Assembly of God and Tongues

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,547.00
Faith
Christian
Check out your statement in #309;
‘Another lie. Paul never said that "no man can ever understand". He said no one in the congregation understood the untranslated language spoken at Corinth”.

Last time I looked that verse was in Chapter 14, not chapter 12. As I said congregational meetings are not mentioned in Chapter 12.

Of course, to negate the old cessationist viewpoint that the operations of the Spirit only benefit “the all” and not the individual Believer, all I need to do is to point to 1 Cor 14:3 where Paul says that the “One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church”, which of course can be rephrased as ‘The one who speaks to the Father in the Spirit through inarticulate tongues EDIFIES HIMSELF, whereas the one who allows the Holy Spirit to speak through him to the congregation through an articulate language EDIFIES the congregation’.

So there we have it folks, Paul has stated that when we speak to the Father through inarticulate tongues that each of us who pray in the Spirit are EDIFIED.

One thing that nobody can fail to notice is that the whole of Paul's epistle to the Corinthians is one of correction whether it be jealousy, sexual immorality, lawsuits, abuse of the Lords table, or as here in Chapter 14 the misuse of spiritual gifts. When Paul said in 14:4 "Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves" he was pointing out the error of their ways, not giving them an exhortation. That is made clear by the rest of Paul's sentence which you conveniently omitted "but the one who prophesies edifies the church". The "but" indicated there it was a problem. They should not have been edifying themselves, but rather the church at large. The reason is because using a spiritual gift for selfish reasons is a misuse of the gift, which were only given for the purpose of serving others:

1 Peter 4:10 "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others,"

1 Cor 12:7 "Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. "

Otherwise it's like an evangelist who only preaches to himself, or a teacher who only gives himself lessons, or someone with the gift of healing who only heals himself. A tongues speaker may have felt good in practicing a miraculous gift in private, but it was totally against its intended purpose.

No, in 1 Cor 12:12-27 Paul makes it absolutely clear that spiritual gifts, like parts of a human body, are put in place to benefit the body of Christ as a whole. A hand doesn't exist to serve itself, nor does an ear exist to serve itself, etc.

In 1 Cor 13:1-3 Paul says spiritual gifts are only to be exercised in love for others. And love is not self-seeking (v5).

If tongues was meant for personal use then it would stand alone among all the other gifts.

As for self-edification and prayer, we only need to return to Jude 20-21 where it says;
“But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life”.

As Jude makes no reference to tongues and 'praying in the Spirit' is certainly not exclusively tongues as Eph 6:18 proves, then this comment may be disregarded.

As I cannot be sure if you are simply trying to be intentionally difficult, I suppose that I can only point you to the who knows how many thousands of commentaries, theses, evangelical and cessationist denominational position papers that have been written over the past 40 years that have addressed the classic-Pentecostal position of subsequence, where the classic-Pentecostal (AoG) bases this understanding on an incorrect reading of the historical material within Acts. For someone who claims to have “undertaken some intensive research on charismatic matters”, I’m surprised that you are not aware of what could be one of the most important theological discussions between the various denominations for decades.

That doesn't answer my question. Here it is again: Where does Luke say that new believers should speak in tongues? That would go against Paul's clear teaching that not everybody can speak in tongues.

"Rhetoric" and "hyperbole" seem to be two very frequent cessationist terms, where I wonder if many cessationists deem Paul's remarks about Jesus being the Son of God and the need for mankind to repent of their sin as being nothing more than hyperbole, oh, that's right, as the liberal element of the Church are all cessationist, where they deem these passages to be hyperbole or finction, then this would be the case.

Now you're just being silly.

So if we can offer words of praise to the Father in words we obviously do not know, then why can we not allow the Holy Spirit to intercede on our behalf to the Father in words we do not know, where the Holy Spirit will only intercede in those areas that we consciously ask him to intercede in.

Eph 6:18 doesn't mention the Holy Spirit interceding on our behalf. It plainly says we ought to make requests for others as we pray in the Spirit. How can you make requests for others when you don't have a clue what you are saying? Praying in the Spirit clearly isn't tongues here.

Neither is it in Jude 20. Nor is the term even mentioned in 1 Cor 14:14-16 where Paul clearly says it is the human spirit that prays in tongues, not the Holy Spirit.

The term 'praying in the Spirit' in Eph 6 and Jude 20 is nothing to do with tongues. It is praying as we are led by the Spirit in our own native language.

The “small Corinthian church”! As we have covered this before in another thread, I am aware that you know full well that this was not the situation.

Ah yes, I remember that thread well. It was when I was able the cite about a dozen bible historians who all agreed the size of the Corinthian church was less than a hundred people. Whereas you were unable to find a single source to support your claim the church ran into the thousands (or even the hundreds).

As I find it hard to believe that anyone actually feels thats the Holy Spirit is not the agency of tongues, then I can put your remark on the shelf as a mere attempt to make a reply without substance.

I'll take that to mean you are unable to respond.

As I've said before, the best defence option for the cessationist is to remain silent!

Judging by the ease at which pentecostal/charismatic teachings can be refuted I'd say it is they who ought to remain silent if only to avoid any further embarrassment to themselves.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Errr...okay!

??

How about the 120 on the Day of Pentecost; then we have the Samaritans in Acts 8 where Simon observed that something special was happening when people were receiving the Holy Spirit, which could only be with how they were speaking in tongues; now for the cessationist, they would never expect to see anything special occuring when someone is Born Again. Then we have the Centurion, his family, friends and associates who were filled with the Spirit with speaking in tongues. Then we have Acts 19 where the Ephesians spoke in tongues. With First Corinthians Paul tells us that the "Father has established within Church (not just Corinth) the Offices of prophecy and tongues which means that probably 99.99% of the early church prophesied and were able to pray in the Spirit.

Of course there is also Eph 6:18 where Paul reminds the Ephesians to pray in the Spirit (Tongues) at all times and the writer of Jude also encourages his readers to pray this way as well.

But as you are basing your view on a reworking of 1Cor 13:10 then we both know that your point is not valid; in fact, I really do not believe that any cessationist honestly believes that 1Cor 13:10 is referring to the completion of the last Book of the Bible.

So your not Reformed or a Calvinist, but then you say that you attended a Presbyterian University - are you maybe saying that they were Arminian Evangelicals and maybe not reformed? From what I have observed over the years, the vast majority of Presbyterians are either Reformed or confessional liberals.

Hey, we've finally found something that we both agree on! As I am not aware of any Pentecostal denomination that believes that the Scriptures are still being written then your point is obviously moot. Of course this is really little more than an old-wives tale that probably had its beginnings within the more asutere form of cessationist Calivinism, where these sad chappies do not even believe that when can pray to the Father and see things being changed as a result. Of course no Evangelical worth his salt would dare say that we cannot pray to the Father to see things changed around. Who would have thought that anyone actually believes that the Scriptures are still being written.

For those who reject that the Father still speaks to us in prayer then this would definitely be their position.

"Apparently ceased", so in all truth you don't really know!

??

I guess that you left your 'Pentecostal' church while you were still a youngster as you certainly have some very odd views when it comes to the Full Gospel, it's almost as if you got them from some pamphlet. As for the next old-wives tale that the Mormons are supposed to speak in tongues, their view is that God gives someone the gift of tongues while they are in one of their colleges so that they can learn a language faster so that they can use it sometime in the future as a missionary; their understanding of tongues has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit speaking through an individual. I have been baiting Mormon door-knockers for at least 30 years on this point as I knew full well even back then that they they rejected tongues, just as their cessationist counterparts do.

As for the JW"s, what a hoot!
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2010735
"Clearly, modern-day speaking in tongues is very different from the gift of holy spirit given to Jesus’ early followers. In fact, there is no reliable record of anyone receiving that same miraculous power since the death of the apostles".
Wow...that could have come out of probably any cessationist pamplet on tongues. As there view is that tongues were used in the early church to the spread the Gospel, which is odd that we have no evidence of this and Paul certainly never talks about it being a possiblity, then the JW's and traditional cessationists share exactly the same position. Tell me, did you really ever attend a Pentecostal church?

"Slain in the Spirit", I agree but as all liberal churchgoers (their the ones who deny that Jesus in the Christ), as each and everyone of them are cessationists, then cessationism is "not Biblical anymore than "liberalism" is Biblical; do you see how easy it can be turned around!

Edit: Fixed faulty 'quote' and typo
You asked.....
"do you see how easy it can be turned around!"

ABSOLUTELY! THAT is the key to all of this my brother.

As I read your comments it is very telling that you are doing exactly that. The only way possible to make your understandings acceptable as a Pentecostal believer to you is to turn the Scriptures around to make them fit what YOU want them to say.

Your questions also say to me that you actually do not read what is posted to you.

You asked me........
"Tell me, did you really ever attend a Pentecostal church?'

But then in this very same posting you said......
"I guess that you left your 'Pentecostal' church while you were still a youngster as you certainly have some very odd views when it comes to the Full Gospel, it's almost as if you got them from some pamphlet."

One of the 1st things I posted in this conversation was the fact that I was raised in the Pentecostal religion. I explained to you what I SAW and experienced that was not Biblical. Now you either do not believe what I said or again, you are choosing to only believe what you want to believe.

I guess you missed that explanation but you did read that I was educated in a Presbyterian school. How interesting that is. You see, even in a conversation you only understood what you wanted to understand.

Now it is obvious that you are comfortable with what you know. I am very glad for you. I however have a different understanding of the same Scriptures.

The Holy Spirit tells us exactly how to understand the meaning of Jehovah's Scriptures. Let us read and understand this inspired verse with thankful hearts to our gracious God; for most Bible students have never read this verse, as they are instead slowly choked to death on dead languages, Spurgeon's sermons, a liberal arts education, and memorizing sermon illustrations.

Nehemiah 8:8........
"So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense,
and caused them to understand the reading."

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Assembly of God believes that speaking in tongues is the evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Are they right?

Partially. The "TYPICAL" experience of being "Endued with Power" to use Jesus' words about Acts 2:4 includes the presence of a "tongue" in your mind which you CAN speak autonomously, and flows from the Holy Spirit.

The REAL "evidence TO ME" was my sudden ability to Teach the Word, which I did for years, and Couldn't have done before.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Partially. The "TYPICAL" experience of being "Endued with Power" to use Jesus' words about Acts 2:4 includes the presence of a "tongue" in your mind which you CAN speak autonomously, and flows from the Holy Spirit.

The REAL "evidence TO ME" was my sudden ability to Teach the Word, which I did for years, and Couldn't have done before.

I can not find the words to express how un-Biblical your comment is.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I can not find the words to express how un-Biblical your comment is.
Could you maybe explain why Bob’s comments were un-Biblical?
As the AoG (or classic-Pentecostal) understanding of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit has been discussed with the AoG at a high scholastic level by all our denominations for at least the past 30 or more years and where you have apparently come from within the AoG, then you should be well equipped to critique Bob’s comments.

Remember, as this thread is about the AoG's views, particularly as it relates to the question of the BHS being one of subsequence then your remarks should be directed toward AoG belief which Bob's views well reflect.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Could you maybe explain why Bob’s comments were un-Biblical?
As the AoG (or classic-Pentecostal) understanding of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit has been discussed with the AoG at a high scholastic level by all our denominations for at least the past 30 or more years and where you have apparently come from within the AoG, then you should be well equipped to critique Bob’s comments.

Remember, as this thread is about the AoG's views, particularly as it relates to the question of the BHS being one of subsequence then your remarks should be directed toward AoG belief which Bob's views well reflect.

My experience in this is that you and others who are entrenched in the AoG doctrine are presented with Bible truth, you will defer to your learned teachehing whether they be right or wrong.

The comment made was............
" The "TYPICAL" experience of being "Endued with Power" to use Jesus' words about Acts 2:4 includes the presence of a "tongue" in your mind which you CAN speak autonomously, and flows from the Holy Spirit."

You are correct in that speaking in tongues has been vigorously debated during the past century. The major questions are these:
1). Why Doesn't every Christian who receives the Holy Spirit speak in tongues?
2). Does speaking in tongues prove that the Holy Spirit has come to a person?
3). Are those who speak in tongues more spiritual or closer to God than those who do not?
4). What role should tongue-speaking have in church meetings?

If the Holy Spirit "endues with power" the ability to speak in tongues when they are filled with the Holy Spirit, then why do some not have that ability.

I know you do not want to hear this but the Bible never tells us that we must speak in tongues whether we are filled with the Holy Spirit or not.

What is happening today does not conform to the biblical example and it must be concluded that this is not biblical tongues. Modern tongues is unintelligible ecstatic speech. The tongues speaker utters sound that no one understands, but he/she believes it is a foreign language. However, no one present knows the what supposed language is being spoken and it cannot be authenticated. It will be proven in the booklet the it is not biblical or a unlearned language, but rather a verbal phenomena practiced by unbiblical faiths, and many pagan religions.

What should be admitted is that there is no example in the New Testament of the use of tongues for any other purpose than to preach the Gospel and proclaim that Jesus was the Christ, the Redeemer. It was a valid sign gift given to Christian to validate that Jesus Christ was the Messiah. It was used of the Holy Spirit to present the Gospel to foreign speaking Jews. When then Jews saw the supernatural gift being practice it was a testimony that Jesus was the Christ and that they one’s practicing the gift were of God.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My experience in this is that you and others who are entrenched in the AoG doctrine are presented with Bible truth, you will defer to your learned teachehing whether they be right or wrong.
You have me rather intrigued as I have never come close to supporting the views of the AoG when it comes to the reception of the Holy Spirit, where their view is one of subsequence and my own, which is undoubtedly the majority view of most contemporary charismatics and certainly all non-classic Pentecostals, is that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is soteriological where all born again Believers receive the BHS at the point of their initiation/conversion, irrespective if they speak in tongues or not. This is why I posed the question “Could you maybe explain why Bob’s comments are unBiblical” as they were not my own.

As you have stated that you have had a history of attendance within the AoG then this is something that I would have thought should have been obvious to you right back at the start of this thread. Now I grant that many people may or may have attended a small congregation within their particular denomination, where the level of teaching could be best described as being rudimentary, so it could be that you had the misfortune of attending such a congregation; but I’m still intrigued as to why you could not pick up that my views stand square against the doctrinal position of the AoG!

The comment made was............
" The "TYPICAL" experience of being "Endued with Power" to use Jesus' words about Acts 2:4 includes the presence of a "tongue" in your mind which you CAN speak autonomously, and flows from the Holy Spirit."
For the Believer who is open to the ministry of the Holy Spirit, be it with tongues, prophecy, healing etc, they definitely tend to be more "powerful" in ministry which is why Pentecostal and charismatic missionaries have been far more successful with reaching people groups that have been traditionally resistant to the Gospel.

You are correct in that speaking in tongues has been vigorously debated during the past century. The major questions are these:

Well, I actually stated that there has been vigorous debate over the past 30 or so years and not a century, where prior to the Charismatic Renewal of the late 60’s and 70’s there was understandably very little interest being shown from within the Evangelical denominations toward the distinctive views of denominations such as the AoG, where classic-Pentecostal (i.e., AoG) views regarding the reception of the Holy Spirit were rightfully deemed to be non-Biblical.

As for the classic-Pentecostal understanding that the BHS is a subsequent experience, where a Believer is further endued with Power from on High, it does not really matter if the BHS is one of subsequence or if it is soteriological, as there is no doubt that Pentecostal (and charismatic) missionaries in particular have been far more effective with reaching the lost in those areas that have been traditionally resistant to the Gospel. This has come about due to such missionaries being more open to both the leading and the Power of the Holy Spirit, whereas their traditionalist predecessors relied more on their denominations doctrine than with power.

(1). Why Doesn't every Christian who receives the Holy Spirit speak in tongues?
There are good reasons for this, for many such as myself who came to the Lord within a cessationist environment as a teenager, it meant that I was one of those who Paul spoke of in 1Cor 12:1, being one of the ignorant or unlearned. So poor teaching can certainly isolate people from the Gospel which is why it took me around 18 months to work out that what I was experiencing around me was vastly different to the written testimony of the New Testament Church.

Now there are certainly those who for whatever reason have struggled to allow the Holy Spirit to pray to the Father through them. For me, I know that I walked away from the very dedicated and helpful individuals who were praying for me and maybe a dozen others to receive what I understood then as being the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, where I incorrectly presumed that the BHS was intended to be subsequent to our initial conversion experience. But anyway, it was about four hours later when I “decided” or “chose” or where I maybe chose to “cast away my hangups” or whatever it was, where I was then able to then pray in the Spirit. As for those who take days, weeks, months or years before they allow themselves to pray in the Spirit, I really cannot say why, other than they may have been as I was, where maybe my Western programmed mind was getting in the way?

(2). Does speaking in tongues prove that the Holy Spirit has come to a person?
Now this is where things become interesting.

Back in 1971 the Evangelical scholar James D.G. Dunn released his pivotal work titled, Baptism in the Holy Spirit: A Re-examination of the New Testament on the Gift of the Spirit (1971); even though it took almost 15 years before a Pentecostal replied to his work, his fair critique of classic-Pentecostal doctrine has helped many to correct those doctrines that needed correction, where a reply to Dunn’s work was followed up by the classic-Pentecostal Roger Stronstad titled The Charismatic Theology of St. Luke (1984) which has unfortunately helped the AoG to prop up their incorrect understanding of the reception of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit as being one of subsequence – which is unfortunate.

The AoG’s position (subsequent to Strondstadt’s work) has given rise to the notion that Luke’s charismatic theology trumps that of Paul, where Luke’s historical writings are given precedence of Paul who provides absolutely no hint that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is anything else but soteriological.

Craig Keener, who is a non-tongues speaking charismatic has made a few pertinent comments in his Book titled Acts: An Exegetical Commentary (2012) where his comments on p830 will reflect the views of better scholarship, be it cessationist, Evangelical or Pentecostal;

(p.826) ‘Tongues as “initial evidence” of baptism in the Spirit became the dominant view among classical Pentecostals, however, despite dissent from some of its leading figures. This might be a minority view among [contemporary] global charismatics [he might mean Pentecostals] and certainly is so among charismatics in most traditional denominations. . . .”

(p.828) “Tongues speaking itself is not simply one sign among many, only arbitrarily connected with Spirit baptism. Rather, it is intrinsically connected with Luke’s emphasis on the Spirit’s empowerment to proclaim Christ cross-culturally (1:8). It may not be necessary to evidence the cross-cultural facility of every individual recipient, but in Luke’s narrative it does evidence the character of Spirit baptism itself, explicating for Luke the nature of that empowerment”.

(p.830) “Thus I would argue that Luke does in fact use tongues as evidence of baptism in the Spirit and in one sense would argue this more strongly than most traditional Pentecostals: tongues is not an arbitrary evidence but is highlighted because it is intrinsically related to the point of what Luke means by baptism in the Spirit”.​

(3). Are those who speak in tongues more spiritual or closer to God than those who do not?
This question is somewhat complicated in that there are a number of interconnecting and often opposing issues at play, but overall I would be more inclined to say that someone who allows the Holy Spirit to pray through them in tongues that they would at least be more spiritually cognisant but not necessarily more spiritual than say the average Evangelical who for whatever reason is not alert to the things of the Spirit.

On the other hand, when we consider those who are open to the things of the Holy Spirit, where they regularly pray in the Holy Spirit and are open to the other Manifestations of the Spirit, if we were to compare them to those who have taken a long term and aggressive hard-core stand against the Person and Ministry of the Holy Spirit, then I would lean toward the view that as the second group is working from within a framework of unbelief then my response what certainly change.

(4). What role should tongue-speaking have in church meetings?
When we speak or sing in the Holy Spirit during congregational worship its sole purpose is for praise to the Father, where each of the three given prayers of adoration must be articulated so that the congregations can gain an understanding of what was being said to the Father.

There are many who still believe (as I once did) that the formula tongues + interpretation = prophecy but this has absolutely no Scriptural foundation.

I know you do not want to hear this but the Bible never tells us that we must speak in tongues whether we are filled with the Holy Spirit or not.
I have no idea how you have come to this conclusion and why you supposedly know my views so well when as I have already explained throughout this and other threads that I believe no such thing.

What is happening today does not conform to the biblical example and it must be concluded that this is not biblical tongues. Modern tongues is unintelligible ecstatic speech. The tongues speaker utters sound that no one understands, but he/she believes it is a foreign language. However, no one present knows the what supposed language is being spoken and it cannot be authenticated. It will be proven in the booklet the it is not biblical or a unlearned language,
Paul has explained in some detail within First Corinthians that when we pray to the Father through the Holy Spirit (tongues), that the Spirit will always communicate to the Father through inarticulate (angelic) tongues. This means that no one who is present and hears what the Spirit is saying to the Father is capable of understanding what the Spirit is saying – so there is no point to answer.

but rather a verbal phenomena practiced by unbiblical faiths, and many pagan religions.
This amounts to little more than an old-wives tale where there has never been any serious work that has demonstrate this, but of course it is something that many humanist sociologists attempt to hoodwink people with, but of course this fits in well with their humanist agenda.

What should be admitted is that there is no example in the New Testament of the use of tongues for any other purpose than to preach the Gospel and proclaim that Jesus was the Christ, the Redeemer. It was a valid sign gift given to Christian to validate that Jesus Christ was the Messiah. It was used of the Holy Spirit to present the Gospel to foreign speaking Jews. When then Jews saw the supernatural gift being practice it was a testimony that Jesus was the Christ and that they one’s practicing the gift were of God.
I’ll take the position that you are probably saying something that you do not really believe as it is impossible to demonstrate from within the Scriptures that tongues has the ability to be used to present the Gospel, there is simply no support for such a notion. Even on the Day of Pentecost we find that the content of the words that the 120 were speaking through the Spirit were words of praise about the mighty works of God, which is what the congregational use of tongues is about. If Peter had not of provided an evangelistic message, the vast majority of the crowd (if not all of them) would have walked away thinking that the 120 were speaking pre-rehearsed sentences in languages that they did not know and that would have been about it. As for tongues being a supposed “sign gift that speaks of Jesus”, I would have thought that this particular notion would be easily dismissed as even the Jews who approached the 120 made no mention that there was any reference to Jesus in what they heard.

Question: Do you believe that when Believers pray to the Father that he will both speak to his children and that our prayers have the ability to change specific events in the future.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You have me rather intrigued as I have never come close to supporting the views of the AoG when it comes to the reception of the Holy Spirit, where their view is one of subsequence and my own, which is undoubtedly the majority view of most contemporary charismatics and certainly all non-classic Pentecostals, is that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is soteriological where all born again Believers receive the BHS at the point of their initiation/conversion, irrespective if they speak in tongues or not. This is why I posed the question “Could you maybe explain why Bob’s comments are unBiblical” as they were not my own.

As you have stated that you have had a history of attendance within the AoG then this is something that I would have thought should have been obvious to you right back at the start of this thread. Now I grant that many people may or may have attended a small congregation within their particular denomination, where the level of teaching could be best described as being rudimentary, so it could be that you had the misfortune of attending such a congregation; but I’m still intrigued as to why you could not pick up that my views stand square against the doctrinal position of the AoG!

For the Believer who is open to the ministry of the Holy Spirit, be it with tongues, prophecy, healing etc, they definitely tend to be more "powerful" in ministry which is why Pentecostal and charismatic missionaries have been far more successful with reaching people groups that have been traditionally resistant to the Gospel.

Well, I actually stated that there has been vigorous debate over the past 30 or so years and not a century, where prior to the Charismatic Renewal of the late 60’s and 70’s there was understandably very little interest being shown from within the Evangelical denominations toward the distinctive views of denominations such as the AoG, where classic-Pentecostal (i.e., AoG) views regarding the reception of the Holy Spirit were rightfully deemed to be non-Biblical.

As for the classic-Pentecostal understanding that the BHS is a subsequent experience, where a Believer is further endued with Power from on High, it does not really matter if the BHS is one of subsequence or if it is soteriological, as there is no doubt that Pentecostal (and charismatic) missionaries in particular have been far more effective with reaching the lost in those areas that have been traditionally resistant to the Gospel. This has come about due to such missionaries being more open to both the leading and the Power of the Holy Spirit, whereas their traditionalist predecessors relied more on their denominations doctrine than with power.

There are good reasons for this, for many such as myself who came to the Lord within a cessationist environment as a teenager, it meant that I was one of those who Paul spoke of in 1Cor 12:1, being one of the ignorant or unlearned. So poor teaching can certainly isolate people from the Gospel which is why it took me around 18 months to work out that what I was experiencing around me was vastly different to the written testimony of the New Testament Church.

Now there are certainly those who for whatever reason have struggled to allow the Holy Spirit to pray to the Father through them. For me, I know that I walked away from the very dedicated and helpful individuals who were praying for me and maybe a dozen others to receive what I understood then as being the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, where I incorrectly presumed that the BHS was intended to be subsequent to our initial conversion experience. But anyway, it was about four hours later when I “decided” or “chose” or where I maybe chose to “cast away my hangups” or whatever it was, where I was then able to then pray in the Spirit. As for those who take days, weeks, months or years before they allow themselves to pray in the Spirit, I really cannot say why, other than they may have been as I was, where maybe my Western programmed mind was getting in the way?

Now this is where things become interesting.

Back in 1971 the Evangelical scholar James D.G. Dunn released his pivotal work titled, Baptism in the Holy Spirit: A Re-examination of the New Testament on the Gift of the Spirit (1971); even though it took almost 15 years before a Pentecostal replied to his work, his fair critique of classic-Pentecostal doctrine has helped many to correct those doctrines that needed correction, where a reply to Dunn’s work was followed up by the classic-Pentecostal Roger Stronstad titled The Charismatic Theology of St. Luke (1984) which has unfortunately helped the AoG to prop up their incorrect understanding of the reception of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit as being one of subsequence – which is unfortunate.

The AoG’s position (subsequent to Strondstadt’s work) has given rise to the notion that Luke’s charismatic theology trumps that of Paul, where Luke’s historical writings are given precedence of Paul who provides absolutely no hint that the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is anything else but soteriological.

Craig Keener, who is a non-tongues speaking charismatic has made a few pertinent comments in his Book titled Acts: An Exegetical Commentary (2012) where his comments on p830 will reflect the views of better scholarship, be it cessationist, Evangelical or Pentecostal;

(p.826) ‘Tongues as “initial evidence” of baptism in the Spirit became the dominant view among classical Pentecostals, however, despite dissent from some of its leading figures. This might be a minority view among [contemporary] global charismatics [he might mean Pentecostals] and certainly is so among charismatics in most traditional denominations. . . .”

(p.828) “Tongues speaking itself is not simply one sign among many, only arbitrarily connected with Spirit baptism. Rather, it is intrinsically connected with Luke’s emphasis on the Spirit’s empowerment to proclaim Christ cross-culturally (1:8). It may not be necessary to evidence the cross-cultural facility of every individual recipient, but in Luke’s narrative it does evidence the character of Spirit baptism itself, explicating for Luke the nature of that empowerment”.

(p.830) “Thus I would argue that Luke does in fact use tongues as evidence of baptism in the Spirit and in one sense would argue this more strongly than most traditional Pentecostals: tongues is not an arbitrary evidence but is highlighted because it is intrinsically related to the point of what Luke means by baptism in the Spirit”.​

This question is somewhat complicated in that there are a number of interconnecting and often opposing issues at play, but overall I would be more inclined to say that someone who allows the Holy Spirit to pray through them in tongues that they would at least be more spiritually cognisant but not necessarily more spiritual than say the average Evangelical who for whatever reason is not alert to the things of the Spirit.

On the other hand, when we consider those who are open to the things of the Holy Spirit, where they regularly pray in the Holy Spirit and are open to the other Manifestations of the Spirit, if we were to compare them to those who have taken a long term and aggressive hard-core stand against the Person and Ministry of the Holy Spirit, then I would lean toward the view that as the second group is working from within a framework of unbelief then my response what certainly change.

When we speak or sing in the Holy Spirit during congregational worship its sole purpose is for praise to the Father, where each of the three given prayers of adoration must be articulated so that the congregations can gain an understanding of what was being said to the Father.

There are many who still believe (as I once did) that the formula tongues + interpretation = prophecy but this has absolutely no Scriptural foundation.

I have no idea how you have come to this conclusion and why you supposedly know my views so well when as I have already explained throughout this and other threads that I believe no such thing.

Paul has explained in some detail within First Corinthians that when we pray to the Father through the Holy Spirit (tongues), that the Spirit will always communicate to the Father through inarticulate (angelic) tongues. This means that no one who is present and hears what the Spirit is saying to the Father is capable of understanding what the Spirit is saying – so there is no point to answer.

This amounts to little more than an old-wives tale where there has never been any serious work that has demonstrate this, but of course it is something that many humanist sociologists attempt to hoodwink people with, but of course this fits in well with their humanist agenda.

I’ll take the position that you are probably saying something that you do not really believe as it is impossible to demonstrate from within the Scriptures that tongues has the ability to be used to present the Gospel, there is simply no support for such a notion. Even on the Day of Pentecost we find that the content of the words that the 120 were speaking through the Spirit were words of praise about the mighty works of God, which is what the congregational use of tongues is about. If Peter had not of provided an evangelistic message, the vast majority of the crowd (if not all of them) would have walked away thinking that the 120 were speaking pre-rehearsed sentences in languages that they did not know and that would have been about it. As for tongues being a supposed “sign gift that speaks of Jesus”, I would have thought that this particular notion would be easily dismissed as even the Jews who approached the 120 made no mention that there was any reference to Jesus in what they heard.

Question: Do you believe that when Believers pray to the Father that he will both speak to his children and that our prayers have the ability to change specific events in the future.

Lots and lots of info there in your post. You have overpowered me with words.

I really do not know how to say my position any clearer that I have already stated it but I will try.

My knowledge came from what I experienced. I saw that people were TAUGHT to speak in tongues. That my friend is not a gift at all and the truth is that it is still takeing place today.

I appreciate your desire and your het but it seems to me that you are trying to tell us about the goal of the AoG and not the reality of what has happened.

I will say again and believe with all of my heart and rely on the bible itself which declares that tongues was a temporary spiritual gift and they no longer exist. I have stated and do again that in 1 Corinthians 13:8 it says ''Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease...".

I am baffled at how those words are so hard for some people to understand.

The purpose of the gift of tongues was to warn Israel of the impending judgment coming on it, and to get them to turn back to God. The Jews were always wanting signs from God. So God gave them a sign. The Holy Spirit gave the APOSTLES the gift of speaking in foreign languages to their fellow Jews.

The gift of tongues required that someone else who had the gift of interpreting tongues, be present so that what was being spoke by the person in 'tongues' could be translated to the crowd of onlookers. And it all had to do with the fact that Jerusalem and the temple were going to be destroyed and the Jews were going to be dispersed through out the world.

Two things then happened that caused tongues to CEASE.
1).
When Jerusalem was destroyed in A.D. 70, there was no more need for the gift.

2).
John, the last APOSTLE To die finished the bible hence again, no more need for the gift.

The tongues crowd today are not speaking tongues, and interpreting them as is described in the bible. Now I have no idea where you attend church at. But I promise you that what I have described to you is the reality of today's AoG tongue talking services.

Your question to me was..............
"Do you believe that when Believers pray to the Father that he will both speak to his children and that our prayers have the ability to change specific events in the future."

That is not a simple question and there is not a simple answer.

On one hand, JAMES 5:16 says that our prayers can accomplish much. So, we have to ask how our requests to God can accomplish anything if God not only knows what we are going to pray, but has also ordained our prayers from the foundation of the world as se we in Eph. 1:11?

The simple answer is that it is beyond our ability to comprehend. The Bible does not tell us how our interaction with God works, but it does tell us God hears our prayers when we pray according to his will in 1st John 5:14. Such is the paradox in which we find ourselves.

Now then, please understand that paradoxes occur only when there are absolutes. It is absolutely true that God knows all things and has ordained whatsoever shall come to pass, but this does not mean that he causes people to sin. It is also true that God desires that we pray. So how do our prayers influence God when he has ordained those very prayers to occur? Again, we don't know.

It would seem, however, that we "influence" God when we are in his will. In other words, if we are walking in the will of God and we ask God for something in prayer, then we are more likely to receive an answer because we are doing what he wants. In contrast, if we are out of the will of God and we ask him for something, he will not give it since it is not in his will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate your desire and your het but it seems to me that you are trying to tell us about the goal of the AoG and not the reality of what has happened.
Wow . . . considering that my position with regard to the Baptism in the Holy Spirit stands square against that of the AoG which should be obvious to anyone, where I have even given you some help to counter their position; I have to wonder where you are coming from - it certainly is a bit odd!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums