Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
Tennessee
✟36,023.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in a church that was very strict and didn't believe in any other denominations. We were discouraged from associating with those not in our church.

I visited a Methodist church for the first time a month ago and really enjoyed the service. Some parts were very different than I was used to. It was like a whole new world was opened up to me. I've had lots of questions about Methodist beliefs and history - searching Internet, reading books, asking a coworker who is Methodist.

Still trying to identify where I am supposed to be - just didn't think Methodist was an option. I didn't realize those early experiences still affected me today. I'm working through these issues - and wondered if anyone else had similar experiences.

Upvote 0

alton3

Jul 29, 2011
✟268.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Methodism and the Baptist churches as they exist today are both the product of the Second Great Awakening, hence their similiarities. However:

1) If you're absolutely convinced that baptizing infants is wrong, you'll always be a Baptist.

2) Methodists are amillenial. Baptists tend toward varying degrees of premillenialism and dispensationalism, neither of which you will find in the UMC. You might have trouble with this if you're into rapture stuff and/or Christian Zionism.

3) Baptist churches, by and large, are socially conservative. Depending on your region, you may well find the UMC to be far too liberal for your liking.

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2012
Stuttgart
✟15,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
MystyRock,
The biggest hurdles most Baptists have with UMC or any other Wesleyan doctrine church, and there are a few, UMC being the biggest and the "mother ship" of the rest, are the differences between Calvin and Wesley in doctrine. This is not the forum to discuss those differences. I would not be inclined to talk to those differences on this forum.

The many "children denominations" of the UMC are generally more conservative than the UMC.

The one over-riding similarity that I have found in all Wesleyan doctrine congregations is the unconditional love they show for one another and guests in the congregations. I can stop in while traveling and find acceptance at face value from all. I am comfortable in worship in all.

The differences are "high" Church and "low" church liturgical practices, which can range from very Lutheran in practice, to almost independent Baptist, in nature. I have worshipped in both within the UMC and other Wesleyan doctrine congregations.

I suggest that you look into the "Who We Are" section at the top of the Wesley's Parish start page and look at the all the Denominational websites for their statements of belief. You will find a common thread in what we all believe.

Upvote 0

MystyRock

Contemplating...
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
Tennessee
✟36,023.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the info, everyone. That really helps. I've visited the UMC website often and working my way through the FAQ's.

For most of my life, I've identified my Christianity through my church; my faith should have been (and is now) the main focus. And I've also learned that Christians can be found in many different denominations. With the help of the Pastor at the Methodist church, I've discovered the pasture is much larger than I originally thought.

I am a Christian who is currently attending a Methodist church. It is a very small church - about 50 attendees on Sunday morning. (In my previous church, my Sunday School class had 100 members; multiple services with 1500 total attendees). The Methodist church follows a traditional service, but the atmosphere is very relaxed and inviting. To us, it feels like an oasis in the middle of chaos.

Not really looking to debate doctrinal differences, mostly interested in the traditions and church service.

Anyone have anything they can tell me about their church? Special traditions, services?

Upvote 0

Hawkeyefan94

Nov 29, 2012
✟15,170.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Mysty Rock, you'll find some UM churches to be relaxed like the one you're currently attending, and others will resemble an Anglican or Catholic service.

Infant baptism, confirmation, and high frequency of communion are the main differences you'll notice, along with the UMC official liturgies, too.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
RE: special services, some will do a Hanging of the Greens service the first Sunday in Advent. Now, whether it's rolled into the typical Sunday morning service or is a special night service, is probably up to the individual congregation. We had the night service when we were kids, but it's been integrated into the Sunday morning service for the last 8-10 years or so, IIRC.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
2) Methodists are amillenial. Baptists tend toward varying degrees of premillenialism and dispensationalism, neither of which you will find in the UMC. You might have trouble with this if you're into rapture stuff and/or Christian Zionism.

Actually, Methodists come in all varieties. There are plenty of dispenational premillenialists among Methodists in my part of the country. Indeed, they dominate my congregations and you'll frequently hear such preaching in campmeetings and revivals.

Upvote 0

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
MystyRock,
The biggest hurdles most Baptists have with UMC or any other Wesleyan doctrine church, and there are a few, UMC being the biggest and the "mother ship" of the rest, are the differences between Calvin and Wesley in doctrine. This is not the forum to discuss those differences. I would not be inclined to talk to those differences on this forum.

The many "children denominations" of the UMC are generally more conservative than the UMC.

Actually, the UMC is the youngest of all Methodist denominations having been formed by a merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethern in 1968.

The Methodist Church was a result of the merger of the Methodist Episcopal Church North, the Methodist Episcopal Church South and the Methodist Protestant Church in 1939.

The Methodist Epsicopal Church is the "mother" church I suspect you are speaking of in your post. It was formed in 1784 at what came to be known as "the Christmas Conference" (the USA was formed 4 years later with the ratification of the US Constitution). The Free Methodist Church, the Wesleyan Church, the aforementioned Methodist Protestant Church, the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the African Methodist Epsicopal Church Zion, and the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (originally Colored Methodist Epsicopal Church) were all offshoots from the Methodist Episcopal Church prior to the Civil War. The Methodist Church in Britian is a completely independent Methodist denomination organized in England in 1932 as the union of three pre-existing Methodist denominations that emerged in England in the late 18th and early 19th centuries (one of which went by the name the United Methodist Church, but is completely unrelated to the UMC in existence today). There are also several other autonomous Methodist churches scattered around the world, the majority of which are affiliated with the United Methodist Church, but not all.

In the 1880s and 1890s many other denominations emerged from the Methodist Episcopal Church (North mostly) such as the Church of God, the Assemblies of God, the Nazarines, and a host of Pentecostal churches. Some of these were splits, most of them were simply Methodists who found themselves in new places geographically and rather than seeking the assistance of the denomination in organizing a new Methodist congregation simply started a congregation or groups of fellowships which grew into a denomination of its own, much as the Methodist Episcopal Church had originally organized not as denomination, but as a spiritual renewal group within the existing Church of England.

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2012
Stuttgart
✟15,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks GS, I needed the history lesson. I guess the UMC being around since the merger in '68, though I actually remember when it happened, slipped my mind. The Methodist Church I attended at that time was simply, 1st Methodist Church. I was still in school then and did not pay any attention and our name did not change, we were still "1st Methodist Church".;)

Upvote 0

GraceSeeker

Jul 2, 2007
USA
✟17,297.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I know how that goes. The church I am pastor at is still called Emmanuel EUB by many, many people. But trust me, but its name, and your church's name did in fact change in 1968. Not on the front, not in the way people speak of it, but in its articles of incorporation it did.

Upvote 0

GadFly

May 11, 2008
North Eastern Kentucky
✟18,173.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Go saves you. The church you attend can not save you but it is a great source of information and fellowship that a sved person needs.

No matter what church you attend Satan will use its doctrine the best he can to harm you. Your task in all churches is to learn to follow the Holy Spirit, which is God and is part of the Godhead. God comes to us in his Spirit to teach us. Therefore, listen to the Holy Spirit in all things and issues. Don't seek to be anything beyond a Christian, not a conservative or a liberal. Other positions always forces you to accept things you do not believe and makes you a liar in some way.

Reactions: Historicus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Nov 28, 2012
Stuttgart
✟15,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Independent church - mostly Calvinist.

I believe my lack of connection to a church is more of an internal issue. I'm working on it - I plan to talk to the pastor of the Methodist church soon. It's just doing it - admitting I need help.

May I suggest that you look into reading some of John Wesley's sermons, notes, and books to get a better grounding in what we believe?

I know that for me to actually read what Wesley preached and taught was quite refreshing.

Upvote 0

MystyRock

Contemplating...
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2013
Tennessee
✟36,023.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
May I suggest that you look into reading some of John Wesley's sermons, notes, and books to get a better grounding in what we believe?

I know that for me to actually read what Wesley preached and taught was quite refreshing.
Think I have a good understanding of Methodists and have resources to explore. Right now, I'm working on my other issues (more related to Advice than this forum) - defining my beliefs.

If I have any other Methodist related questions, I'll come back to this forum again!

Upvote 0