Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Lutherans are saved by faith alone or baptismal regeneration? I'm confused.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

We are saved by God's grace alone on Christ's account alone, for Christ's work is perfect and finished and for all; this is appropriated to us through faith, so that we are saved by grace alone, through faith, on Christ's account alone.

However, how does this objective work of God in Christ come to us subjectively? That is, how can I, the individual sinner, benefit from what Christ has done for all? In order that we might receive and benefit, that is, for Christ's work to be appropriated to us by God, God established Means through which His grace is active. These "Means of Grace" as we call them are Word and Sacrament.

Let us look at Romans ch. 10, the Apostle says that all who call on the name of the Lord will be saved. But then he asks rhetorically, "How can they call one Him whom they have never heard? How can they hear unless one is sent?" Thus, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news"; that by the preaching of the Gospel the word goes forth, is preached, and produces faith, indeed, "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ" (Romans 10:17).

God's word actually works, it actually makes things happen. In Isaiah 55:11 we read that God's word never returns to Him void, but always accomplishes the purpose for which it was given. When God speaks, things happen. When God spoke, the universe came into existence. When Christ commanded the waves and wind to be still, they stopped. When Christ said, "Little girl, get up!" a dead girl came back to life.

When God's word, His Gospel, comes to us it actually creates faith. Faith being not of ourselves, but the gift of God (Ephesians 2:8).

Does the preaching of the Gospel, therefore, save? And the answer is yes. It absolutely saves. St. Paul in Romans 1:16 says, "I am not ashamed of the Gospel for it is the very power of God to save all who believe" It is the very power of God to save us.

So when we say that Baptism saves, we are not saying that salvation is a formula, or a ritual, like some kind of magic. We mean simply what Scripture itself says, for St. Peter in Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." That's one of the promises attached to the Sacrament of Baptism. What's another? In Romans 6:3-4 the Apostle St. Paul says that all who are baptized into Christ are baptized into His death, and if we have died with Him and been buried with Him, then we are raised with Him to newness of life. In Colossians 2:12 again Paul says that we were buried with Christ in our baptism. In Galatians 3:27 it says we have "put on" Christ, we are clothed with Jesus in our baptism. And then St. Peter in 1 Peter 3:21 literally says, "Baptism which now saves you".

See then that God's word and promise is attached to the water of baptism. It is not mere water, but water connected to and in which is comprehended God's own word and promise. That is, it is not water by itself, but water and the word. See how already what God's word does.

And then what does St. Paul say in Ephesians 5:26? That Christ cleansed His Church "by the washing of water with the word."

See what Christ our Lord Himself says in John 3:5, that one is born again by the birth of "water and the Spirit", and then St. Paul in Titus 3:5 saying that we were not saved by works of righteousness, but by the washing of regeneration and the renewal of the Holy Spirit.

Thus Baptism saves, because here in this Sacrament is God's own word and promise, by which we receive faith, are made Christians, and have Christ Himself, and all His righteousness, His death and resurrection made ours as a pure gift. Grace alone, through faith, on Christ's account alone.

It is not whether we are saved by faith alone or by baptism; it is that we are saved by the grace of God alone in what Christ has done alone, which is ours through faith alone; and this happens to us through Word and Sacrament.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lutherans are saved by faith alone or baptismal regeneration? I'm confused.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

I think the cliche "You are saved by faith alone but faith that saves is never alone" can be used here to understand.

I personally think that is circular reasoning.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you don't have faith in Jesus Christ, baptism is a waste of time.
Baptism provides our remission of past sins. (Acts 2:38)
It provides the means of the death of the flesh, its burial, and its resurrection as a new creature. (Rom 6:3-6)
Baptism is where we "call on the name of the Lord"...for the remission of sins. (Acts 22:16)
It is where the flesh is crucified, with the affections and lusts. (Gal 5:24)

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Dr. Cooper's work has been a great help.

Lutheranism seems like pre-Trent Catholicism stripped of all the nonessential traditions. I use to think Anglicanism was essentially Lutheranism for English people but I see that I'm wrong. Especially on issues of the Lord's Supper, baptism and justification.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0