Baptism

• Thread starter LORD JESUS CHRIST
  • Start date
L

LORD JESUS CHRIST

A question that has been asked probably alot- I apologize if it has.

What are your views on baptism and what it stands for?

Do you have to be baptized to go to heaven?

I haven't been baptized at 15, because, purely I don't like attention. Not because I'm embarrassed about my faith but purely because I don't like the attention I have seen put on my fellow church members when being baptized. I'm looking into a private baptism.

For me though, I don't think it's a requirement but it should be done if you can. The thief on the cross dying with Christ didn't have a mention for being baptized and we all know what happened there, he joined the redeemer in heaven.

One, and my arguments are that no humanly deed can get you into heaven. Is there really a difference between your pastor and yourself doing it, I'd you're really committed ?

So I guess my ultimate question as a curious kid is if I was to be judged by the lord Jesus Christ right now, would having being baptized matter, or is it my faith and belief and worship that is judged?

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A question that has been asked probably alot- I apologize if it has.

What are your views on baptism and what it stands for?

Do you have to be baptized to go to heaven?

I haven't been baptized at 15, because, purely I don't like attention. Not because I'm embarrassed about my faith but purely because I don't like the attention I have seen put on my fellow church members when being baptized. I'm looking into a private baptism.

For me though, I don't think it's a requirement but it should be done if you can. The thief on the cross dying with Christ didn't have a mention for being baptized and we all know what happened there, he joined the redeemer in heaven.

One, and my arguments are that no humanly deed can get you into heaven. Is there really a difference between your pastor and yourself doing it, I'd you're really committed ?

So I guess my ultimate question as a curious kid is if I was to be judged by the lord Jesus Christ right now, would having being baptized matter, or is it my faith and belief and worship that is judged?

God gives us ways to express obedience through faith which now opens the door for God to bless us.

Now, is baptism neccesary for salvation? Well, there is a command given to us to go out and baptize so if I have to be obedient to go out and baptize there has to be cooperation through obedience on the one being baptized. To me it's boils down to opportunity and faithfulness. If I'm on my death bed and receive Jesus as my Lord and Savior, God saves me...period. Baptism is sort of like the marriage ceremony. If you and you girlfriend are in love and she wants to marry you but you say you don't want to go through marriage it can say something about your heart. Remember, baptism is symbolic of dying to the old sinful self so if self don't want to be baptized then old sinful self may not want to die.

Now as far as the thief on the cross goes, the command to baptize came after the cross.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

barry@lake

Aug 10, 2011
✟343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
progmonk ,you wrote : "however as I said we are commanded to do it " WHAT !!!
Then if what you wrote:" was commanded", then it must be a doctrine. Yes ?? I'm not a Baptist anymore , but could never understand the Baptist position on this issue of Baptism , could you kindly explain this to me ?

Jesus said :........ " Amem, amen, I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit , he cannot enter into the kingdom of God " .---- Definitely sounds like a commandment from Jesus.

And why "wait " ---" Why dost thou delay ? Get up and be baptised and wash away thy sins " Acts 22 v 16.

Doesn't Baptism give us a share in Divine Life , by bringing us into spiritual contact with the saving death and resurrection of Christ as explained in the following verses ?
Colossians 2 v 12; Romans 6 v 4.

It isn't me who is promoting Baptism .it is our Lord and Savior Jesus that is telling us that it is very important to be baptized as soon as possible, care to show me just one verse, from the Holy Bible, that would refute the above verses ?

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
progmonk ,you wrote : "however as I said we are commanded to do it " WHAT !!!
Then if what you wrote:" was commanded", then it must be a doctrine. Yes ?? I'm not a Baptist anymore , but could never understand the Baptist position on this issue of Baptism , could you kindly explain this to me ?

Jesus said :........ " Amem, amen, I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit , he cannot enter into the kingdom of God " .---- Definitely sounds like a commandment from Jesus.

And why "wait " ---" Why dost thou delay ? Get up and be baptised and wash away thy sins " Acts 22 v 16.

Doesn't Baptism give us a share in Divine Life , by bringing us into spiritual contact with the saving death and resurrection of Christ as explained in the following verses ?
Colossians 2 v 12; Romans 6 v 4.

It isn't me who is promoting Baptism .it is our Lord and Savior Jesus that is telling us that it is very important to be baptized as soon as possible, care to show me just one verse, from the Holy Bible, that would refute the above verses ?

The main thing from my understanding of Baptist belief is that it should be performed by a believer of their own volition from the time when they reach the age of accountability. Where did I deny that we are commanded to be baptised, where did I deny that it was symbolic of our death to sin and new life in christ?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

So why wait to the age of accountability as you say, why not baptize infants as the verse suggests / The parents are accountable for their young children. Using Jesus' echildhood we see where His parents were responsible for His religious faith [ Judaism ] Joseph had to have the eight day old Jesus circumcised, a sign of the covenant , baptism now replaces the old covenant sign of circumcision and includes all children including young girls.

Barry, why are you here debating Baptist beliefs?

By your own admission, you were once a Baptist, so you know the answer. Its called credo-baptism/believers baptism.

Being as since you were a baptist previously, and you know the answer already, I have no recourse than to believe you are here being facetious/obtuse, and debating.

Why?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a question myself. Why do Baptist denay baptism for some new christians? I believe that it is the other side of the same topic.

I'm not aware of any Baptist church in my area that denies baptism to anybody.

Could you explain further?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Don Oscar

Oct 1, 2011
✟194.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not aware of any Baptist church in my area that denies baptism to anybody.

Could you explain further?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Supose a peerson recieves Christ in one of your services; perhaps in one evangelistic campaign you held. That person is now a new born, a christian. He is totally into his new life and read the Bible. After few sundays he comes to your Pastor and tell him that he wants to be baptices. What will be the answer to him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Supose a peerson recieves Christ in one of your services; perhaps in one evangelistic campaign you held. That person is now a new born, a christian. He is totally into his new life and read the Bible. After few sundays he comes to your Pastor and tell him that he wants to be baptices. What will be the answer to him?

Sunday morning there would be an announcement that there will be a baptismal service that night.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good. Good and scriptural. Do you agree that it is good and scriptural?

No.

According to the models set in scripture, once repentance ad faith have happened, baptism took place immediately.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0