Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm baking some lemon bars for my grandson's birthday. The last time I baked was for my husband's birthday.

I want to bake some cookies for my neighbor soon.
Happy birthday to your grandson! may he grow up to be a man of God.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Happy birthday to your grandson! may he grow up to be a man of God.

Thank you. He became a man of God last year! He's my oldest grandchild.

I'll pass on the birthday wishes.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. He became a man of God last year! He's my oldest grandchild.

I'll pass on the birthday wishes.
I read and re-read your post and at first I thought I read that he became a man last year; i.e., 18; but now I see you were repeating my phrase 'man of God', which presumably means you are saying he made a profession of faith. :)

(I always think of praying for young people as surrounding them with invisible walls of fire.)

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I love baking. Haven't bought a loaf of bread in years---well, for a couple months after I came home from the hospital, until I got enough strength to do it myself again. Anything hubby wants, he gets. I even made bear claws for him one day as he was wanting some. There is not much I have not made---and no disaster has been bypassed.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love baking. Haven't bought a loaf of bread in years---well, for a couple months after I came home from the hospital, until I got enough strength to do it myself again. Anything hubby wants, he gets. I even made bear claws for him one day as he was wanting some. There is not much I have not made---and no disaster has been bypassed.
So you have a bread making machine maybe? or perhaps you hand knead the dough? We invested in a bread making machine (or it might even have been a gift to us).

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
So you have a bread making machine maybe? or perhaps you hand knead the dough? We invested in a bread making machine (or it might even have been a gift to us).

I had one for a long time--it sort of broke, had to put a weight on the top in order for it to work. Gave it to a friend who didn't mind that. I never replaced it. I prefer to make it myself, actually. It's just that my Kitchen Aide mixer broker (2 months after the warranty died!) and I haven't had the money to fix it, so now I really have to do things by hand. Kneading by hand is very hard for me now, but I do it. I've stayed away lately from things that really need the mixed---whipping egg whites, and so on, creaming butter and sugar for cookies is very hard now and haven't made any in a while (husband hangs head and pouts.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I had one for a long time--it sort of broke, had to put a weight on the top in order for it to work. Gave it to a friend who didn't mind that. I never replaced it. I prefer to make it myself, actually. It's just that my Kitchen Aide mixer broker (2 months after the warranty died!) and I haven't had the money to fix it, so now I really have to do things by hand. Kneading by hand is very hard for me now, but I do it. I've stayed away lately from things that really need the mixed---whipping egg whites, and so on, creaming butter and sugar for cookies is very hard now and haven't made any in a while (husband hangs head and pouts.)
Well, go for it; I'm all for being self-sufficient in staples such as bread. :)

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'm baking some lemon bars for my grandson's birthday. The last time I baked was for my husband's birthday.

I want to bake some cookies for my neighbor soon.

Did you make the lemon bars??---My first husband and I owned a little bookstore--and sold soup and sandwich's and called it a bookaraunt. I made lemon bars and Mexican wedding balls for it and it was hard to keep up with the demand for them. It was really a partnership my husband had a friend of ours and I eventually left it as I had a job cooking at a ranch/hotel. I had also developed a sandwich bun --a Mexican one--it had some masa in them--made for a rather good sandwich and when I left I gave the recipe to a local baker who continued to make the buns for our friend. After several years, they closed it as a big bookstore had moved into town and we couldn't compete anymore. It was a small town up in the northern Calif mountains, below Yosemite. I haven't made the lemon bars since, and I really did love the things. My husband now doesn't care much for lemon---poor thing.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, I made the lemon bars. I never got into baking bread --- my husband seldom ate bread. He loved the aroma of baking bread, but I baked some without knowing he didn't love to eat it! When I found that out, I said phooey with it. He loved to eat a bowl of cereal at bedtime.

As far as baking goes, I usually baked cookies or cakes. His favorite was pineapple-upside-down cake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I made the lemon bars. I never got into baking bread --- my husband seldom ate bread. He love the aroma of baking bread, but I baked some without knowing he didn't love to eat it! When I found that out, I said phooey with it. He loved to eat a bowl of cereal at bedtime.

As far as baking goes, I usually baked cookies or cakes. His favorite was pineapple-upside-down cake.

You refer to him in the past tense---widow or divorced? My 1st husband loved Boston cream pie--I learned to make that for him (he died about 5-6 years after we divorced, but we had learned to communicate by then and were best buds, though both of us were remarried--I still felt like a widow when he died)My husband now loves German chocolate cake--yep--learned to make that. He has a horrible sweet tooth and loves anything sweet. One thing about him, I don't have to worry about what's for dinner, if I don't feel like cooking, he loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches---loves them. Many times he'd rather have that than anything else. His mother was a terrible cook and her PB&J's were horrible--he says she just kind of waved the bread over the peanut butter and jelly. I reminded him that she had 7 kids to feed, she must have been trying to make things stretch. He loves them with gobs and gobs of both.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You refer to him in the past tense---widow or divorced? My 1st husband loved Boston cream pie--I learned to make that for him (he died about 5-6 years after we divorced, but we had learned to communicate by then and were best buds, though both of us were remarried--I still felt like a widow when he died)My husband now loves German chocolate cake--yep--learned to make that. He has a horrible sweet tooth and loves anything sweet. One thing about him, I don't have to worry about what's for dinner, if I don't feel like cooking, he loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches---loves them. Many times he'd rather have that than anything else. His mother was a terrible cook and her PB&J's were horrible--he says she just kind of waved the bread over the peanut butter and jelly. I reminded him that she had 7 kids to feed, she must have been trying to make things stretch. He loves them with gobs and gobs of both.

My husband died of cancer. We were married 43 years, a first marriage for both of us. I'm the one with the sweet tooth; he drank so much sweetened coffee that he didn't need any dessert.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
My husband died of cancer. We were married 43 years, a first marriage for both of us. I'm the one with the sweet tooth; he drank so much sweetened coffee that he didn't need any dessert.

So sorry. Today, sad to say, 43 years is an incredibly long marriage.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0