Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to propose a debate about baptism being necessary and for the remission of sins. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will post more details about how I'd like the debate will work. I will first affirm my position and you will deny, and then you will affirm your position and I will deny.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I would like to propose a debate about baptism being necessary and for the remission of sins. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will post more details about how I'd like the debate will work. I will first affirm my position and you will deny, and then you will affirm your position and I will deny.
For clarity, what exactly is your position?

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that baptism (immersion or dunking in water, form of baptism could be a separate debate topic) is for the remission of sins.

Just as an additional note for whomever decides to have this discussion with me, I would like to make a full transcript of the discussion available in PDF format. So, please, if you decide to have this discussion be prepared to see it through to completion.

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
aggie03,

You are affirming that water baptism is (unto) the remission of sins. I say this because a lot of the English translations place the word 'for' in a way to make it appear that the statement is saying 'because of' the remission of their sins regarding John's and Jesus' water baptisms.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be willing to affirm something like the following:

"Baptism is commanded by God for the purpose of being unto or for the remission of sins. Baptism plays a critical part in the salvation of lost people and is something all who would become Christians must do."

I would then be willing to deny something like the following:

"Those who come to faith in Christ have no need of water baptism. Baptism plays no role in the salvation of lost people and is something that is not required of all who become Christians."

By having at least these two different propositions, each side will have an opportunity to prove what they believe. This will allow focus on each point and the specific arguments that are offered for support.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You will have to argue both the negative and affirmative sides of your position. In essence, the same topic will be argued from two different perspectives. It gives both sides a chance to present the arguments for their belief. I'll post a more detailed outline of what I mean later today.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would be willing to maintain the second sentence: 'Water baptism plays no following role in the salvation of those who instantly come to belief in Jesus Christ'.

Correct, and you will have to take the negative on the previous resolution. The structure would look something like this:

First Resolution: "Baptism is commanded by God for the remission of sins. Baptism plays a critical part in salvation and is something all who would become Christians must do."

Affirm: Aggie03
Deny: Cuddles222

The debate of the first resolution will have the following structure:

First Affirmative Constructive: Aggie03 will outline definitions and reasons supporting the resolution. (4000 word limit)

Negative Cross-Examination: Cuddles222 will be given an opportunity to ask up to 10 questions about the first affirmative constructive. No argumentation may be made at this point. (No word limit)

Affirmative Response: Aggie03 will be given an opportunity to answer the questions that have been asked. No new material may be presented at this time unless is directly related to one of the asked questions. (No word limit, but may only address the questions from the first negative cross-examination).

First Negative Rebuttal: Cuddles222 will present argumentation to refute the information in the first affirmative constructive. No new material may be presented that is not directly related to the first affirmative constructive, e.g. if the mode of baptism is not addressed in the first affirmative constructive, then it should not be addressed here. (4000 word limit)

Second Affirmative Constructive: Aggie03 will be given an opportunity to present additional information in support of the resolution. (3000 word limit)

Second Negative Rebuttal: Cuddles222 will present argumentation refuting the second affirmative constructive. No new material may be presented that is not directly related to the second affirmative constructive. (3000 word limit)

Third Affirmative Constructive: Aggie03 will be given an opportunity to present additional information in support of the resolution. (2000 word limit)

Third Negative Rebuttal: Cuddles222 will present argumentation refuting the third affirmative constructive. No new material may be presented that is not directly related to the third affirmative constructive. Closing comments should made at this time. (2500 word limit)

Affirmative Closing: Aggie03 will summarize salient points finalizing and clarifying why the resolution is true. No new information that has not been touched on in the previous portions of the debate may be brought up at this time. (1000 word limit)

Following this section will be the second resolution:

Second Resolution: "Those who come to faith in Christ have no need of water baptism. Baptism plays no role in the salvation of lost people and is something that is not required of all who become Christians."

Affirm: Cuddles222
Deny: Aggie03

The debate over this resolution will have the same structure, rules and word count as the previous resolution, namely:

First Affirmative Constructive: Cuddles222 (4000 word limit)
Negative Cross-Examination: Aggie03 (up to 10 questions, no word limit)
Affirmative Response: Cuddles222 (No limit, but may only address and answer questions from cross-examination)
First Negative Rebuttal: Aggie03 (4000 word limit)
Second Affirmative Constructive: Cuddles222 (3000 word limit)
Second Negative Rebuttal: Aggie03 (3000 word limit)
Third Affirmative Constructive: Cuddles222 (2000 word limit)
Third Negative Rebuttal: Aggie03 (2500 word limit)
Affirmative Closing: Cuddles222 (1000 word limit)

If you agree to the following structure and resolutions, we can begin. If the rules are violated (e.g. new material is brought up when it shouldn't be, like in a closing statement), the offended party may take appropriate action to address the violation (e.g. post a response to only the new material brought up in the closing).

Additionally, I would like to make this available on my website that I'm putting together. I think something like this would be a good resource for everyone interested in the topic. By agreeing to the debate, we both agree that the debate in its fullness can be made available in PDF or other digital format for the edification and education of others seeking to grow in their faith. I would like to use our actual names in the PDF copy, so any reference to screen names here would be replaced with our names in the PDF copy of the debate. I would also like to include a brief bio of both participants (300 words or less) written by themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How long would you like to allow between posts? I was thinking something like three or five days. Of course, sickness or other life events will be tolerated with proper notification. For example, we're about to have another baby and that will consume quite a bit of my time.

I was also thinking about the second resolution. What about replacing the word "all" with "any"?

"Those who come to faith in Christ have no need of water baptism. Baptism plays no role in the salvation of lost people and is something that is not required of any who become Christians."

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How long would you like to allow between posts? I was thinking something like three or five days. Of course, sickness or other life events will be tolerated with proper notification. For example, we're about to have another baby and that will consume quite a bit of my time.

I was also thinking about the second resolution. What about replacing the word "all" with "any"?

"Those who come to faith in Christ have no need of water baptism. Baptism plays no role in the salvation of lost people and is something that is not is required of any who become Christians."

"any" is fine with me.

3 to 5 days is ok with me. With your new life situation coming, I would be willing to wait a month for your response. No need for anyone to be pressured.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chris Tan

Feb 16, 2016
Singapore
✟7,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe that baptism (immersion or dunking in water, form of baptism could be a separate debate topic) is for the remission of sins..

Are you implying that a sinner can only be forgiven of their sins through water baptism? A simple yes or no would suffice. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.