SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
'Avengers: Infinity War' May Crush These 7 Box Office Records
Today is the overseas debut for Avengers: Infinity War as it begins its week-long attempt at global box office domination. We'll know soon enough how it's going to perform. The reviews are mostly positive and I'm not expecting too much blowback from the whole "sell Deathly Hallows Part I like it's Deathly Hallows Part II" thing. You get your money's worth in terms of superhero entertainment value, and Marvel has earned enough goodwill to get away with this, if only once.

While it's sold as "the end of the end," it's more like "the beginning of the end." Still, this is a massive MCU spectacle, where almost every major MCU hero shows up to try to stop Thanos from wiping half the universe. If you wanted to see the Phase Two and Phase Three MCU heroes palling around with the Phase One folks, this is your cup of tea.

What records will it break this weekend as it opens in North America and around the world? What records might it break?

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
See How Insanely Connected Marvel's MCU Really Is with Amazing Chart
Infinity War will connect the 18 previous MCU films into one epic showdown, but it wont exactly be starting from scratch. Marvel has been masterfully interweaving its countless characters and stories for the last decade, and not just in the two Avengers movies or Captain America: Civil War, but in each and every film. Heroes and villains are just as likely to appear in another movie as they are their own, which is why the showdown with the Thanos will mean so much–it will be set against a shared, rich history with one another. But just exactly how much time audiences have spent with these character can be difficult to calculate. Or rather it was, because one fan has put together an insanely-detailed graph that shows which heroes have meant the most to the story, and which ones have meant the most to each other.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
"sell Deathly Hallows Part I like it's Deathly Hallows Part II" thing.

Wat.

People who think that need to read more comics. Back when the first Infinity Gauntlet was released in the 80's it was a six issue event. Now when Marvel does these events (way to often btw) the put out say, six main books containing the meat of the storyline... then they add in tie ins with other books...

For example:Infinity (comic book) - Wikipedia

This is the event that it kinda looks like the movie is loosely based on. It's got Thanos and the Black Order coming for earth.

Below are the books involved in the event. If you want the complete story, you read those. Also Marvel comics today run 4 to 5 dollars.

Or you can wait till it's six months after the event for collected editions where you get 4 or 5 issues per book. It'll usually save you a few bucks.
a53nxpV.png

So the point of all this was, this isn't like splitting one novel into two because of studio greed, if were considering the MCU an event each movie that had something to do with an infinity stone would be a part of this event. That's a lot of movies.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't get how they would fit it into one movie either, this is not The Hobbit where we know there isn't a lot of material, this is a meaty story that can't simply fit into two hours.

I saw it last night, it was great. A few clunky things, but nothing that takes away from the movie. I am curious what the weekend box office take will be?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I saw it today, and I think Marvel is selling us magic beans. Some of the jokes made me mildly interested in watching the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but otherwise, there was nothing unique or interesting about any of it. The writing, cinematography, choreography, sound design, and music were all incredibly cliched. There was almost no development arc or pacing to anything. Things kinda picked up in the last 45 minutes or so, but the rest of it was boring. And it was way too long.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I saw it today, and I think Marvel is selling us magic beans. Some of the jokes made me mildly interested in watching the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but otherwise, there was nothing unique or interesting about any of it. The writing, cinematography, choreography, sound design, and music were all incredibly cliched. There was almost no development arc or pacing to anything. Things kinda picked up in the last 45 minutes or so, but the rest of it was boring. And it was way too long.
That doesn't sound good. How long was it?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I've never had a problem with movies being cliche. The first Avengers movie was incredibly cliche, but it's a matter of whether you do cliche well. As for my overall attitude about the film, I consider it akin to The Matrix Reloaded, where I cannot have a full opinion of the film until the sequel next year. In the case of the Matrix movies, The Matrix Revolutions did not live up to the task, which hurt the second film for me.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
About 2.5 hours, I agree a bit in that regard, I checked my watch at least twice. I didn't do that for Black Panther or Thor: Ragnarok (although Thor was a slightly different experience because I watched it at home).

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

About 2.5 hours, I agree a bit in that regard, I checked my watch at least twice. I didn't do that for Black Panther or Thor: Ragnarok (although Thor was a slightly different experience because I watched it at home).

Ugh, you're right. I thought it was closer to 2:45-2:50.

Granted, everybody else I saw it with loved it.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Event books/movies like this aren't about character development. They're pay offs for the development from other films.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Event books/movies like this aren't about character development. They're pay offs for the development from other films.

I get that there's back story I'm missing, and that's fine. But I just don't think this is a good movie. It felt like mashup of a bunch of rehashed vignettes.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
'Avengers: Infinity War' Opens with Record Shattering $250M Domestically & $630M Worldwide
Audiences assembled worldwide as Disney and Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War broke both the domestic opening weekend box office record and worldwide opening record with a massive $250 million domestically and $630 million worldwide. In its wake, the majority of films on the weekend box office chart fell dramatically, though fellow Marvel Cinematic Universe release Black Panther improved its position from eighth place last weekend to a spot in this weekend's top five, truly making this a Marvel-ous weekend.

Infinity War's opening weekend bests the previous record of $247.9 million set by Star Wars: The Force Awakens back in December 2015 by just over $2 million, but it's also worth mentioning Disney under-estimated Black Panther's $202 million opening by nearly $10 million on Sunday. The studio also under-estimated The Avengers's performance by $7 million and under-estimated Avengers: Age of Ultron by $3.6 million. As such, don't be surprised to see Infinity War's debut blossom come actuals on Monday afternoon. At this moment, the film accounts for 84.4% of the domestic top twelve, second only to Ultron's 84.5% market share.

Upvote 0