Logan City
✟758,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Provided their baptism was Trinitarian (in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit), their baptism is generally recognised by the church.

However there is a bit more to it.

Normally they spend a bit of time going through RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults).

There is a link here which might give you some explanation of the RCIA process and who needs to do it. One of the reasons baptised Protestants do RCIA is that the beliefs they have brought with them may not necessarily agree with some Catholic teachings eg. the Eucharist, Papacy, Sacraments, Marianism etc. They need to be clear what about what they are getting into.

I'm a former Protestant and I went through RCIA myself, quite some time ago now. I attended the sessions at the home of another couple whom I've gotten to know well since then. Not so long ago they said to me they didn't think I'd go through with it as I asked so many questions. Then they said "But you're the one who has stuck around and done things."

To really find out what is required, assuming you are genuinely interested and not just asking out of curiousity, I'd suggest you talk to a priest.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Provided their baptism was Trinitarian (in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit), their baptism is generally recognised by the church.

However there is a bit more to it.

Normally they spend a bit of time going through RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults).

There is a link here which might give you some explanation of the RCIA process and who needs to do it. One of the reasons baptised Protestants do RCIA is that the beliefs they have brought with them may not necessarily agree with some Catholic teachings eg. the Eucharist, Papacy, Sacraments, Marianism etc. They need to be clear what about what they are getting into.

I'm a former Protestant and I went through RCIA myself, quite some time ago now. I attended the sessions at the home of another couple whom I've gotten to know well since then. Not so long ago they said to me they didn't think I'd go through with it as I asked so many questions. Then they said "But you're the one who has stuck around and done things."

To really find out what is required, assuming you are genuinely interested and not just asking out of curiousity, I'd suggest you talk to a priest.
Thanks!
And, yes, if someone is interested they'll ask many questions.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,678,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Question:
Can someone be baptized in a Protestant denomination, using the proper form, and then make first communion and confirmation in the CC due to conversion?
I was baptized when I was Protestant and had no problems. :)

A person is not baptized a Catholic, Baptist, Episcopalian, etc. We are baptized a Christian. We can be baptized only once if done correctly. That’s why the Church accepts previously baptized people as long as they were baptized in the correct form. And if they weren’t, you will be baptized in the Church.

The Church considers Protestants believers our separated brethren so it only makes sense to bring them into full unity with the Church if that’s the person’s desire.

Upvote 0