New England
✟489,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are Provisionists anti-Arminians or anti-Calvinists?

Good day, Rescued One

Provisionism can be summarized with the acrostic PROVIDE

People sin: Which separated all from fellowship with God.
Responsible: Able-to-respond to God’s appeals for reconciliation.
Open door: For anyone to enter by faith. Whosoever will may come to His open arms.
Vicarious atonement: Provides a way for anyone to be saved by Christ’s blood.
Illuminating grace: Provides clearly revealed truth so that all can know and respond in faith.
Destroyed: For unbelief and resisting the Holy Spirit.
Eternal security: For all true believers.

I would say "anti" both but certainly falls with Pelagianism IMHO.

Provisionism is not Arminianism. It is worse than Arminianism. It is closer to Semi-Pelagianism. They deny original sin (which they call "original guilt") and say that man is not charged with sin until he actually starts sinning. For some that may mean that man is not guilty of sin until he reaches the "age of accountability." Arminians don't deny the imputation of Adam's sin (they affirm a form of total depravity, although may not accept Calvinist views of imputation) but they believe that everyone is granted sufficient grace (termed prevenient grace) to be able to believe the gospel. Provisionists deny that a prior work of grace is needed. Some in Arminian churches who are less knowledgeable also do not understand their traditional teaching on prevenient grace. Sproul once said that the modern church is really more Semi Pelagian than it is Arminian, and I think it may be this kind of thing that he had in mind. (There are a lot of things that many members of many Calvinistic churches do not understand about their doctrines either, sadly.)

Provisionism was originally called "traditionalism," by which they mean the soteriology of early-mid 20th Century Southern Baptists, some of whom were not conservatives. It basically teaches that you can come to God unaided by a prior work of the Holy Spirit (they deny this, but both Calvinists and real Arminians say they are unclear at best) and then, to varying degrees, often teach a form of Eternal Security or Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS) in which repentance from sin is more or less optional. Arminianism on the other hand has such an emphasis on works in the Christian life that they tend toward legalism, and teach that salvation can be lost. The worst of them teach that it can be lost if you commit some "Big" sin but that you can repent and become saved again. Usually these are Pentecostals and maybe some Holiness or Wesleyan people. Sounder Arminians teach that salvation can be lost, but that apostasy consists of a definitive rejection of the faith.

Even the more sophisticated provisionists strenuously reject the idea that they are Arminian because they believe that their embrace of eternal security is incompatible with Arminianism. But some Arminians such as Roger Olson disagree. (Some of the more ignorant Arminians will argue that even embracing eternal security makes one a Calvinist!)

I think they so strenuously reject original sin because they believe that acceptance of that doctrine means that infants dying in infancy are damned. They teach that infants dying in infancy are "safe" rather than saved. (I've seen Dr. Adam Harwood use this terminology.) The infant hasn't exercised faith but also hasn't had sin imputed to them. They will say that man inherits a propensity or inclination toward sin that will inevitably lead him to sin once he is capable of moral action.

From where I sit, Free Will Baptist soteriology (i.e. "Reformed Arminianism" as opposed to Wesleyan Arminianism--I think the distinction mainly has to do with a rejection of Wesley's model of sanctification) is actually preferable to provisionism. To some Southern Baptists, that's a radical thing to say. But it is my well considered opinion that some Southern Baptists have all but made a golden calf out of the Cooperative Program (their way of funding missions) and thus remain yoked to people who are practically Semi-Pelagian. While the Cooperative Program enabled Calvinists to go on the mission field and plant churches that wouldn't have gotten that level of funding otherwise, it also results in paying the salaries of "provisionist" seminary professors, missionaries, and church planters. Some don't think they would have "access" to solid or accredited seminaries if they left the convention.

To find specific rebuttals, you'll probably need to find Southern Baptist resources. But since you are in South Africa I can see where that might be difficult. This board isn't the best place to go for that. It is mainly a Presbyterian board. Although I haven't watched any of them, I do know that James White has rebutted Leighton Flowers from time to time.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Good day, Rescued One

Provisionism can be summarized with the acrostic PROVIDE

People sin: Which separated all from fellowship with God.
Responsible: Able-to-respond to God’s appeals for reconciliation.
Open door: For anyone to enter by faith. Whosoever will may come to His open arms.
Vicarious atonement: Provides a way for anyone to be saved by Christ’s blood.
Illuminating grace: Provides clearly revealed truth so that all can know and respond in faith.
Destroyed: For unbelief and resisting the Holy Spirit.
Eternal security: For all true believers.

I would say "anti" both but certainly falls with Pelagianism IMHO.

Provisionism is not Arminianism. It is worse than Arminianism. It is closer to Semi-Pelagianism. They deny original sin (which they call "original guilt") and say that man is not charged with sin until he actually starts sinning. For some that may mean that man is not guilty of sin until he reaches the "age of accountability." Arminians don't deny the imputation of Adam's sin (they affirm a form of total depravity, although may not accept Calvinist views of imputation) but they believe that everyone is granted sufficient grace (termed prevenient grace) to be able to believe the gospel. Provisionists deny that a prior work of grace is needed. Some in Arminian churches who are less knowledgeable also do not understand their traditional teaching on prevenient grace. Sproul once said that the modern church is really more Semi Pelagian than it is Arminian, and I think it may be this kind of thing that he had in mind. (There are a lot of things that many members of many Calvinistic churches do not understand about their doctrines either, sadly.)

Provisionism was originally called "traditionalism," by which they mean the soteriology of early-mid 20th Century Southern Baptists, some of whom were not conservatives. It basically teaches that you can come to God unaided by a prior work of the Holy Spirit (they deny this, but both Calvinists and real Arminians say they are unclear at best) and then, to varying degrees, often teach a form of Eternal Security or Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS) in which repentance from sin is more or less optional. Arminianism on the other hand has such an emphasis on works in the Christian life that they tend toward legalism, and teach that salvation can be lost. The worst of them teach that it can be lost if you commit some "Big" sin but that you can repent and become saved again. Usually these are Pentecostals and maybe some Holiness or Wesleyan people. Sounder Arminians teach that salvation can be lost, but that apostasy consists of a definitive rejection of the faith.

Even the more sophisticated provisionists strenuously reject the idea that they are Arminian because they believe that their embrace of eternal security is incompatible with Arminianism. But some Arminians such as Roger Olson disagree. (Some of the more ignorant Arminians will argue that even embracing eternal security makes one a Calvinist!)

I think they so strenuously reject original sin because they believe that acceptance of that doctrine means that infants dying in infancy are damned. They teach that infants dying in infancy are "safe" rather than saved. (I've seen Dr. Adam Harwood use this terminology.) The infant hasn't exercised faith but also hasn't had sin imputed to them. They will say that man inherits a propensity or inclination toward sin that will inevitably lead him to sin once he is capable of moral action.

From where I sit, Free Will Baptist soteriology (i.e. "Reformed Arminianism" as opposed to Wesleyan Arminianism--I think the distinction mainly has to do with a rejection of Wesley's model of sanctification) is actually preferable to provisionism. To some Southern Baptists, that's a radical thing to say. But it is my well considered opinion that some Southern Baptists have all but made a golden calf out of the Cooperative Program (their way of funding missions) and thus remain yoked to people who are practically Semi-Pelagian. While the Cooperative Program enabled Calvinists to go on the mission field and plant churches that wouldn't have gotten that level of funding otherwise, it also results in paying the salaries of "provisionist" seminary professors, missionaries, and church planters. Some don't think they would have "access" to solid or accredited seminaries if they left the convention....
VERY informative! Thank you!

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2023
Southeast USA
✟8,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best I can explain this is that we are neither anti either but would prefer not to be caught up in a false dichotomy.

So often people are presented with “Are you a Calvinist or Arminian?”

To a Provisionist (is there actually a label for everything? Or MUST there be?)
there is truth in both, but unfortunately there is something that is held in each as unbiblical.
To a Provisionist they see…
- Calvinists having an unbiblical understanding of election and predestination
- Arminians profess that you can lose your faith after you’ve been saved

The funny thing that underlines all of this is that John Calvin didn’t believe in Limited Atonement and that Jacob Arminius was actually a Calvinist.

No?

• Wow
Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2023
Southeast USA
✟8,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
VERY informative! Thank you!
Provisiionist see the Gospel AS enough.
Someone actually told me once that “you can’t just come to God.”
I believe you can hear the Gospel (even deaf and some special needs people) and respond to it.

Those that have no or very limited capabilities to understand are saved, but I don’t know if I’ve ever actually met someone like that. I have met and experienced many people that would be in both of those categories.

Regardless, they have absolutely no guilt of sin (like infants and children “who do not know the right from the wrong.”). They have not sinned against their Maker.

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟73,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Provisiionist see the Gospel AS enough.
Someone actually told me once that “you can’t just come to God.”
I believe you can hear the Gospel (even deaf and some special needs people) and respond to it.

Those that have no or very limited capabilities to understand are saved, but I don’t know if I’ve ever actually met someone like that. I have met and experienced many people that would be in both of those categories.

Regardless, they have absolutely no guilt of sin (like infants and children “who do not know the right from the wrong.”). They have not sinned against their Maker.
I think Provisionists agree that you cannot come to God without first being moved by the Holy Spirit, but since the Gospel comes from the Spirit, hearing it is enough to turn to God.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2023
Southeast USA
✟8,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 18, 2023
Southeast USA
✟8,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The one who chooses to come is a sinner who is brought to Christ. Satan doesn't bring sinners to Christ.
Agreed, because the Holy Spirit convicts everyone in the world of their sin and that they are in need of THE Savior.
Satan tells people “did God really ssssssay?”

But Salvation is a free gift that must be received or rejected John 3:36. Receiving is also described as coming to, looking to, trusting in, turning to, calling on and other terms in context.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
1 Corinthians 3:6
I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow.

John 6:37
All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.

Romans 8
5Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh; but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. 6The mind of the flesh is death, but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace, 7because the mind of the flesh is hostile to God: It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. 8Those controlled by the flesh cannot please God.

Upvote 0