Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is it morally correct for Christian forums to classify atheism as a faith?

Only if there is something immoral about their motivations for classifying atheism as a faith.

If they are just trying to belittle atheists out of spite, then it's immoral. If they honestly believe that atheism is a faith, then it's not.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't see the slightest issue. Oh it might be technically more accurate to call it Religious position or some even longer phrase. But even without using something longer it is clear what the intent is and that is to give a very general bit of information about someone's faith or lack of the same.

Upvote 0

He is Risen 72

Colossians 2:14 The Law is nailed to the Cross!!
Sep 3, 2013
Michigan
✟27,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
People who say atheism is a 'faith' have two choices,

1. Give me my tax exemption, or
2. Shut up.

Why should you be tax exempt? Are you a building or organization of some kind? Christians pay taxes.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens

2. Shut up.

Why should you be tax exempt? Are you a building or organization of some kind? Christians pay taxes.
He's got a point, I'm pretty sure Levayan Satanists and Raelians can take advantage of religious tax exemptions, while still being atheists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it morally correct for Christian forums to classify atheism as a faith?

I don't know. Depends on the intention. Even then, perhaps they really believe atheism is a faith. While wrong and intentional, it could still not be immoral if the intent was genuine.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

2. Shut up.
If an Atheist organization wanted to set itself up as a non for profit charity that dedicated all its funds to helping the needy then they could get their tax exemptions. You dont have to be a religion to get a tax exemption for charity work. I know of sports and community organizations who are not religiously connected who are tax exempt because they do community work to help the members of the community.

Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I think it is a faith in that its an attitude towards religion. So I am fine with the classificaiton. In the UK we have a situation where humanism and atheism are not part of the "Religious Education" curriculum, and the humanists (BHA) are actually complaining as far as I recall. Sometimes I think that organisation makes it its business to moan and grumble though, even if they do sometimes have a point.

Upvote 0