Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I just wonder if anyone even remembers me here?

I am hosting Aviad Cohen live on my BlogTV show Monday night 10 PM easern

you can find it at Nehemiah_Center - Nehemiah_Center Live - blogTV

(Hey if posting URL's is against policy please moderators take it easy on an old man and just delete the thread)

Blessings

and

Shalom!

PG

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Didn't he distance himself from Messianic Judaism a few years back?

A lot (if not most) of the people raised as Jews who meet Jesus find the Messianic movement difficult to reconcile with their Jewish upbringing. Even on this forum that is represented, I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
A lot (if not most) of the people raised as Jews who meet Jesus find the Messianic movement difficult to reconcile with their Jewish upbringing.

Why is that so? Why would a Jew have issues reconciling
the Messianic faith with their Jewish upbringing, but have no
issue with reconciling Christianity with it?

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why is that so? Why would a Jew have issues reconciling
the Messianic faith with their Jewish upbringing, but have no
issue with reconciling Christianity with it?

Loaded question? :)

Got a few hours? It would be an interesting topic, but it would get hijacked.

Upvote 0

Heber

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2008
✟21,923.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Got a few hours? It would be an interesting topic, but it would get hijacked.

I agree. For starters, we know what Judaism believes and we know what Christianity believes - both to a large extent.

Does anyone know what a supporter of the Messianic movement believes, and how that belief relates to Judaism and / or Christianity with any certainty?

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Shalom guys,
I'll share with you a mental picture that helps to explain where I'm at, or trying to arrive.
The Menorah is one of the few "religious" symbols given us by Hashem Himself. It is a beautiful picture of perfected balance (as seen in the WHOLE Bible). If a person stands before it, that is what they see. But if the menorah is halved it becomes heavy and burdensome trying to hold it upright. For the Jew, the Messiah's work is missing, and for the Christian the Torah is missing - both are struggling to uphold an unbalanced Menorah. Put the two together, Torah (written) and Torah (in the flesh) and you have once again a perfectly, beautifully balanced Menorah.
So I guess that's what I believe - that the two compliment each other and cannot be whole without the other.

Upvote 0

Heber

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2008
✟21,923.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yedida,

You see the whole balanced end piece as being the Messianic movement, I assume? Using your perfectly good illustration I would say that the Messianic Movement hasn't yet really got to grips with the plans to allow it to make a decision as what it should look like when it is all joined together. The only plans we have are 2000+ years old and a little the worse for wear with stains and dirt obliterating the ultimate design that G_d set out. Some is written in a way we cannot understand easily and yet other bits seem not to make sense to one side or the other. It is these finers details that we are still arguing about, as well as really serious questions such as: what should it say under that blob of blood or that pogrom? What is written about balance under the massive tear in its very fabric that was the holocaust? How can we repair the ever darker stain that is Replacement Theology? How can we fit Messiah into the very centre when we can only see him on one side? How can we fit the law into everything when it, too, is really on just one side? What do we do about the whole plan that is covered in the dirt of our sin, so that we can but see as through a glass, darkly? Thankfully the tears of the saints have washed some parts for us and we know that G_d wishes that his head were made of tears that he could cry bucketfulls for his people and cleanse it all.

Where can we find the balance? only in and through Yeshua, when all these things are made clear in his time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Not at all. To me Christianity and the Messianic faith share the
same basic theology. That's why I don't understand why one
would be an issue as far as reconciliation goes, but the other
would not be.

It would be an interesting topic, but it would get hijacked.
Hopefully not. Since the Jews here seem split between Messianic
and Christian, I think it could be kept on track. And a non-Jew, or a Jew who was not brought up Jewish, would not really have a basis on which to answer the question

Oh, BTW, I don't disagree with you. Of the Jews who have left Judaism for another faith, I think it's far more likely they
will be drawn to Christianity rather than the Messianic faith. Just a gut feeling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Heber,
That is just the way I feel. Both Judaism and Christianity lack vital elements that can be found in the other. Bring the two together.......
Most Christians fail to see the abundant grace and mercy that is Hashem, but the Jews know Him. And of course, we know what the Jews lack, Yeshua.
Yeah, the Messie movement is still young and going through growing pains but I think we'll get all pulled together before too long. The journey has been wonderful so far.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Most Christians fail to see the abundant grace and mercy that is Hashem

No matter how hard I look at this statement, I cannot see it as even remotely true. It seems absurd and baseless.

Reactions: ChavaK
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
CM,
What part is troubling you, the 'most christians' or 'grace and mercy of Hashem in the OT'?

The whole statement, actually.

On my desk I have three hymnals, and when I saw your post I looked at them and was reminded how laden with the praises of God's grace and mercy they are. Christianity is almost entirely about grace and mercy. Almost every hymn we sing in Church teaches some aspect of grace. It's really the central theme of the religion and it would be hard to miss that.

OTOH, Judaism doesn't have as much a focus on grace (but mercy is taught of course) as Christianity, and there are even some Jews that deny any concept of grace at all- saying that there is no need to be "saved" in the Christian sense taught in the Torah.

If you are in a congregation where grace is not taught- get out! It's probably a mosque.

Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
CM
I am from an excellent fellowship.
As far as your statement about the hymnals, I agree. IMO, there isn't a song that can touch It Is Well with My Soul. Sadly, most churches no longer use the old songs. They sing the WOW type praise songs (I have no problem with those) and I've heard bunches of SG (which I abhor, gives me the heeby jeevys, a fingernail scratching down the blackboard). Also, those old hymnals were written way long ago. People's ears weren't itching soooo bad as now.
5 years ago, I went to a different church every week (sometimes more if I went on a Sun eve or a Weds) and I found nothing that made me want to return. (At the time I had never heard the word Messianic.) This year of visits is what makes me think the way I do about how Christians view Hashem.
I began in the church and am aware that a large number (I won't say 'majority') of people think that as long as they keep 9 of the 10 commandments, then all is good. Abba is up in heaven just laughing away at His little children as they trudge through this dreary life on their way to heaven. To them, Hashem is not the same as the God of Judgement found in the OT (or else He's changed).
All I did, CM, is state that the God we know today through His revealed word is the same - it's all one complete whole Gospel, from Gen. to Rev. He's the God of Mercy and Grace as well as the God of Judgement.
I don't always word things in the best way. Sorry.

Upvote 0