✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey all..​

I placed a good lesson about baptism with the Holy Spirit in the "Restoration Teaching" forum (above). Definitely not what you think, and certainly a huge pardigm shift for us cofCers (ICC inclusive). Pretty thorough study, but the ramifications for us (very good) and denominationalists (not good at all) is staggering (makes water baptism literally impossible to ignore and strips away any semblance of "symbolic" baptism or "outward sign of an inward grace"). Here's the first part. If it interests you, the rest is in the "Restoration Teaching" area..

Baptism en Holy Spirit

Acts 17:11 Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of the mind, examining the Scriptures daily, whether these things were so.

In examining scripture, I have found more than a few discrepancies with the commonly held view of the body toward “Baptism of the Holy Spirit”. I think we know the study of the Holy Spirit can be tedious, but I’ve always found it to be rewarding. I seek first to point out the discrepancies, but I also offer a solution. The solution is not 100% iron-clad, but I believe falls more in line with scripture in many different areas than the traditional view. Though my premise is decidedly a paradigm shift of some magnitude, the premise does nothing to current church of Christ thought but refine and further define it. A similar view was held by Robert Milligan and Moses Lard, but not in quite the same manner. My premise came about largely by “accident” as I was doing some word analysis using various lexicographic tools. I do not claim to be a Greek grammarian by any stretch of the imagination, though if this premise sprouts some legs, I may take up a more serious study. I offer this work to the refining fire of my brethren and trust that if there is any legitimacy to the premise, someone of a higher caliber than I will help with any fine tuning. The search here is for truth, not accolades.

Let me begin by saying that if what I found is actually true, the
immediate and potential ramifications are staggering, to say the least. With that in mind, I’ll try to keep this as readable and easy to understand as possible with a prayerful mind bound in the divinely inspired and infallible word of God. I believe I have done what (at least in my mind) is a thorough study, but this isn’t the type of thing one takes to the masses on a whim. With that said, and again, with prayerful and humble minds, let us begin.

I will first offer up the discrepancies, a summary of the premise, and then the scriptural proofs. All translations are ASV unless otherwise noted.

DISCREPANCIES WITH THE CURRENT DOCTRINE OF THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT:

The phrase “baptism of the Holy Spirit” is foreign to scripture.

John spoke of Jesus baptizing “you” (humas) en pneumati hagioi

The future Apostles were most likely not present when John made his announcement in Mat 3:11, Mar 1:8, Luk 3:16, and Joh 1:33. “…He shall baptize you…” is not limited to the Apostles.

Joh 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you, and shall be in you.

** The Spirit of truth came from the Father and would abide with and actually be in the Apostles. Below, we see He was given to bear witness of Jesus. The giving was limited to the Apostles. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit. Of special note (as we’ll see below with the definition of “en” - en pneumati hagioi), is the fact that there is no “the” in any of the passages concerning the baptism ‘en’ Holy Spirit, and the en is specifically translated in context to mean “with the”, “through the”, “in the power of”, or “by means of”.. in other words, the Holy Spirit as the instrument or means by which we’re baptized. The KJV/NASB renders “with the” for ‘en’, but the ASV renders “in the”, suggesting immersion in the Holy Spirit, which is incorrect. Now note that John 14:17 says (again, for the Apostles) that He (the Holy Spirit) “shall be in you”. We also see many passages speaking of the Spirit dwelling in Christians, but the point is, we do not see anyone being immersed (Gr. baptized) in the Holy Spirit… not even the Apostles.

Joh 14:25-26 These things have I spoken unto you, while yet abiding with you. 26 But the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.

** The ‘teaching’/‘bringing to remembrance…’ was limited to the Apostles. Here, the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, was whom the “Father will send” in Jesus’ name. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Joh 15:26-27 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall bear witness of me: 27 and ye also bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

** Limited to Apostles. Note that in v16, the Father “shall give” another Comforter, and in v26, Jesus “will send” the Comforter “from the Father”, even the Spirit of truth which “proceedeth from the Father”. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Joh 16:7-14 Nevertheless I tell you the truth: It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I go, I will send him unto you. 8 And he, when he is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to the Father, and ye behold me no more; 11 of judgment, because the prince of this world hath been judged. 12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall take of mine, and shall declare it unto you.

** No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit. The Comforter that Jesus shall send will “convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment”. The Spirit of truth “shall guide you (speaking here only to the Apostles) into all the truth”

Act 1:6-8 They therefore, when they were come together, asked him, saying, Lord, dost thou at this time restore the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know times or seasons, which the Father hath set within His own authority. 8 But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

** The same type (though for the Apostles, a much higher degree) of power that was received by Cornelius, his house, and those disciples the Apostles would later lay their hands upon. The language is “receive”, “Holy Spirit”, and “come upon”, the same type of language used in Acts 19:6; 10:47; and 8:15,17,19.

Mat 10:19 But when they deliver you up, be not anxious how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that hour what ye shall speak.

** The same “bringing to remembrance” of John 14:26.

Mar 13:11 And when they lead you to judgment, and deliver you up, be not anxious beforehand what ye shall speak: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye; for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Spirit.

** Neither passage speaks of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.

When the Acts 19:2 question by Paul, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when ye believed” was answered with not merely a “Nay”, but also, “we did not so much as hear whether the Holy Spirit was given.”, Paul immediately knew to ask about their baptism. I stipulate Paul knew the Ephesus disciples were not only unaware of the gift of the Holy Spirit received upon being baptized in Christ’s name, but also were not aware that in Christ’s baptism, John’s prophecy is fulfilled. Jesus baptizes en (with the) Holy Spirit.

John 14, 15, 16, and Acts 1:6-8 do not speak of a “baptism en Holy Spirit” performed by Jesus, but of the Comforter, Spirit of Truth, and the Holy Spirit that proceeds from/is given by the Father and is sent by the Son.

John 16:7-14 speaks of the Comforter that Jesus will send that convicts the world, and the Spirit of Truth that guides the Apostles into all the truth, but still no “baptism en HS”.

Acts 1:6-8 speaks of the Holy Spirit coming upon them so they receive power (to bear witness). No “baptism en Holy Spirit”.

Gr. en (en 1722) ~ 2. with: in; then, it is used of what accompanies or characterizes, with, in the power of (not marking the origin or source of the power, but only the character of it). When it refers to an action, it is not (like d?? (dia 1223)) the effective instrument of it, but that which characterizes it.

5. used of that with which a person is surrounded, equipped, furnished, assisted, or acts, [W. § 48, a. 1 b.];

d. of the instrument or means by or with which anything is accomplished, owing to the influence of the Hebr. prep. ?? much more common in the sacred writ. than in prof. auth. (cf. W. § 48, a. 3 d.; B. 181 (157) and 329 (283) sq.), where we say with, by means of, by (through); Bullinger, E. W. A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 1999

**Of the approximately 74 definitions of “en”, this is the one specifically used for the “baptism en Holy Spirit” passages.. all of them (Mat 3:11, Mar 1:8, Luk 3:16, Joh 1:33, Acts 1:5 and 11:16).

Lk 24:49 And behold, I send forth the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city, until ye be clothed with power from on high.

** Jesus would be sending the promise of the Father, but they were to tarry until they were clothed with power from on high. The beginning of Jesus baptizing en (by/through/with/in the power of) the Holy Spirit is implied upon Jesus sending forth the promise of the Father (Acts 1:4-5). The Comforter and Spirit of truth (as we saw in the passages of John) are equated with the Apostles being clothed with power from on high.. thus we see two results from what most likely was a single occurrence ..the pouring forth on all nations the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:33; 10:45). Receipt of the Comforter/Spirit of truth in full measure directly by God was limited to the Apostles, but never the promise of the Father or baptism en Holy Spirit

Act 1:4-5 and, being assembled together with them, he charged them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, said he, ye heard from me: 5 for John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized en Holy Spirit not many days hence.

** Here, the promise of the Father is equated directly to “baptism en HS”. No language to limit baptism en Holy Spirit only to the Apostles. This is the same prophecy made by John that was spoken to his crowds. The Apostles would be included, but there is no language here or in John’s prophecy that limits being baptized en Holy Spirit to the Apostles (such as the “whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you”, “These things have I spoken unto you, while yet abiding with you”, “bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you”, “because ye have been with me from the beginning”, “he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come” (alluding to Mat 10:19 and Mar 13:11)-type language we find in the John 14, 15, and 17 passages for the giving and sending of the Comforter and Spirit of truth).

(Part 2 in Restoration Movement Formal Discussion / Teaching area...)​

Last edited:

RefrusRevlis

May 25, 2007
Western Australia
✟8,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi cofCtruth, I posted in your other thread also. 1 Corinthians 12:13 - the Spirit baptises us into one body (Christ) - this is the Baptism with/by/in the presence of/(etc) the Holy Spirit. Matthew 3:11 talks of two outcomes: Baptism with the Holy Spirit and fire. From the verses following it would seem the baptism in fire is gehenna (eternal death), while the other is water baptism (eternal life - or at least the commencement of it).

This means the one Baptism (Eph 4) = the baptism with the Holy Spirit = baptism into Christ = water baptism. A more coherent position that arguing there is only one baptism now that the baptism of the Holy Spirit has ceased.

Refrus

Upvote 0

coCTruth

church of Christ
Feb 21, 2009
Lakewood, Colorado
Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi cofCtruth, I posted in your other thread also. 1 Corinthians 12:13 - the Spirit baptises us into one body (Christ) - this is the Baptism with/by/in the presence of/(etc) the Holy Spirit. Matthew 3:11 talks of two outcomes: Baptism with the Holy Spirit and fire. From the verses following it would seem the baptism in fire is gehenna (eternal death), while the other is water baptism (eternal life - or at least the commencement of it).

This means the one Baptism (Eph 4) = the baptism with the Holy Spirit = baptism into Christ = water baptism. A more coherent position that arguing there is only one baptism now that the baptism of the Holy Spirit has ceased.

Refrus
Exactly. I'll check the other thread.

Upvote 0

sister4mercy

Faithful
May 5, 2009
✟9,228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was baptized in the spirit. I believe in Jesus. I have a personal relationship with Jesus. My Father in Heaven knows this. I was spiritually blind and now I see. Who are you to say I'm still a sinner if I haven't been dunked in water yet? I plan on the water immersion as well. But, it isn't what will save me. Do you condemn those that believe this? John 9:34-41

Upvote 0

ProfessorJ

Oct 30, 2006
Morgantown, West Virginia
✟7,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If I may jump in here, I would venture to say that no matter what the difference is, we are not the ones that condemn anyone. That is God's call, and His alone. Whether you've been "dunked" or not, it's up to Him.

Also wanted to say thanks for the great study on this. Baptism is a dividing subject, and everyone interested in theology needs to read at least one good study.

In Christ,
Joshua

Upvote 0

czali

Oct 19, 2009
✟7,958.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I received the holy spirit standing in very back of a Church of God one Sunday morning about 14 years ago.. didn't even expect it but there was a big rushing wind just like the bible describes it and he filled me and life has not been the same since.

yes, I was changed.

.. came after much repentance and crying out to God, and asking to know Jesus..

also to note, I was not saved via a church but at home after many years of not going to any church.. and had just recently started attending church when this happened.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I received the holy spirit standing in very back of a Church of God one Sunday morning about 14 years ago.. didn't even expect it but there was a big rushing wind just like the bible describes it and he filled me and life has not been the same since.

yes, I was changed.

also to note, I was not saved via a church but at home after many years of not going to any church.. and had just recently started attending church when this happened.

That's a great testimony!

Upvote 0

czali

Oct 19, 2009
✟7,958.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It was a truly awesome awesome awesome experience.

You know what though.. the only time in my life I had read the bible.. was when i was about 8 years old.. and it was a children's bible.. none the less I loved it.. but still. at the time I actually got saved, and I mean saved because I was in a bad bad way.. He did save me.. but I did not know the word of the God, the bible, OT/NT.. and it was quite a battle for my soul.. against the devil all around sometimes.. which the Lord did fight .. but I would have been so much better off, it would have been much easier had I known the bible better.

Then again.. getting saved first, just on faith, and reading the bible later was quite a confirmation to me and the things that i did experience, I had no preconceptions of how 'should' happen... Yes, God is real and His word is true. His promises are true.. exact. I read KJV btw.

Upvote 0
G

God&me

Hey all..​

I placed a good lesson about baptism with the Holy Spirit in the "Restoration Teaching" forum (above). Definitely not what you think, and certainly a huge pardigm shift for us cofCers (ICC inclusive). Pretty thorough study, but the ramifications for us (very good) and denominationalists (not good at all) is staggering (makes water baptism literally impossible to ignore and strips away any semblance of "symbolic" baptism or "outward sign of an inward grace"). Here's the first part. If it interests you, the rest is in the "Restoration Teaching" area..

Baptism en Holy Spirit​

Acts 17:11 Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of the mind, examining the Scriptures daily, whether these things were so.​

In examining scripture, I have found more than a few discrepancies with the commonly held view of the body toward “Baptism of the Holy Spirit”. I think we know the study of the Holy Spirit can be tedious, but I’ve always found it to be rewarding. I seek first to point out the discrepancies, but I also offer a solution. The solution is not 100% iron-clad, but I believe falls more in line with scripture in many different areas than the traditional view. Though my premise is decidedly a paradigm shift of some magnitude, the premise does nothing to current church of Christ thought but refine and further define it. A similar view was held by Robert Milligan and Moses Lard, but not in quite the same manner. My premise came about largely by “accident” as I was doing some word analysis using various lexicographic tools. I do not claim to be a Greek grammarian by any stretch of the imagination, though if this premise sprouts some legs, I may take up a more serious study. I offer this work to the refining fire of my brethren and trust that if there is any legitimacy to the premise, someone of a higher caliber than I will help with any fine tuning. The search here is for truth, not accolades.​

immediate and potential ramifications are staggering, to say the least. With that in mind, I’ll try to keep this as readable and easy to understand as possible with a prayerful mind bound in the divinely inspired and infallible word of God. I believe I have done what (at least in my mind) is a thorough study, but this isn’t the type of thing one takes to the masses on a whim. With that said, and again, with prayerful and humble minds, let us begin.​

I will first offer up the discrepancies, a summary of the premise, and then the scriptural proofs. All translations are ASV unless otherwise noted.​

DISCREPANCIES WITH THE CURRENT DOCTRINE OF THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT:​

The phrase “baptism of the Holy Spirit” is foreign to scripture.​

John spoke of Jesus baptizing “you” (humas) en pneumati hagioi​

The future Apostles were most likely not present when John made his announcement in Mat 3:11, Mar 1:8, Luk 3:16, and Joh 1:33. “…He shall baptize you…” is not limited to the Apostles.​

Joh 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you, and shall be in you.​

** The Spirit of truth came from the Father and would abide with and actually be in the Apostles. Below, we see He was given to bear witness of Jesus. The giving was limited to the Apostles. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit. Of special note (as we’ll see below with the definition of “en” - en pneumati hagioi), is the fact that there is no “the” in any of the passages concerning the baptism ‘en’ Holy Spirit, and the en is specifically translated in context to mean “with the”, “through the”, “in the power of”, or “by means of”.. in other words, the Holy Spirit as the instrument or means by which we’re baptized. The KJV/NASB renders “with the” for ‘en’, but the ASV renders “in the”, suggesting immersion in the Holy Spirit, which is incorrect. Now note that John 14:17 says (again, for the Apostles) that He (the Holy Spirit) “shall be in you”. We also see many passages speaking of the Spirit dwelling in Christians, but the point is, we do not see anyone being immersed (Gr. baptized) in the Holy Spirit… not even the Apostles.​

Joh 14:25-26 These things have I spoken unto you, while yet abiding with you. 26 But the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.​

** The ‘teaching’/‘bringing to remembrance…’ was limited to the Apostles. Here, the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, was whom the “Father will send” in Jesus’ name. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.​

Joh 15:26-27 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall bear witness of me: 27 and ye also bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.​

** Limited to Apostles. Note that in v16, the Father “shall give” another Comforter, and in v26, Jesus “will send” the Comforter “from the Father”, even the Spirit of truth which “proceedeth from the Father”. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.​

Joh 16:7-14 Nevertheless I tell you the truth: It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I go, I will send him unto you. 8 And he, when he is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to the Father, and ye behold me no more; 11 of judgment, because the prince of this world hath been judged. 12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall take of mine, and shall declare it unto you.​

** No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit. The Comforter that Jesus shall send will “convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment”. The Spirit of truth “shall guide you (speaking here only to the Apostles) into all the truth”​

Act 1:6-8 They therefore, when they were come together, asked him, saying, Lord, dost thou at this time restore the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know times or seasons, which the Father hath set within His own authority. 8 But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.​

** The same type (though for the Apostles, a much higher degree) of power that was received by Cornelius, his house, and those disciples the Apostles would later lay their hands upon. The language is “receive”, “Holy Spirit”, and “come upon”, the same type of language used in Acts 19:6; 10:47; and 8:15,17,19.​

Mat 10:19 But when they deliver you up, be not anxious how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that hour what ye shall speak.​

** The same “bringing to remembrance” of John 14:26.​

Mar 13:11 And when they lead you to judgment, and deliver you up, be not anxious beforehand what ye shall speak: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye; for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Spirit.​

** Neither passage speaks of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.​

When the Acts 19:2 question by Paul, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when ye believed” was answered with not merely a “Nay”, but also, “we did not so much as hear whether the Holy Spirit was given.”, Paul immediately knew to ask about their baptism. I stipulate Paul knew the Ephesus disciples were not only unaware of the gift of the Holy Spirit received upon being baptized in Christ’s name, but also were not aware that in Christ’s baptism, John’s prophecy is fulfilled. Jesus baptizes en (with the) Holy Spirit.​

John 14, 15, 16, and Acts 1:6-8 do not speak of a “baptism en Holy Spirit” performed by Jesus, but of the Comforter, Spirit of Truth, and the Holy Spirit that proceeds from/is given by the Father and is sent by the Son.​

John 16:7-14 speaks of the Comforter that Jesus will send that convicts the world, and the Spirit of Truth that guides the Apostles into all the truth, but still no “baptism en HS”.​

Acts 1:6-8 speaks of the Holy Spirit coming upon them so they receive power (to bear witness). No “baptism en Holy Spirit”.​

Gr. en (en 1722) ~ 2. with: in; then, it is used of what accompanies or characterizes, with, in the power of (not marking the origin or source of the power, but only the character of it). When it refers to an action, it is not (like d?? (dia 1223)) the effective instrument of it, but that which characterizes it.​

5. used of that with which a person is surrounded, equipped, furnished, assisted, or acts, [W. § 48, a. 1 b.];​

d. of the instrument or means by or with which anything is accomplished, owing to the influence of the Hebr. prep. ?? much more common in the sacred writ. than in prof. auth. (cf. W. § 48, a. 3 d.; B. 181 (157) and 329 (283) sq.), where we say with, by means of, by (through); Bullinger, E. W. A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 1999​

**Of the approximately 74 definitions of “en”, this is the one specifically used for the “baptism en Holy Spirit” passages.. all of them (Mat 3:11, Mar 1:8, Luk 3:16, Joh 1:33, Acts 1:5 and 11:16).​

Lk 24:49 And behold, I send forth the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city, until ye be clothed with power from on high.​

** Jesus would be sending the promise of the Father, but they were to tarry until they were clothed with power from on high. The beginning of Jesus baptizing en (by/through/with/in the power of) the Holy Spirit is implied upon Jesus sending forth the promise of the Father (Acts 1:4-5). The Comforter and Spirit of truth (as we saw in the passages of John) are equated with the Apostles being clothed with power from on high.. thus we see two results from what most likely was a single occurrence ..the pouring forth on all nations the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:33; 10:45). Receipt of the Comforter/Spirit of truth in full measure directly by God was limited to the Apostles, but never the promise of the Father or baptism en Holy Spirit​

Act 1:4-5 and, being assembled together with them, he charged them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, said he, ye heard from me: 5 for John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized en Holy Spirit not many days hence.​

** Here, the promise of the Father is equated directly to “baptism en HS”. No language to limit baptism en Holy Spirit only to the Apostles. This is the same prophecy made by John that was spoken to his crowds. The Apostles would be included, but there is no language here or in John’s prophecy that limits being baptized en Holy Spirit to the Apostles (such as the “whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you”, “These things have I spoken unto you, while yet abiding with you”, “bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you”, “because ye have been with me from the beginning”, “he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come” (alluding to Mat 10:19 and Mar 13:11)-type language we find in the John 14, 15, and 17 passages for the giving and sending of the Comforter and Spirit of truth).​

[1] The Baptism in the Holy Ghost is used in the New Testament 5 time, And according to the Greek Text, the meaning is,
Quote, , "Baptism In the Holy Ghost".
It should be translated, "In the Spirit" and should not at ant time be translated, "By the Spirit". The Spirit isn't the baptiser in the Holy Ghost, Jesus is. End quote.
The Spirit baptises us into the body of Christ, 1 Cor 12: 13, And Jesus baptises us in the Holy Spirit.

[2] The Baptism in the Holy Ghost is for everyone who will believe.
Acts 2: 39. Mk 16:17.

Upvote 0
G

God&me

Refrus

[1] There is no redemtive power in water baptism, It is only an outward sign of an already inward experience. It is one's identification with Jesus and has no power to save.

[2] Where does the the Bible say the baptism in the Holy Ghost has ceased.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

Apollos1

Sisterformercy –

I was baptized in the spirit. I believe in Jesus. I have a personal relationship with Jesus. My Father in Heaven knows this. I was spiritually blind and now I see. Who are you to say I'm still a sinner if I haven't been dunked in water yet? I plan on the water immersion as well. But, it isn't what will save me. Do you condemn those that believe this? John 9:34-41

Water baptism is the MEANS selected by God through which man appropriates the salvation offered to man through His grace. If you haven’t been baptized for the remission of sins by the MEANS God has chosen, your salvation stands in jeopardy. You must be saved on God’s terms – not yours…
<<<*>>>

Czali –

yes, I was changed.

Baptism with the HS was the result of a promise from Jesus (to the apostles) and of prophecy (to Cornelius and house). It was never promised (generically) to everyone – HS baptism no longer takes place and this is by God’s design. Emotional experiences will never take the place of God’s design. You too must be saved with the MEANS God has selected.
<<<*>>>

God&me

[1] The Baptism in the Holy Ghost is used in the New Testament 5 time, And according to the Greek Text, the meaning is,
It should be translated, "In the Spirit" and should not at ant time be translated, "By the Spirit". The Spirit isn't the baptiser in the Holy Ghost, Jesus is. End quote.
The Spirit baptises us into the body of Christ, 1 Cor 12: 13, And Jesus baptises us in the Holy Spirit.

(and later said…)
5 times – I believe you make reference to Matt. 3:11, Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33, and perhaps 1 Cor. 12:13.

As I previously mentioned, Jesus (or John) NEVER promised HS baptism to everyone in the world. (See John 14:23, 16:13, Luke 24:49, Acts 1:5,8, and follow-thru to Acts 2:1-4.) The design (purpose) of HS baptism was NEVER to save people. HS baptism, just like all other miraculous manifestations in the NT, was to reveal and confirm the word of God!

Further, your blanket statement about the Greek text is incorrect. “En” is a preposition the can denote position or instrumentality – thus the CONTEXT of the passage will determine whether the word should be “in, by, with, etc.”.

I know by both the preaching and practice of Paul what he means in 1 Cor. 12:13. Paul wrote 1 Corinthians in about 58 AD from Ephesus – see Acts 19. While Paul was in Corinth, the Corinthians were being baptized (Acts 18:7-8). In Ephesus (Acts 19) Paul’s preaching/practice was to baptize people “in the name of the Lord Jesus” –see specifically Acts 19:5.
Baptism in the name of the Lord is baptism in WATER (see Acts 10:47-48.)

So when Paul says “For by one Spirit” we are baptized into Christ we can know assuredly that this is “by” (the instrumentality of the Spirit) which is by the WORD the Spirit has revealed, which tells us to be baptized in WATER – Acts 2:38, 10:47-48, Ephesians 5:26. This is the MEANS through which the promise (of salvation) comes to everyone.

[1] There is no redemtive power in water baptism, It is only an outward sign of an already inward experience. It is one's identification with Jesus and has no power to save.

You are correct, there is NO redemptive power except in the blood of Christ. However, WATER BAPTISM is the MEANS that God selected through which that redemptive power is realized. Let me give just one example of how this works.

In John 9:1-7 a promise of healing was made to the blind man when he was told to go wash in the pool of Siloam. By his obedience to the command to wash he came seeing! Was there “power” in the water? No! But God’s promise was realized when obedience to the command to wash was fulfilled. WATER was the MEANS selected by God through which the promise was delivered!
It is just the same today! God offers His promise of salvation (made possible by Jesus Christ) through the MEANS He has selected – water baptism! Repent and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling upon the name of the Lord ! It is that simple and man cannot change the means God selected to suit his own whims.

Upvote 0
G

God&amp;me

Sisterformercy –

Water baptism is the MEANS selected by God through which man appropriates the salvation offered to man through His grace. If you haven’t been baptized for the remission of sins by the MEANS God has chosen, your salvation stands in jeopardy. You must be saved on God’s terms – not yours…
<<<*>>>

Czali –

yes, I was changed.

Baptism with the HS was the result of a promise from Jesus (to the apostles) and of prophecy (to Cornelius and house). It was never promised (generically) to everyone – HS baptism no longer takes place and this is by God’s design. Emotional experiences will never take the place of God’s design. You too must be saved with the MEANS God has selected.
<<<*>>>

God&me

(and later said…)
5 times – I believe you make reference to Matt. 3:11, Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33, and perhaps 1 Cor. 12:13.

As I previously mentioned, Jesus (or John) NEVER promised HS baptism to everyone in the world. (See John 14:23, 16:13, Luke 24:49, Acts 1:5,8, and follow-thru to Acts 2:1-4.) The design (purpose) of HS baptism was NEVER to save people. HS baptism, just like all other miraculous manifestations in the NT, was to reveal and confirm the word of God!

Further, your blanket statement about the Greek text is incorrect. “En” is a preposition the can denote position or instrumentality – thus the CONTEXT of the passage will determine whether the word should be “in, by, with, etc.”.

I know by both the preaching and practice of Paul what he means in 1 Cor. 12:13. Paul wrote 1 Corinthians in about 58 AD from Ephesus – see Acts 19. While Paul was in Corinth, the Corinthians were being baptized (Acts 18:7-8). In Ephesus (Acts 19) Paul’s preaching/practice was to baptize people “in the name of the Lord Jesus” –see specifically Acts 19:5.
Baptism in the name of the Lord is baptism in WATER (see Acts 10:47-48.)

So when Paul says “For by one Spirit” we are baptized into Christ we can know assuredly that this is “by” (the instrumentality of the Spirit) which is by the WORD the Spirit has revealed, which tells us to be baptized in WATER – Acts 2:38, 10:47-48, Ephesians 5:26. This is the MEANS through which the promise (of salvation) comes to everyone.

You are correct, there is NO redemptive power except in the blood of Christ. However, WATER BAPTISM is the MEANS that God selected through which that redemptive power is realized. Let me give just one example of how this works.

In John 9:1-7 a promise of healing was made to the blind man when he was told to go wash in the pool of Siloam. By his obedience to the command to wash he came seeing! Was there “power” in the water? No! But God’s promise was realized when obedience to the command to wash was fulfilled. WATER was the MEANS selected by God through which the promise was delivered!
It is just the same today! God offers His promise of salvation (made possible by Jesus Christ) through the MEANS He has selected – water baptism! Repent and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling upon the name of the Lord ! It is that simple and man cannot change the means God selected to suit his own whims.

You are so wrong and so ignorant concerning these matters,
You should also keep the sriptures in thier right context, you should also study the Bible more, then you wont lean to your own understanding

Upvote 0

SoulFly51

Sep 19, 2004
✟9,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Actually, you're incorrect. The Holy Spirit is not a location.

Upvote 0
G

God&amp;me

Hey all..​

Baptism en Holy Spirit​

Acts 17:11 Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of the mind, examining the Scriptures daily, whether these things were so.​

In examining scripture, I have found more than a few discrepancies with the commonly held view of the body toward “Baptism of the Holy Spirit”. I think we know the study of the Holy Spirit can be tedious, but I’ve always found it to be rewarding. I seek first to point out the discrepancies, but I also offer a solution. The solution is not 100% iron-clad, but I believe falls more in line with scripture in many different areas than the traditional view. Though my premise is decidedly a paradigm shift of some magnitude, the premise does nothing to current church of Christ thought but refine and further define it. A similar view was held by Robert Milligan and Moses Lard, but not in quite the same manner. My premise came about largely by “accident” as I was doing some word analysis using various lexicographic tools. I do not claim to be a Greek grammarian by any stretch of the imagination, though if this premise sprouts some legs, I may take up a more serious study. I offer this work to the refining fire of my brethren and trust that if there is any legitimacy to the premise, someone of a higher caliber than I will help with any fine tuning. The search here is for truth, not accolades.​

immediate and potential ramifications are staggering, to say the least. With that in mind, I’ll try to keep this as readable and easy to understand as possible with a prayerful mind bound in the divinely inspired and infallible word of God. I believe I have done what (at least in my mind) is a thorough study, but this isn’t the type of thing one takes to the masses on a whim. With that said, and again, with prayerful and humble minds, let us begin.​

I will first offer up the discrepancies, a summary of the premise, and then the scriptural proofs. All translations are ASV unless otherwise noted.​

DISCREPANCIES WITH THE CURRENT DOCTRINE OF THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT:​

The phrase “baptism of the Holy Spirit” is foreign to scripture.​

John spoke of Jesus baptizing “you” (humas) en pneumati hagioi​

The future Apostles were most likely not present when John made his announcement in Mat 3:11, Mar 1:8, Luk 3:16, and Joh 1:33. “…He shall baptize you…” is not limited to the Apostles.​

Joh 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you, and shall be in you.​

** The Spirit of truth came from the Father and would abide with and actually be in the Apostles. Below, we see He was given to bear witness of Jesus. The giving was limited to the Apostles. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit. Of special note (as we’ll see below with the definition of “en” - en pneumati hagioi), is the fact that there is no “the” in any of the passages concerning the baptism ‘en’ Holy Spirit, and the en is specifically translated in context to mean “with the”, “through the”, “in the power of”, or “by means of”.. in other words, the Holy Spirit as the instrument or means by which we’re baptized. The KJV/NASB renders “with the” for ‘en’, but the ASV renders “in the”, suggesting immersion in the Holy Spirit, which is incorrect. Now note that John 14:17 says (again, for the Apostles) that He (the Holy Spirit) “shall be in you”. We also see many passages speaking of the Spirit dwelling in Christians, but the point is, we do not see anyone being immersed (Gr. baptized) in the Holy Spirit… not even the Apostles.​

Joh 14:25-26 These things have I spoken unto you, while yet abiding with you. 26 But the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.​

** The ‘teaching’/‘bringing to remembrance…’ was limited to the Apostles. Here, the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, was whom the “Father will send” in Jesus’ name. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.​

Joh 15:26-27 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall bear witness of me: 27 and ye also bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.​

** Limited to Apostles. Note that in v16, the Father “shall give” another Comforter, and in v26, Jesus “will send” the Comforter “from the Father”, even the Spirit of truth which “proceedeth from the Father”. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.​

Joh 16:7-14 Nevertheless I tell you the truth: It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I go, I will send him unto you. 8 And he, when he is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to the Father, and ye behold me no more; 11 of judgment, because the prince of this world hath been judged. 12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall take of mine, and shall declare it unto you.​

** No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit. The Comforter that Jesus shall send will “convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment”. The Spirit of truth “shall guide you (speaking here only to the Apostles) into all the truth”​

Act 1:6-8 They therefore, when they were come together, asked him, saying, Lord, dost thou at this time restore the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know times or seasons, which the Father hath set within His own authority. 8 But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.​

** The same type (though for the Apostles, a much higher degree) of power that was received by Cornelius, his house, and those disciples the Apostles would later lay their hands upon. The language is “receive”, “Holy Spirit”, and “come upon”, the same type of language used in Acts 19:6; 10:47; and 8:15,17,19.​

Mat 10:19 But when they deliver you up, be not anxious how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that hour what ye shall speak.​

** The same “bringing to remembrance” of John 14:26.​

Mar 13:11 And when they lead you to judgment, and deliver you up, be not anxious beforehand what ye shall speak: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye; for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Spirit.​

** Neither passage speaks of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.​

When the Acts 19:2 question by Paul, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when ye believed” was answered with not merely a “Nay”, but also, “we did not so much as hear whether the Holy Spirit was given.”, Paul immediately knew to ask about their baptism. I stipulate Paul knew the Ephesus disciples were not only unaware of the gift of the Holy Spirit received upon being baptized in Christ’s name, but also were not aware that in Christ’s baptism, John’s prophecy is fulfilled. Jesus baptizes en (with the) Holy Spirit.​

John 14, 15, 16, and Acts 1:6-8 do not speak of a “baptism en Holy Spirit” performed by Jesus, but of the Comforter, Spirit of Truth, and the Holy Spirit that proceeds from/is given by the Father and is sent by the Son.​

John 16:7-14 speaks of the Comforter that Jesus will send that convicts the world, and the Spirit of Truth that guides the Apostles into all the truth, but still no “baptism en HS”.​

Acts 1:6-8 speaks of the Holy Spirit coming upon them so they receive power (to bear witness). No “baptism en Holy Spirit”.​

Gr. en (en 1722) ~ 2. with: in; then, it is used of what accompanies or characterizes, with, in the power of (not marking the origin or source of the power, but only the character of it). When it refers to an action, it is not (like d?? (dia 1223)) the effective instrument of it, but that which characterizes it.​

5. used of that with which a person is surrounded, equipped, furnished, assisted, or acts, [W. § 48, a. 1 b.];​

d. of the instrument or means by or with which anything is accomplished, owing to the influence of the Hebr. prep. ?? much more common in the sacred writ. than in prof. auth. (cf. W. § 48, a. 3 d.; B. 181 (157) and 329 (283) sq.), where we say with, by means of, by (through); Bullinger, E. W. A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 1999​

**Of the approximately 74 definitions of “en”, this is the one specifically used for the “baptism en Holy Spirit” passages.. all of them (Mat 3:11, Mar 1:8, Luk 3:16, Joh 1:33, Acts 1:5 and 11:16).​

Lk 24:49 And behold, I send forth the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city, until ye be clothed with power from on high.​

** Jesus would be sending the promise of the Father, but they were to tarry until they were clothed with power from on high. The beginning of Jesus baptizing en (by/through/with/in the power of) the Holy Spirit is implied upon Jesus sending forth the promise of the Father (Acts 1:4-5). The Comforter and Spirit of truth (as we saw in the passages of John) are equated with the Apostles being clothed with power from on high.. thus we see two results from what most likely was a single occurrence ..the pouring forth on all nations the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:33; 10:45). Receipt of the Comforter/Spirit of truth in full measure directly by God was limited to the Apostles, but never the promise of the Father or baptism en Holy Spirit​

Act 1:4-5 and, being assembled together with them, he charged them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, said he, ye heard from me: 5 for John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized en Holy Spirit not many days hence.​

** Here, the promise of the Father is equated directly to “baptism en HS”. No language to limit baptism en Holy Spirit only to the Apostles. This is the same prophecy made by John that was spoken to his crowds. The Apostles would be included, but there is no language here or in John’s prophecy that limits being baptized en Holy Spirit to the Apostles (such as the “whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you”, “These things have I spoken unto you, while yet abiding with you”, “bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you”, “because ye have been with me from the beginning”, “he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come” (alluding to Mat 10:19 and Mar 13:11)-type language we find in the John 14, 15, and 17 passages for the giving and sending of the Comforter and Spirit of truth).​

Here is sripture to prove the baptism in the Holy Ghost.
Matthew 3: 11.
Mark 16: 17. You can't speak in tongues without being baptised in the Holy Ghost. please note v17, These signs shall follow THEM THAT BELIEVE.

John 14: 12. HE THE BELIEVES ON ME. Not just the Apostles.

Acts 1: 5. with Acts 2:39, Again not just the Apostles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RefrusRevlis

May 25, 2007
Western Australia
✟8,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1] There is no redemtive power in water baptism, It is only an outward sign of an already inward experience. It is one's identification with Jesus and has no power to save.

This idea that baptism in water is "only an outward sign of an already inward experience' is merely a man-made doctrine without one shred of scriptural support.

2] Where does the the Bible say the baptism in the Holy Ghost has ceased.

If you read my statement carefully, I questioned that the baptism with the Holy Spirit had ceased. It is I believe another aspect of water baptism.

Upvote 0

abadhaircut

May 7, 2007
✟7,626.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are so wrong and so ignorant concerning these matters,
You should also keep the sriptures in thier right context, you should also study the Bible more, then you wont lean to your own understanding

Can you provide some scripture for why he is wrong? Unless you can back up your argument with the Word of God then it is a man made doctrine and thus not suitable for teaching.

Allow me to offer a few more passages (NKJ):

John 3:5 "Jesus answered, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

1 Peter 3:21 "There is also an antitype which now saves us- baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience towards God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

I believe that water baptism may have been chosen by God to be representative of the way Christ died and was resurrected. Just as he was buried so are we (going down into the water) and just as he was risen so are we (rising up from the water) thus we are born again, of "water and the spirit".

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Mormoms, Muslims, Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, Deiest and Spiritualist all say thay have a personal relationship with Jesus or with God himself. The problem here is that there salvation is based on there own Personal Believes and not on TRUTH. The BIBLE says nothing about being saved by a PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP. We are not saved my our so called " PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP" We are saved by God Grace and HIS plan of Salvation not our own personal plan.

I knew this guy who said he had a personal relationship with this girl I knew also, He said that they were in so much love it was like a dream. It was a dream, because that relationship was one sided She did not even know who he was.

To many people live a one sided personal relationship with God, not based on Truth but what they want.

Upvote 0