Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the parable about the 10 virgins — five foolish and five wise — Jesus spoke of the “long delayed” bridegroom (cf. Mt 25:5).

That description could fit Joseph Potenzano.

The 93-year-old is set to wed Mary Elkind, 84, on Oct. 15 at Our Lady of the Visitation in Paramus, New Jersey.

The couple first met 64 years ago at a wedding during which they both were in the bridal party. “I was the best man and Mary, of course, was the maid of honor,” said Potenzano.

“His sister married my cousin,” said Elkind. “Shortly after that wedding, he asked me out and we dated for a little bit. And then I got into Radio City Music Hall. So, I was busy dancing, and then I went away to Europe for a year with a ballet company.”

“I didn’t see her anymore,” said Potenzano of their courtship.

Life took Potenzano and Elkind in different directions. He earned an engineering degree. She pursued her dancing career and eventually married someone else. Potenzano even attended Elkind’s wedding at which he was neither heartsick nor disappointed.

“Because we had not gotten to a very serious state in our affairs, it wasn’t that heavy on me,” said Potenzano.

Even so, the nonagenarian acknowledged that he “missed the boat.” “I missed out on marrying someone that I could have loved,” he said. “Whatever chance I had of ever marrying her early went down the drain.”

Continued below.