keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟325,952.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I hear that a cross built on public land will not be supported by taxpayer money...

And a School will no longer be allowed to display the 10 commandments without displaying other historical legal documents in equal priority...

And perhaps someday it will no longer be legally required that a person believe in God to serve on a jury in Texas.

I know, equality is a scary thing!

You mean I can get out of Jury Duty in Texas by not believinge in God!

Praise the Lord!

Oops. Think I just blew it.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
grasping the after wind said:
Don't take my post any more seriously than I took yours. Just tweaking you about it. And it was a she that you were replying to, you sexist.

I knew I should have checked...

Anyway, cheers.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟325,952.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I would say they're being a bit spiteful in the lottery the atheists got 18 of the 21 lots and are only using 3 of them. It also makes this seem like it's less about the atheist being heard which is why in years past they were claiming the old system was unfair and more about riling some Christians.

Atheist messages displace CA park nativity scenes - Yahoo! News

And it looks like someone in the city was intentionally planning things to make such an outcome likely.

With allowing individuals to apply for up to 9 spaces, and it seems making the draw so that if they won they got all 9. That runs directly against the reason for a lottery, to allow mutliple voices, instead they designed something to allow voices to be silenced.

It seems each of 2 athiests got 9 spaces each. While the various Churches only got 1 each.

Speaking as an Agnostic and speaking for my dead father who was an very firm athiest. This kind of athiest is nothing like either of us and I have far more common ground with most Christians, Jews, Muslims and people of most other faiths.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟282,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems strange that no one has challenged the name of the city yet---"Saint Monica" in Spanish.

One would think that they'd try to change it to something like "Nulidad Secular".

All those California cities are like that....San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Jose, San Bernardino, Santa Ana, Sacramento, San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz, San Clemente, Santa Maria, and El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula (L.A.).

Never have figured that out. I'm surprised they haven't tried to change the names to things like Leningrad, Gorkiy, Karl Marx Platz, and Ho Chi Minh City. ;)

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems strange that no one has challenged the name of the city yet---"Saint Monica" in Spanish.

One would think that they'd try to change it to something like "Nulidad Secular".

All those California cities are like that....San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Jose, San Bernardino, Santa Ana, Sacramento, San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz, San Clemente, Santa Maria, and El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula (L.A.).

Never have figured that out. I'm surprised they haven't tried to change the names to things like Leningrad, Gorkiy, Karl Marx Platz, and Ho Chi Minh City. ;)

It would have to be New Ho Chi Minh City or Nuevo Ho Chi Minh Ciudad . Who would want to live in Karl Marx' Platz?

Upvote 0

Exiledoomsayer

Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this
Jan 7, 2010
✟17,737.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

The thing is its already been established that if something has been around long enough it is historical and no objections will be able to change it.

So that would be one reason not to bother trying ;)

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The thing is its already been established that if something has been around long enough it is historical and no objections will be able to change it.

So that would be one reason not to bother trying ;)

I don't think this can be true. The length of time something has been around does not insulate it from being changed. Marriage has been around much longer than any of those cities and New York, just this year, changed it. If that can be accomplished so can changing the name of a city.

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think this can be true. The length of time something has been around does not insulate it from being changed. Marriage has been around much longer than any of those cities and New York, just this year, changed it. If that can be accomplished so can changing the name of a city.

The concept of marriage has been around probably for almost as long as homo sapiens have existed. Heck, maybe longer. But it's a concept that has been in constant flux. Sure, some states have been tweaking the definition lately to include any two consenting adults, but the previous definition--"one consenting male and one consenting female" had only been around since 1967. Before then, it was "one consenting white male and one consenting white female, or else a consenting male and female of any other race." And even since the Loving v Virginia ruling, it got tweaked again in the 80's to remove the marital exception to rape laws.

Those bits about only one of each sex, the requirement that they be consenting, and the requirement that they be adults are all fairly modern innovations also.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟325,952.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

This jsut reminded me of a local name for Santa Monica, The Peoples rephblic of Santa Monica, given to the city becaseu of rent control. And that reminded me of one other things Santa Monica does. The vast majority of on street parting requires a district permit. In short thos from out of town cannot park in Santa Monica.

But it seems out of towners can get spaces for Christmas displays, which are far more limited than parking places.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟282,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This jsut reminded me of a local name for Santa Monica, The Peoples rephblic of Santa Monica, given to the city becaseu of rent control. And that reminded me of one other things Santa Monica does. The vast majority of on street parting requires a district permit. In short thos from out of town cannot park in Santa Monica.

But it seems out of towners can get spaces for Christmas displays, which are far more limited than parking places.

I knew a guy in the Air Force who was from Santa Monica. He said he was not going to go back there to live after he got out. I never asked him why.

Of course, I heard the same thing from a guy who was from Palatine, Illinois, and from another guy who was from Cohoes, New York. Go figure.

Me, I was perfectly happy to come back to Michigan. I gotta have my big water. :)

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I wonder what these guys plan to do with the space...?

C'mon, it might be a really classy move to put up a nativity scene, and just say "hey, we don't believe in it, but here ya go."

Doesn't seem particularly likely, but it's a thought. I mean, what are they gonna put up? The birth of Isaac Asimov?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟282,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder what these guys plan to do with the space...?

C'mon, it might be a really classy move to put up a nativity scene, and just say "hey, we don't believe in it, but here ya go."

Doesn't seem particularly likely, but it's a thought. I mean, what are they gonna put up? The birth of Isaac Asimov?

I've wondered about that, too. I mean, okay, put up a Nativity. Next to it a menorah, next to it a star and crescent, next to it a Buddha. That takes care of Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Buddhists. Next to that, a space with nothing in it. Religion-wise, atheists believe in nothing, if I am not mistaken, so see? They're already represented. Thanks for coming out, and have a nice day.

I'm always hearing this bit about, "If sex on television offends you, don't watch! How is it hurting you if others do?", or "If you think gay marriage is immoral, don't get one! How is it hurting you if others do?" Okay. So if you think Nativity scenes are offensive, don't look at them. How is it hurting you if others do?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,211,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm always hearing this bit about, "If sex on television offends you, don't watch! How is it hurting you if others do?", or "If you think gay marriage is immoral, don't get one! How is it hurting you if others do?" Okay. So if you think Nativity scenes are offensive, don't look at them. How is it hurting you if others do?

It's not a matter of offense but rather the unconsitutonal meddling of the state in matters of religion by offering a platform to some view but not others. The content of the views is irreverent the promotion of them is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟282,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not a matter of offense but rather the unconsitutonal meddling of the state in matters of religion by offering a platform to some view but not others. The content of the views is irreverent the promotion of them is.

Personally, I think that's a cop-out. I think it's used as an excuse to squash something that you don't like, and to get a strange satisfaction out of making sure that others are deprived of it as well. Just like I said: kids fighting over toys. "If I can't have fun, I'll make sure nobody else can, either." Rob the season of its joy.

Of course, that's just my humble opinion, but I don't think I'm far off the mark. Your mileage may vary.

The-Grinch-classic-christmas-cartoons-17601683-380-285.jpg

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,211,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I think that's a cop-out.

It's well established law actually

I think it's used as an excuse to squash something that you don't like, and to get a strange satisfaction out of making sure that others are deprived of it as well. Just like I said: kids fighting over toys. "If I can't have fun, I'll make sure nobody else can, either." Rob the season of its joy..

Such knowledge of me and so many other atheist you have never met how does one get such magical powers?

If the state does not provide you a plot of land and its implied endorsement will your holiday some how be lessened? Are all pieces of private property owned by christian individuals and groups insufficent room to set up your nativity sceans that you some how require the proverbial court house law as well?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟282,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Such knowledge of me and so many other atheist you have never met how does one get such magical powers?

They were bestowed on me by the Flying Spaghetti Monster. ;)

Upvote 0