Northern NSW
✟987,884.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Quite... and statistics on a sample of one ;)

BTW, did anyone 'calculate' the statistical probability of a timeless, invisible, supernatural entity with superpowers and a deep personal affection for a bunch of destructive primates infesting a pale blue dot near the edge of one nondescript galaxy out of 200 billion?

Seems pretty unlikely to me...

I think I will get your post framed and hang it on the wall. :)

OB

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,173.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
I tend to disregard multiverse theory because personally I think it just sounds kind of crazy.

I tend to disregard stories of a seven-day creation, a world-wide flood, the tower of Babel, the transformation of Lot's wife, etc. for much the same reason.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,884.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You're too kind ;)

[Yessss! :ebil:]

Au contraire. IMO it should become the standard response to any over-excited Creationist who turns up with a newly discovered version of the Fine Tuning Argument clutched in his hot little hand.
upload_2021-9-18_20-15-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-18_9-33-47.png
    upload_2021-9-18_9-33-47.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 4
  • upload_2021-9-18_12-21-31.png
    upload_2021-9-18_12-21-31.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,173.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
Creationism 101

The universe as observed by science is statistically improbable to an astronomical degree.

You appear to have chosen the appropriate adjective.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I tend to disregard stories of a seven-day creation, a world-wide flood, the tower of Babel, the transformation of Lot's wife, etc. for much the same reason.

I'm not a biblical literalist. Do you believe there are infinite universes?

• Friendly
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Quite... and statistics on a sample of one ;)

BTW, did anyone 'calculate' the statistical probability of a timeless, invisible, supernatural entity with superpowers and a deep personal affection for a bunch of destructive primates infesting a pale blue dot near the edge of one nondescript galaxy out of 200 billion?

Seems pretty unlikely to me...
Weird - I don't believe that I have seen a 'world's greatest scientist/mathematician' calculate that...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,173.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm not a biblical literalist. Do you believe there are infinite universes?
I don't know whether the universe is infinite, or whether there is a multiverse. I don't think there is enough evidence either way.

Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,884.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The odds that you even exist, being the person you are, are almost zero… a miracle.

What Is The Likelihood That You Exist?

I assume that the attachment is either tongue-in-cheek or aimed at the more mathematically challenged out there.

Statistically the odds of me existing are the same odds as there are for the Universe existing in its present state (life and all).

Since the Universe and I actually exist, the odds for both are exactly 1 or a mathematical certainty.

OB

Last edited:
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I assume that the attachment is either tongue-in-cheek or aimed at the more mathematically challenged out there.
And then we have the comment you chose to frame.

Statistically the odds of me existing are the same odds as there are for the Universe existing in its present state (life and all).
You're not saying that the odds of intelligent life are the same as for life in general... are you?

Since the Universe and I actually exist, the odds for both are exactly 1 or a deadset certainty.
No argument about certainty... just saying its God's miracle.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,884.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You're not saying that the odds of intelligent life are the same as for life in general... are you?

No - what I actually said was :

"Statistically the odds of me existing are the same odds as there are for the Universe existing in its present state (life and all)."

If the existence of the Universe and I are a mathematical certainty - where's the miracle?

OB

• Agree
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So is this just one big quote? With no indication that it is?
Our Improbable Existence Is No Evidence for a Multiverse

We exist, and we are living creatures. It follows that the universe we live in must be compatible with the existence of life. However, as scientists have studied the fundamental principles that govern our universe, they have discovered that the odds of a universe like ours being compatible with life are astronomically low. We can model what the universe would have looked like if its constants—the strength of gravity, the mass of an electron, the cosmological constant—had been slightly different. What has become clear is that, across a huge range of these constants, they had to have pretty much exactly the values they had in order for life to be possible. The physicist Lee Smolin has calculated that the odds of life-compatible numbers coming up by chance is 1 in 10^229.

Our Improbable Existence Is No Evidence for a Multiverse

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
So is this just one big quote? With no indication that it is?
It's popular panpsychist philosopher Philip Goff's error-strewn attempt to show that multiverse theory is a result of the inverse gambler's fallacy - it isn't, he appears not to have brushed up on the history of the subject. As for the implication that Lee Smolin's calculation is the chance of a life-supporting universe, it's Goff who's making the unjustified assumptions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Claims of miracles are not reliable. Especially when those that the miracle supposedly benefitted lied about it all along - and lied more as time went by. Such is the need to witness (i.e., lie to others to prop up the "faith").

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Creationism 101

The universe as observed by science is statistically improbable to an astronomical degree.

2. This inherent improbability suggests God is the best explanation for statistical improbability observed in the world.

1. With only one universe we know of, how can you possibly know the probability of its existence?

2. How do you know that God is then the best explanation? You may not know of better explanations that are better. Also, we should not believe the best explanation is true, we believe what is true based on good evidence that it is true.

Upvote 0