WI
✟78,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Azumanga Daioh (2002), an anime which I started on October 1st, and will end in mid-November 2023, there is a character from the Japanese prefecture of Osaka who goes by the nickname Osaka, but actual name is Ayumu Kasuga. Her English dub, voiced by Kira Vincent-Davis has a southern accent, as Osaka is considered to be a more rural part of Japan. This is a funny 60 seconds* worth of humor when she confuses an elevator and an escalator:

*The video was published on 2019-08-01 by Azumaniac.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Osaka has a lot of good scenes. Like the one where she kicks off a shoe to foretell the weather. It's become an internet meme.
No way, another Azumanga Daioh-er? Awesome. :) But yeah, Osaka had plenty of good scenes in the anime. The anime is so unique, but it is great.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I still have it on DVD. One of the few school comedies I really enjoyed.
I MP4 converted the series, cos I didn't know the library had it. Luckily, they do. :) Have you watched Hunter X Hunter (2011), or Spirited Away (2001)?

You have a cool username, as I was fascinated with the chemical elements back in the early 2010s. Yttrium is a metal that somehow finds ways into compounds with rare-earth metals in the Earth's crust, and is used in yttrium lasers (Nd:YAG technology) and other electronics. It even was featured in the "That's All Folks" ending card to the Looney Tunes, as it was a colorant for the Technicolor film of that era.

Yttrium Uses: Yttrium - Element information, properties and uses | Periodic Table

Edited at 8:14 PM CST: Misspelled Looney Tunes (it is not Loony)

Reactions: Yttrium
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Have you watched Hunter X Hunter (2011), or Spirited Away (2001)?
I watched a couple Hunter X Hunter episodes, but it's not my style. It's one of the better shounen shows, but I don't usually get into shounen unless it's by Rumiko Takahashi.

Didn't watch Spirited Away. I'm not big on Studio Ghibli, but I did see Princess Mononoke, and I loved Kiki's Delivery Service.

I'm more of a science fiction fan, so I like shows like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Gundam, Dirty Pair, Kiddy Grade, Code Geass, 86, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Trigun, etc etc.
It even was featured in the "That's All Folks" ending card to the Looney Tunes, as it was a colorant for the Technicolor film of that era.
Very interesting. I did not know that.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I watched a couple Hunter X Hunter episodes, but it's not my style. It's one of the better shounen shows, but I don't usually get into shounen unless it's by Rumiko Takahashi.

Didn't watch Spirited Away. I'm not big on Studio Ghibli, but I did see Princess Mononoke, and I loved Kiki's Delivery Service.

I'm more of a science fiction fan, so I like shows like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Gundam, Dirty Pair, Kiddy Grade, Code Geass, 86, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Trigun, etc etc.

Very interesting. I did not know that.
Nice. Hunter X Hunter got me into anime though, starting November 2021. Sci-fi is my favorite genre in general, so Cowboy Bebop piqued my interest in July 2023. I tried Akira (1988 sci-fi), and it was a bit too bloody, but the movie was good. I'll try Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke for Ghibli. Have watched When Marnie was There, From up on Poppy Hill and Ponyo the fish movies. I'll pop in your sci-fi movie recommendations into the library list, and rent them. Library DVDs are free to rent in my area. I used to not like anime, as there was anime on Cartoon Network as a kid during the late 2000s, and it was just too much focused on power-ups such as DB-Z, Naruto and Pokemon.

By the way, Jojo is a terrible anime, so avoid that one. Too violent, and they show harm to humans and animals. 0/5 stars, bad show.

So, you probably don't like One Piece (Shonen Jump)? I like it, but Roronoa Zoro cusses a bit too much, and there is some filler episodes.

By the way, in April 2023, I asked Bing Chat what it thought about DB-Z.
Bing AI: "This is a very subjective question, as different anime fans may have different preferences and opinions on what makes an anime good or bad. However, based on some of the search results, here are some possible reasons why some people may prefer One Piece and Hunter X Hunter over Naruto and Dragon Ball:

- One Piece and Hunter X Hunter have more **diverse and interconnected worlds** with many fantastic creatures, places, cultures and races. Naruto and Dragon Ball are more limited in their settings and mostly focus on Japan or Earth.

- One Piece and Hunter X Hunter have more **complex and relatable villains** with various motivations and flaws. Naruto and Dragon Ball have more stereotypical and overpowered villains who are mostly evil for the sake of being evil.

- One Piece and Hunter X Hunter have more **strategic and balanced combat systems** with various abilities, limitations and tactics. Naruto and Dragon Ball rely more on power-ups, transformations and brute force.

- One Piece and Hunter X Hunter have more **emotional and psychological depth** in their characters and themes, exploring issues such as isolation, identity, morality, loyalty, friendship, etc. Naruto and Dragon Ball are more straightforward and simple in their character development and messages.

- One Piece and Hunter X Hunter have more **silliness and humor** in their tone and style, balancing the serious moments with the comedic ones. Naruto and Dragon Ball are more serious and dramatic in their tone and style.

Of course, these are not definitive or objective reasons, and there may be exceptions or counter arguments for each point. Ultimately, it depends on what you enjoy and appreciate in an anime. You may like all four of them, or none of them, or some of them. There is no right or wrong answer to this question."

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
By the way, Jojo is a terrible anime, so avoid that one. Too violent, and they show harm to humans and animals. 0/5 stars, bad show.
Yeah, I don't like Jojo.
So, you probably don't like One Piece (Shonen Jump)? I like it, but Roronoa Zoro cusses a bit too much, and there is some filler episodes.
Nope, nope, can't handle the One Piece art style. I hear that there's a good live action version on Netflix, but I don't have Netflix, so I haven't seen it.
Of course, these are not definitive or objective reasons, and there may be exceptions or counter arguments for each point. Ultimately, it depends on what you enjoy and appreciate in an anime. You may like all four of them, or none of them, or some of them. There is no right or wrong answer to this question."
My answer to the question is: Ranma 1/2.

However, if you haven't seen Demon Slayer, you might want to check it out. I enjoyed most of the first season before it got too shounen for me. It's one of the best shounen shows out there, with great fight scenes and a compelling story.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I don't like Jojo.

Nope, nope, can't handle the One Piece art style. I hear that there's a good live action version on Netflix, but I don't have Netflix, so I haven't seen it.

My answer to the question is: Ranma 1/2.

However, if you haven't seen Demon Slayer, you might want to check it out. I enjoyed most of the first season before it got too shounen for me. It's one of the best shounen shows out there, with great fight scenes and a compelling story.
Amen to disliking Jojo. Am surprised why JJBA has such good reviews for such a terrible anime. I will try Ranma 1/2, as long as it isn't violent. Demon Slayer is popular among older gen-Z and some millennials, but has too much blood and fighting, hence the reason why I avoid Jojo as well. Live action anime sounds weird, but maybe I'll give it a go, when the live action One Piece hits the DVD shelf at the library. By the way, my avatar is from Cowboy Bebop, his name is Spike Spiegel. He is brown, just as I am somewhat during the summer.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
By the way, my avatar is from Cowboy Bebop, his name is Spike Spiegel.
Well, yeah. Any anime fan who doesn't recognize Spike needs to have their otaku license revoked. That's one of the most famous anime shows of all time.

Ranma 1/2 does have cartoonish martial arts violence, but it's a comedy. You can enjoy such things as martial arts cooking, martial arts figure skating, martial arts rhythmic gymnastics, martial arts food delivery, and the list goes on and on. However, it does have some nakedness here and there. Standards for nakedness are a bit lower for Japanese TV.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, yeah. Any anime fan who doesn't recognize Spike needs to have their otaku license revoked. That's one of the most famous anime shows of all time.

Ranma 1/2 does have cartoonish martial arts violence, but it's a comedy. You can enjoy such things as martial arts cooking, martial arts figure skating, martial arts rhythmic gymnastics, martial arts food delivery, and the list goes on and on. However, it does have some nakedness here and there. Standards for nakedness are a bit lower for Japanese TV.
That is true for Spike Spiegel. I am not into anime that shows too much skin. Maybe there is a clean version of Ranma 1/2 out there.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hey, here is a 2024 update. I just started Ranma 1/2. The anime is going well. :)

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟246,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Hey, here is a 2024 update. I just started Ranma 1/2. The anime is going well. :)
Good news. I'd like to see them do a remake someday. Cut down on the filler and get through the rest of the manga. I think the show only got through about half the manga.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good news. I'd like to see them do a remake someday. Cut down on the filler and get through the rest of the manga. I think the show only got through about half the manga.
I will have to tell you the rest about Ranma 1/2 when I get the show done by the early summer. Hopefully a good remake happens.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟78,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Azumanga Daioh anime: Mr. Kimura being a creep. Man, this is why anime is a love-hate thing for me. This guy reminds me of the creepy priests/pastors or school teachers one hears on the news every so often. At least Mr. Kimura only gets 10 minutes of screen time on this show. People need to treat each other with dignity, and not crush on people that are young or can not consent.

Upvote 0