Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
COMMENTARY: Dealing with evidence is always complicated, and tricky, and may or may not lead to a conclusion. But you’ll never get anywhere if you dogmatically refuse to accept the evidence as evidence.

He seems very smart, but not always someone who thinks very well.

“Atheism does not require an argument,” the man declared in a Facebook post I saw. “My method is to believe only in things for which there is adequate evidence. There is no evidence for God.”

There being no evidence, he doesn’t need to make a case for his atheism. Simple as that.

He was responding to a quote from C.S. Lewis he’d picked up somewhere. It comes from Lewis’ BBC talks published as The Case for Christianity, but didn’t make it into the revised version of the talks we know as Mere Christianity.

Lewis argues that if there is “no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind,” our thoughts — or what we naively think our thoughts — will be purely accidental, of no value in knowing what’s there or not there. Just physical or chemical reactions, not guides to truth.

“If I can’t trust my own thinking,” he concludes, “of course I can’t trust the arguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an Atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I cannot believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God.”

Continued below.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Doesn't this apply to both Christians and Non-alike?

"He concludes, “If I say ‘a peasant saw a ghost,’ I am told, ‘But peasants are so credulous.’ If I ask, ‘Why credulous?’ the only answer is — that they see ghosts.”

Especially in the areas of Quantum science and also NDE's

Upvote 0