaps...

Matthew 22:38-40
“37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Or perhaps...

Matthew 19:16-22
“Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.”

Though both seem beyond my capabilities at present...

(But what do I know? I’m just a toddler, struggling to take my first steps.)

Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I struggle with the same desire.

Perhaps...

Matthew 22:38-40
“37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Or perhaps...

Matthew 19:16-22
“Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.”

Though both seem beyond my capabilities at present...

(But what do I know? I’m just a toddler, struggling to take my first steps.)

I agree. Should I really give everything I have to the poor, though? Why did Jesus ask the rich man to do that? I am in no way distracted from godly living by my possessions.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There's an old proverb; Haste makes waste.
But does it apply to Christian living?
I don’t know, but Noah labored for years on the ark, Abraham and Sarah waited many years before the fulfillment of their promised son, and Moses and the Israelites wandered in the desert for 40 years after having been enslaved for generations...

God seems to work on His time, not ours.

Upvote 0

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don’t know, but Noah labored for years on the ark, Abraham and Sarah waited many years before the fulfillment of their promised son, and Moses and the Israelites wandered in the desert for 40 years after having been enslaved for generations...

God seems to work on His time, not ours.

I love God so I would prefer to grow quickly in my faith, but if God wants me to be patient, no problem.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Should I really give everything I have to the poor, though? Why did Jesus ask the rich man to do that? I am in no way distracted from godly living by my possessions.
I don’t know, and that is not for me to say. But presumably the young rich ruler was very pious, yet still distracted by the world...

I have found benefit in generosity, service and simplicity (though I can hardly say that I am good at it).

But Jesus said “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?” (Luke 6:46), but how that plays out in your life (or anyone other than mine) is not for me to say.

As I said initially, what do I know? I’m just taking my first steps (and not very good at it, even after >30 years...).

• Agree
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I love God so I would prefer to grow quickly in my faith, but if God wants me to be patient, no problem.
I’m probably not being helpful. Forgive me.

Sometimes I speak when I should stay silent, though I share your desire...I just don’t have a solution, so I wrap my lack of knowledge and insight into a whole bunch of nothing disguised as words...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m probably not being helpful. Forgive me.

Sometimes I speak when I should stay silent, though I share your desire...I just don’t have a solution, so I wrap my lack of knowledge and insight into a whole bunch of nothing disguised as words...

No, you're as helpful as you could. You already answered my question (I shouldn't speed up the working of God) and it seems biblical.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of transforming to be more like Christ? I know I can pray, read the Bible and obey God, but is there something else I can do?
Hey, brother, part of the process of sanctification is a growing of faith and trust of God. With that comes the faith and trust that God has you right where he wants and thinks you should be, and that he will bring to completion the work that he began in you when you were saved. He might be using this as a way to teach you patience, look at it that way. You have an eternity to become and be more like Christ, because worst case scenario is that you will go to heaven at a younger age than you would have expected; and once that happens, you'll never sin again. So I would read Ecclesiastes 3 and study what the vanity of human labor is verses the riches of God's workmanship; because if you try to force yourself to become more like Christ quickly on your own accord, you're not going to do it the way God wants you to do it, which will result in counter-productivity. This is from personal experience.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure there are things we can do, and just the fact you would ask that, means your eyes are always open to what else you could do. Having that general attitude will find those things for you. Not hat asking is a bad idea either. :)

I also wonder if some things are only revealed to us when the time is right.

Upvote 0

Little Lantern

Be encouraged! Christ has overcome the world!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2017
USA
✟223,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just a thought-- Would you rather have a bowl of two-minute microwave stew, or a bowl of slow simmered stew where each ingredient is added at the perfect time and melded with the other ingredients as they simmer at just the right temperature? Oh, and even while it's cooking you can enjoy it because its wonderful fragrance fills the house. Which would be more appetizing to you? Which would you rather serve to dinner guests?

You are God's stew, so to speak, and He is preparing you to His exact tastes. Learn about His desires and His ways as He adds ingredients to your life and stirs you at His perfect timing (and be prepared for Him to turn up the heat every now and then). Enjoy simmering in His Presence as you look forward to the feast to come. He may be preparing to use you to feed people who are hungry for Him, and only His food will truly satisfy their souls.

God is a Master chef, and I've found that patience is one of His choice ingredients. Patience makes the finished product especially nourishing and delicious, but it seems to take a considerably longer time to reach its optimum flavor. Your cooperation with His process is the key.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can you explain why you are not already satisfied with your Christ-likeness?

The whole Christian life is a process of becoming more Christ-like. I believe everything gets better when I'm more like Him so it's natural to want to speed up the process.

Upvote 0